jeepwm69

Gear reductions and tire sizes for Honda ATV's

Credit to "intoodeep" over on the Highlifter board for this listing, which was done in about 2011.  The info is good info, and with no traffic over on the HL board I figured I would copy the info before it disappears.

kids tire (true mud tire) guide for honda atvs

Since the honda section has more " can i spin x tire with my bike" threads then all other brand sections combined, i thought this would help the youngsters.
300 stock 25s
300 w small gr 27s
300 w big gr 29.5-30
350 rancher stock 26s
350 rancher with 23% gr 27-28
350 rancher with big gr 29.5-30
400 rancher stock not possible
400 rancher gr 26s
420sra stock 27s
420sra w small gr 28s
420sra w 2 small gr 29.5-30
420sra w 35% gr 29.5-30s
420sra w 50% gr 32s
420sra w 69% gr 32s
420sra w 84% gr 32.5s (mambas are heavy lol)
420 at stock 25s
420at w sra.gr 27s
420at w big gr 28s
450 stock 27s
450 small gr 28s
450 big gr 29.5-30s
500 foreman refer to.the 420 sra chart.
Rincon 650/680 stock 26s
rincon small gr28s
rincon brgr 29.5-30s
These are facts based on pb mud on stop and go ( suction had set in) riding. If you ride in watery mud you can can go up 1-2 sizes. Hope this helps, and remember kids stay in school and away from drugs and always wear a helmet while riding. Have a nice day!!!!!!!
  • Like 5

300 with bbk (317, 355, 380) will turn 26” NO issue as well. 

• Like 2

Anything for a 06 rubicon 500 auto 4x4 (06 trx500fga6) ? Im about to rip open the tranny and split the case. Any info on gears i can change out to give it a reduction would be greatly appreciated! 

45 minutes ago, Wheeler306 said:

Anything for a 06 rubicon 500 auto 4x4 (06 trx500fga6) ? Im about to rip open the tranny and split the case. Any info on gears i can change out to give it a reduction would be greatly appreciated! 

Unfortunately there's not anything made for the Hondamatic Rubicons. 

A while back there was a 7% floating around, but I'm not sure on the specifics of it.  If you're going to be in there anyway might be worth a look.

@toodeep hasn't been on much lately, but maybe he'll chime in.

No such thing except the 7% using a 450 gear. A little searching on here should bring up a couple threads on that. There are rumors that Honda is going to bring out a small SXS using the Rubicon power plant. When they did that with the Rincon power plant they gear downed the motor, possibly a chance there in the future (if the rumor holds true). Turner (I'm pretty sure that was the company) use to make a gear reduction years ago but it was expensive and always a waiting list, a long one until they had enough to build them.
  • Like 2

Jeep , I am not a Rubicon guy , how does it work , were  there two Rubicons , one auto and one foot shift , or is the footshift  called a Foreman  I  know a buddy who calls his 2018  a Rubicon  " Deluxe " , it is automatic , he put the oil filter in and cut the oring seal and burned it up , $4,600 to rebuild it , he had to refinance the loan ----   from what I heard  the new Rubicons are 520 engines and there are two different models , auto and footshift ???? 

21 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Jeep , I am not a Rubicon guy , how does it work , were  there two Rubicons , one auto and one foot shift , or is the footshift  called a Foreman  I  know a buddy who calls his 2018  a Rubicon  " Deluxe " , it is automatic , he put the oil filter in and cut the oring seal and burned it up , $4,600 to rebuild it , he had to refinance the loan ----   from what I heard  the new Rubicons are 520 engines and there are two different models , auto and footshift ???? 

01-14 Rubicons were the Hondatmatics.

The post-14 Rubicon automatics were the DCT engines like my wife's 420 auto with IRS.  The DCT's have gears in the transmission, clutches etc. 

Rubicon used to be the automatic 500 series.  Now it's more like an option line on a Foreman.  They made footshift Rubicons with IRS.  They made DCT Rubicons that are automatic.

They've greatly expanded the line by using the same parts in different models.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

What's up with all you Wheelers from up north?  LOL

Well my nickname came from riding a 84 ytm 200 with all the big quads going where they go on two wheels turning or going straight. Also theres more than one Nathan in the same group !.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

A while back there was a 7% floating around, but I'm not sure on the specifics of it.  If you're going to be in there anyway might be worth a look.

toodeep

No such thing except the 7% using a 450 gear. A little searching on here should bring up a couple threads on that. There are rumors that Honda is going to bring out a small SXS using the Rubicon power plant. When they did that with the Rincon power plant they gear downed the motor, possibly a chance there in the future (if the rumor holds true). Turner (I'm pretty sure that was the company) use to make a gear reduction years ago but it was expensive and always a waiting list, a long one until they had enough to build them.

ill be switching the 450 gear than forsure 7% is huge compared to nothing lol. And since the 27" outlaws are almost done ill be running bkts or teraches on 14" rims instead of 12". Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

toodeep

Well ill cross my fingers and hope for it that would be a sick upgrade! Id even swap the efi into it if they did that update as well.

