shadetree

My cabin front deck

The Kraft side of the insulation is supposed to face the living space.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:26 PM, PROV said:

The Kraft side of the insulation is supposed to face the living space.

yeah...i know which way insulation faces...trust me..i've hung a ton of it...nothing like scratching all day !..lol.

• Like 2

update: been working my tail off on this cabin work, purchased some pink foam board to lay in between the ceiling joist, get down there , only to find out...I DID PUT THE JOIST ON 24 CENTER !..AGHHHH !!, had to drive right back to town ( 1 hr each way ), take the foam board back to homedepot, was gonna grab some 24 inch wide insulation to staple up in between the joist, now i find out homedepot does not have any insulation in stock for this game plan ?..well crap..i go across the street to lowes, pick up 3 bats of R-19 made for 2x6 walls, 3 inches thick, 24 inches wide, good enough. considering there never was insulation in the ceiling to start with ?, this is a plus !!. i got most of the runs stapled up, it was late when i quit lastnight, called it a day/night, came home. just woke up a few min's ago, trying to get awake enough to gather some stuff, and head back down there. i'll get some pic's of the progress if i remember ??..lol. wish me luck !.

• Like 3

update: as promised, here is a few pic's of my bedroom insulation work so far, man..this is killing this old man big time !!. as luck would prove to be bad for me ?, i come to find out the shower stall was cracked/broken when i got to that area in the bed room to remove the paneling from around the bathroom area ?!..omg..now i'm looking at a new shower !!. this remodeling inside is costing me about as much for the inside as it did for the outside !!.

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

• Like 1

update; a few pic's of the ceiling up. i was just sitting here looking at the pics before i posted them, and luck strikes me again !..while looking at the bathroom area, i noticed i forgot to add the power wire for a light switch, and light fixture out of the ceiling ?!..grrrrr. looks like i'll be taking some screws out of that one piece of plywood over the bath area to run some power to a light fixture..oh well...story of my life.

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drill a hole. Tie a magnet to the wire.  Take another magnet.  Make the two magnets make contact thru the wood and drag the wire To the wall and drill a hole to fish it thru 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 8:22 AM, Fishfiles said:

Drill a hole. Tie a magnet to the wire.  Take another magnet.  Make the two magnets make contact thru the wood and drag the wire To the wall and drill a hole to fish it thru 

how's that gonna work when you got 6 inches of insulation in the attic there ??..lol.

got the walls insulated, flooring down, walls paneled some, vanity cabinet, med cabinet, and light installed over vanity. cut out a spot for a exhaust fan/light combo, i got a plan to run power to it later. right now i need to finish getting last wall paneled, then i will put down some vinyl flooring, but first i need to get the ceiling painted before flooring goes down. also need to trim out corners and ceiling with some trim before i paint..grrrr...too many things to do all at once..lol. here is some pic's of my progress so far. i installed a couple attic vents on both sides of cabin so the attic can vent. go a new bed room window installed. had to move the outlet and switch for vanity light, as there was no room for them to stay where i had them.

not sure what was up with the squirrel ?, but it died later on, tossed it out of my yard. gonna head back down there here soon, finish putting rest of paneling up. then start painting the ceiling , i hate painting !!..lol.

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

• Like 2

update: got the floor down, toilet back down, all paneling up, ceiling painted ( no pic of ceiling ), vanity put back in after flooring was down. this was my very first time doing vinyl flooring , it turned out pretty good for my first time, hated the sticky glue part of doing it..i think i got more on me than the floor ??..lol. i should have rented a heavy roller to roll over it to work it down more ?, but i just used my hands to work the bubbles out. the flooring wood should have been partical board , but i used what i call wafer board, and the large chips '' kinda '' ( not too bad though ) show through the vinyl ?..but hey..its just a lake house/shack/ home away from home that beats sleeping in a tent . ( which i will never do again !! ). it is starting to looking like a decent place once again..and i am very pleased with the way it is turning out :-). i had one heck of a time unrolling the 12x20 feet roll of vinyl inside the bedroom that is only 9x16 !! once i got it unrolled, i pre-cut the length and width to be higher than the end walls, and same with the side walls. once i got that done, i pulled the flooring back half way, then put down the glue, then got behind the roll, and pushed it to the end wall, then repeated the process to get the other half of the room down. 

yesterday was a very bad day working down there, i left the house at 3am, headed down to cabin, on the way there, i ran over an arkansas gator ( everyone knows what a state highway gator is..right ? ) that was on I-40 !, when i seen it in my lane ?, it was too late to avoid hitting it, got to cabin, went in..started the floor work, got half way gluing floor down, discovered i did not get enough glue ?!..crap..ok..i'll put the toilet down, NOPE !!..the toilet flange kit i bought would not work !..well crap..ok..i'll drive back home..grab some more glue and pick up another wax ring, got home, unhooked trailer, went back down to cabin, got the rest of floor down, got toilet down. time to unbox new shower combo, got the surround opened, moved it to bed room, opened bath tub, only to find out a section THAT WAS COVERED IN THICK STYROFOAM AT THAT !!!..was cracked big time !!!..omfg..you have got to be kidding me ??!!. i'm 50 miles from homedepot, not a closer store near me..well..that's it..i'm going back home. i stopped off at home depot, got another tub, drove the rest of the way home..parked my butt here. siting here now after waking up, trying to gather my wits about making another drive back down there to try and get the bathroom walls built ?..lol.

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

here is a pic of the bathroom going back together, i got more done last night on the walls, ran out of lumber, but did get one wall up, but no pic, i worked until midnight last night, got home, crashed.

