450foreman04

2004 450 ES won’t shift after engine reinstall

Ok, so I am coming over from the other forum.  Here is the conversation I had over there.  https://www.hondaforeman.com/threads/rear-crankcase-cover-gasket.166903/#post-3188507

I had an oil leak at the rear engine cover. Went to replace gasket.   Dropped swing arm to do that.  When pulling the rear cover the gearshift spindle came out.  I ended up having to remove front cover to get that all squared away.  It was a pain so I pulled the entire motor out.  I am pretty sure I put everything back together correctly.  I followed the manual and am fairly handy.  Added oil, turned key, and it said it was in 3rd gear and the electric shift wouldn’t do anything.  I tried the manual shift and went the wrong way and ended up in 4th gear.  Now it won’t move with electric shift or manual shift.  It was a little harder than normal to shift it I think, but I didn’t force anything. Figured it just needed to get oil moving for things to slide easier?  I tried rocking the machine a little and that didn’t seem to help.  I disconnected battery hoping to reset any sensors that might be off.  When I reconnected and tried to shift the 4 (gear indicator) flashes twice. No idea if that helps.  I disconnected battery for the night hoping that tomorrow I will hook it back up and magically it will have reset and will let me get it into neutral to see if I can get it to start.   Any ideas what to look at or where to start checking things?  Reminder the entire engine was removed.  

I’m not gonna lie this turned into a ! of a lot more than I was expecting.  I thought I could handle the rear cover gasket but it spiraled quickly.  By that point I was too far in and had too many pieces out to give up.  I should’ve probably taken it in but didn’t want to show up with it partially disassembled.  Wish I had.  Anyone recommend a good mechanic in NW WI that would be willing to take over this to check what I’ve done and fix it for me?  I called the Honda dealer in the area and they didn’t seem interested in taking it over at this point.  The guy is a dick and I avoid going there whenever possible, but I’m at the point I sucked it up and was going to pay someone to give me attitude and treat me like !.   But, they don’t even want me bringing it in.  The next closest dealer is an hour away and I may give them a call tomorrow.  A few guys I know always drive the hour just to avoid the local dealer because he is such an !.  I’m about ready to give up and sell it for parts!   Anyone looking for a parts machine in WI?

calm down bro, its not the end of the world. first off, from reading your post ^^^, to me, this sounds like a simple problem. what you have done is just get the shifting shaft out of alignment is all. so, lets back up a tad, and get you fixed up !. drain the oil back out, pull both the front and rear covers again ( yes..i know..you dont want to, but it must be done !..lol ). on the rear engine cover, there is your gear position switch, it has a tang on the top of it as your looking down on it, notice one end of it is longer than the other side ?. now right under it is the top of the switch that has the letter N stamped on it, turn the gear position switch tang where the longer end is over the letter N. so far..so good !. now check to make sure all shafts, parts are where they are suppose to be before you slide the rear cover back on, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FORGET ANY AND ALL THRUST WASHERS !!!!. now to the front of engine, after cover is off, check to make sure your shifting shaft is lined up with all punch parts that go to centrifugal clutch, and all parts in this area are put together right ?. put the cover back on, DON'T FILL WITH OIL YET !!. turn key on, if you put the rear back together right ?, you should see neutral on the dash ?. if so ?..GREAT SO FAR !. if you put the front back together right ?, you should now be able to switch gears with the electric shift now ?. if it still does not work ?, bring it down to me here in arkansas, i'll fix it, yu'll spend more in gas than what i'll charge you for labor..i'll bank on this !..lol.

I'm betting the first tank of fuel will be more than the case of cold ones that he will charge for *labor*!!😯

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pampas56 said:

I'm betting the first tank of fuel will be more than the case of cold ones that he will charge for *labor*!!😯

lol, thing is, i don't drink much beer ?!, so your prob right !..lol.

4 minutes ago, shadetree said:

lol, thing is, i don't drink much beer ?!, so your prob right !..lol.

I don't drink alcohol at all.  That's why I specified a case of "cold ones".  Could be soda, iced tea or even ice cream bars! 😁

42 minutes ago, Pampas56 said:

I don't drink alcohol at all.  That's why I specified a case of "cold ones".  Could be soda, iced tea or even ice cream bars! 😁

shhss..don't give him any idea's !..lol.

• Haha 1

Arkansas... is that South enough that ya’ll drink sweet tea?  I’d be happy to give you some Liptons or Snapple if you help me out.  I could bring down some cold pop as well.  😂  It’s about 14 hours and 1,000 miles to Little Rock (I don’t know any other cities in Arkansas 🤷🏻‍♂️).   That’s about 130 gallons of fuel in my truck for a trip there and back... $250 in gas.  Last time I checked with the Honda dealer they wanted $150 labor to replace my carburetor primer/plunger for cold starting.  That was a pretty quick and easy job so I can’t imagine what they’d want to do this...   I might be saving money and getting to see Arkansas 😜

While I don’t like that I have to tear it apart again I appreciate the info.  Knowing a place to start and how to check it saves me a lot of time trying random stuff.  Thanks!

Edited by 450foreman04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 450foreman04 said:

Arkansas... is that South enough that ya’ll drink sweet tea?  I’d be happy to give you some Liptons or Snapple if you help me out.  I could bring down some cold pop as well.  😂  It’s about 14 hours and 1,000 miles to Little Rock (I don’t know any other cities in Arkansas 🤷🏻‍♂️).   That’s about 130 gallons of fuel in my truck for a trip there and back... $250 in gas.  Last time I checked with the Honda dealer they wanted $150 labor to replace my carburetor primer/plunger for cold starting.  That was a pretty quick and easy job so I can’t imagine what they’d want to do this...   I might be saving money and getting to see Arkansas 😜

While I don’t like that I have to tear it apart again I appreciate the info.  Knowing a place to start and how to check it saves me a lot of time trying random stuff.  Thanks!

trust me, my labor for forum members are ALMOST FREE !..LOL. if ya get stuck ?, holler !!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I bet a cooler of shrimp would be nice , LOL 

ya just had to go there didn't ya !..lol.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 450foreman04 said:

Arkansas... is that South enough that ya’ll drink sweet tea?  I’d be happy to give you some Liptons or Snapple if you help me out.  I could bring down some cold pop as well.

Is there another kind of tea?

And in the South pop is a grandfather, or what you do to a balloon.  It is never used to describe a drink.  it's Coke.  It doesn't matter if it's Sprite, Pepsi, or Dr Pepper.  It's Coke.  When you ask someone if they want a Coke, that is asking them if they want a carbonated soft drink.  They'll say "Sure" and then you ask what kind they specifically want.

Yes I know, makes perfect sense.  LOL

• Like 2

450Foreman04 , I have a couple of 450s , but don't  know much about the ES cause I am in the Foot Clan , I  seen your thread was not getting quick attention , so I called in the Guru for you and told him we had a Brother Member looking for some help , he will set you straight and I know he does likes him some shrimp , I can get my own shrimp , but do like Green Apple Crown  , LOL 

Jeep , another way we use " POP " down here is to " pop a cap " , can be used two ways , 1) pop a cap of a long neck beer  , or 2 ) pop a cap on the !!!!! = ( bullet  ) 

450', Show us some pics of what you working on !!! 

• Like 2

yep it just like that here to, jeep... i did hear some people call them pop...... now people call them cold drinks ... and pop a cap was the same as opening a bottle of suds aka beer..  now when you ask for coke ... you get looked at sideways depending on what place your at.....  now people say coca cola , or just plain cola ... and pop a cap... has a entirely defent meaning ...now lol! 

man how things have changed sence the good ol days ... 

• Like 1