I am taking it that it  is the primary gear of a 450 that is used in the Rubicon  to achieve 7%  ??   ----  I was thinking I have a 300 primary and clutch basket in my 450 for a 14.5% reduction , if a 450 primary will fit in a Rubicon , and a 300 fits in a 450 , then would a 300 fit in a Rubicon and would that be 21.5 % ? 

31 minutes ago, Wheeler306 said:

ill be switching the 450 gear than forsure 7% is huge compared to nothing lol. And since the 27" outlaws are almost done ill be running bkts or teraches on 14" rims instead of 12". Thanks for the info.

Let us know how it works out.  I sent you a PM with a cheap 450 gear on canadian ebay.

I have an 05 Rubicon.  Might be something to try out if I ever have to tear into it.

18 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I am taking it that it  is the primary gear of a 450 that is used in the Rubicon  to achieve 7%  ??   ----  I was thinking I have a 300 primary and clutch basket in my 450 for a 14.5% reduction , if a 450 primary will fit in a Rubicon , and a 300 fits in a 450 , then would a 300 fit in a Rubicon and would that be 21.5 % ? 

Nope it's the secondary.

The 450 is 42 tooth, the Rubicon is 40 tooth.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Let us know how it works out.  I sent you a PM with a cheap 450 gear on canadian ebay.

I have an 05 Rubicon.  Might be something to try out if I ever have to tear into it.

I seen that thank you. Ill be getting it and seeing what i can do. Wouldn't i have to change the other gear it meshs into though? 

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

The rubicon that i have is a fga6 model it has a hondamatic in it and only has a centrifugal clutch that drives the transmission gear. The only way to gear it down is switching out tranny gears or do a differential gear swap. Like you would a truck. I havent found anyone thats done it so im going to get a spare diff take it apart and go to a differential shop in town and see what they can do.

12 hours ago, Wheeler306 said:

I seen that thank you. Ill be getting it and seeing what i can do. Wouldn't i have to change the other gear it meshs into though? 

That question was asked in that Highlifter thread, but my guess is the difference is so minor it doesn't hurt anything.  I'll let @toodeep weigh in since he's probably seen the swap actually done.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wheeler306 said:

The rubicon that i have is a fga6 model it has a hondamatic in it and only has a centrifugal clutch that drives the transmission gear. The only way to gear it down is switching out tranny gears or do a differential gear swap. Like you would a truck. I havent found anyone thats done it so im going to get a spare diff take it apart and go to a differential shop in town and see what they can do.

Be curious to see what you find out.  I would think it that were doable someone would have done it by now to avoid tearing into engines to regear.

To swap that 450 gear in, you pull the rear crankcase cover and the gear is right there on the rear of the output shaft.  The Rubicon gear is a 40 tooth, the 450 gear that supposedly gives you a 7% reduction is a 42 tooth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Be curious to see what you find out.  I would think it that were doable someone would have done it by now to avoid tearing into engines to regear.

To swap that 450 gear in, you pull the rear crankcase cover and the gear is right there on the rear of the output shaft.  The Rubicon gear is a 40 tooth, the 450 gear that supposedly gives you a 7% reduction is a 42 tooth.

I ordered that gear you sent me the link of! Hope it works. Does the front drive shaft connect to that final drive as well? 

Yes.  That shaft is solid, pokes out of the front and rear of the engine.  The gear slides onto the shaft. 

• Like 1

@toodeep hasn't been on much lately, but I shot him a message asking if the gear mesh was ok using that new gear with the existing smaller gear.  I'll let you know if i hear back from  him.

• Like 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Yes.  That shaft is solid, pokes out of the front and rear of the engine.  The gear slides onto the shaft. 

Thank you for all the help and info greatly appreciate it once its in and ive fixed the issues with the tranny and the silly knock it has ill be updating on the 7% reduction!

• Like 1

Just now, Wheeler306 said:

Thank you for all the help and info greatly appreciate it once its in and ive fixed the issues with the tranny and the silly knock it has ill be updating on the 7% reduction!

Post lots of pics along the way.

Here's a thread from the old board that shows quite a few pics of what you're looking at. 

https://www.hondaforeman.com/threads/2001-trx500fa-chattering-noise-from-transmission-area.312714/

I have a 2012 Rubicon I bought that the seller claimed runs but doesn't pull, so I"m going to be tearing into it at some point.  Working on footshift 500's at the moment, with what little wrench time I'm getting.

Here’s what toodeep said about that 450 gear

Your correct and the gears mesh fine. I have a friend that has been running one for years with zero issues. 

Been having a little time to do a little reading on the forum but not enough to get back into the conversations. What a crazy year this has been and still going.

• Like 1

Did some nosing around last night.  The gear on the Rubicon that meshes with that 40 tooth gear on the Rubicon is a 20 tooth gear, and it's the exact same factory part number as the 20 tooth gear on the 450 Foreman, so that explains while the gear mesh isn't an issue.

• Like 1