IMG_0250.JPG

• Like 1

update: a few more things done last night ( 7-4-2022 ), got the tub down in its place, floor had to be cut for the drain to drop down through in order for the tub drain to let the tub sit flat, tub walls together, all went together great. got the walls built, door is just sitting in the wall frame, i started at 8:30pm, worked until 3:00am, drove home, was 4am when i got home, crashed.

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

• Like 4

update: finally got the shower faucet installed, AFTER I HAD TO BRING IT BACK, GET ANOTHER TYPE/ BRAND THAT WOULD FIT THE SURROUND WALL ?!...LOL. i feel sorry for anyone that comes across remodeling a bathroom ?..it sucks !. installing all those parts for the faucet, boards to hold them, and making sure it all fit right ?..yeah..it wore me out big time !. anyway, i got it all in the surround and i must say, it turned out pretty good. i stopped working on trim, base board, because my dewalt finish nail gun decided to not work right, set it aside, went and bought a new one. i did how ever get the broken one fixed..turns out..i very tiny o-ring on the bottom of the trigger was not only broken ?, but totally gone !, good ole harbor freight o-ring kit to the rescue. took couple days off, i needed some rest. been working on a well water filter system, trying to gather all the parts to put it together, let me tell ya..it gets very high dollar when buying sharkbite fittings !..lol. i will head down to cabin monday early, and start installing this filter system, taking today off to go tend to my garden. here is a couple pics of the shower/tub progress.

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

• Like 4

update: got the well water filter system installed, took me pretty much all day to get it done. i wanted to install a bypass line at the filter rack ?, but my well house was not big enough to allow me to do it, so i had to just put it together with just the line going in through the filter system, then out. i am kinda troubled at the pressure coming out of filter system ?, i have great pressure at the pre- sediment glass filter, but after the main filters, the pressure is not as high as i'd like it to be ?, i am going to contact the makers of this system, and ask them why my pressure lower after the filters ?. at the pump side, i'm getting about 80-85 psi, then after the filters, its down to about 50-60 psi, not sure if this is normal or what ?, but i will find out. i had to re-arrange my pump motor and pressure tank to get my lines to go where i needed them in order to plug everything up to the pre-filter ( the glass filter ). yes, i know there is a few elbows in the line, but i did not have a choice, seeing how there was not much room to work with. here is a couple pic's of my install.

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

• Like 4

update: regarding water filter system, spoke to a rep at the place that sells these water filter systems ( A REAL PERSON ANSWERED THE PHONE ! ) , he explained to me on phone, more than likely my pressure is low on filter side ( the big 3 canisters ) is because the spin down pre-filter is 50 micron ( the glass filter ), a larger mircon spin down filter '' should '' ?..solve my problem. he told me he would send two larger spin down filters out to me at no cost ? ( just..wow ! ) we'll see if he does this ?.

• Like 2

I had a whole home filter on my house than my grandad and I installed when I was a teenager.  They definitely knock down your water pressure.

The company that made my system went out of business, so I couldn't get filters anymore, so for now mine is bypassed.  Of course, not a big deal to swap fittings to use another company's filters, but just not something that's been high on my list of priorities, especially since my womenfolk all demand bottled water.  Of course, the truck that delivers the 5 gal water bottles hasn't shown up to the local store lately, so that might change in the near future, as I'm down to my last two....LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I had a whole home filter on my house than my grandad and I installed when I was a teenager.  They definitely knock down your water pressure.

The company that made my system went out of business, so I couldn't get filters anymore, so for now mine is bypassed.  Of course, not a big deal to swap fittings to use another company's filters, but just not something that's been high on my list of priorities, especially since my womenfolk all demand bottled water.  Of course, the truck that delivers the 5 gal water bottles hasn't shown up to the local store lately, so that might change in the near future, as I'm down to my last two....LOL

lol..the company that sold me this system is called ispring water, do contact them if you need any help fixing your current system. i got an email from that guy saying the free filters were shipped out today..at no cost !..where do you get that service from ??.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

update: got all the trim up, base board down, i see light at the end of the tunnel !!..lol. worked 12 1/2 hrs yesterday, started at 4:30 am, then stopped at 5:00 pm. loaded truck up with most of my tools, made the drive home, ate some food, crashed around 7:30 PM ( not really sure what time it was ?..i was dead in the water when i got home ). all i like now is cleaning the scrap lumber and junk out of the yard near back door, clean off front porch, clean inside cabin out and up with its mess, fix the front entry door inside floor, then paint the ceiling in the main room, do a little painting up top around the surround on bathtub, some caulking, then i will be done for the most part. this inside work to me was just as bad as rebuilding the dang roof !!..lol.

I'm about 3k into supplies, not counting the gas money it took to drive back and forth, ( thanks to the high cost of gas ). anyway, here is the progress pics of all the work i did yesterday. as explained above, i still have a bunch of little stuff to finish, but it wont be too bad to do, seeing how most of the hard work is done now.

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

• Like 5

update: ok outlaws, i am nearing the finish line !!. i got a lot of little things completed these last few day's, all windows are trimmed out, entry door floor has been fixed up with left over flooring from bedroom, all ac outlets installed, installed an exhaust fan on front porch, but i did not get a pic of it ( i'll get one of it here soon ). all i like now is shampooing the carpet in main room, some cleaning (dusting is more like it ), empty out the storage shed, and i should have everything done ?. taking today off, i'll head back down there sunday. here is a few progress pic's of my recent work.

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

• Like 6

Dang Shade, that looks really nice, you do good work. enjoy, have a Bud... derf

Good job. Any permanent injuries i.e. missing fingers?

On 7/23/2022 at 9:30 PM, PROV said:

Good job. Any permanent injuries i.e. missing fingers?

haha..no..did not lose any fingers !..rofl. 

• Like 1