Quadjunkie

450 es battery question

My 04 ES is having issues with starting. Sometimes it seems like the battery is low. Battery shows 14.4 volts at idle and when I rev the engine there is no change in battery volts. 

Ideas?

Hi: First make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Quadjunkie said:

They are clean and tight. I hear the clicking sound of the stator and it doesn't sound right.

Might be a solenoid going south, or might be starter brushes.  You can try jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver.  If it still struggles your starter brushes are probably worn and you'll need to replace them.  Easy job.  Takes about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the help. There's alot of wiring around the battery area with the winch wires. 

When I start it the clicking in the solenoid sounds like it's at the end of it's life. It' looks real easy to change. I think I'll get a new one and change that out first.

Either buy a new OEM solenoid, or get a used OEM solenoid from Powersportsnation.com.  Don't buy a junk aftermarket solenoid.  They hardly ever work.

You mentioned a winch in your post, something in that wiring draining the battery?  Maybe disconnect it for a day or two and see what happens.  If the solenoid is clicking it could be two things, solenoid bad or not enough voltage or amps in the battery to satisfy the starter.  If you could disconnect the positive battery terminal and connect an ammeter it would tell you if something has a draw when parked.  You have a number of things to check and try to eliminate or isolate your problem now....keep us up on your progress....

• Like 1

Thanks, yes I would buy oem.

bcsman, you make a very good point. I use this almost everyday. I could pull the cables off over night. What am I looking for ?

I see starter/solenoid kits are available.  If the solenoid isn't 100% then the starter won't get the juice correct? Should I replace both together?   

3 hours ago, Quadjunkie said:

bcsman, you make a very good point. I use this almost everyday. I could pull the cables off over night. What am I looking for ?

I see starter/solenoid kits are available.  If the solenoid isn't 100% then the starter won't get the juice correct? Should I replace both together?   

Sorry, I meant to say pull the winch power off for a few days to see if that is causing your battery issue....

• Like 1

On June 18, 2020 at 10:40 AM, Quadjunkie said:

They are clean and tight. I hear the clicking sound of the stator and it doesn't sound right.

you say the stator ? is making noise ? can you clarify abit more ? 

4 hours ago, Quadjunkie said:

if the starter is good, i see no reason to replace it. same goes for the solenoid, if the starter is bad. my 2000, a brush went bad in the starter. i got a new brush, but i waited to long to replace it, i had to get a new starter, the bad brush ate up the rotor.. either one or the other is bad. its very seldom, they both go out at the same time, not that it cant happen., just very unlikely. do you have a service manual?

if it's not the starter armature / brushes, you have more issues going on .... can you post us pics or, video ? 

if you cross it ... (as jeep stated) if the starter acts up ... then YES most likely brushes ..or starter solenoid,  also might take the battery, and have it load tested .... 14.4 with no change doesn't sound right to me.

Battery shows 14.4 volts at idle and when I rev the engine there is no change in battery volts.

Durn it, i might get it right some day. i doubt it. rotor/armature. lol, i just cant see it happening this late in the game. i know what im doing, saying so is a different matter., lol

10 hours ago, LedFTed said:

if the starter is good, i see no reason to replace it. same goes for the solenoid, if the starter is bad. my 2000, a brush went bad in the starter. i got a new brush, but i waited to long to replace it, i had to get a new starter, the bad brush ate up the rotor.. either one or the other is bad. its very seldom, they both go out at the same time, not that it cant happen., just very unlikely. do you have a service manual?

Yes the online manual. Good to know both don't usually go bad at the same time.

12 hours ago, bcsman said:

Sorry, I meant to say pull the winch power off for a few days to see if that is causing your battery issue....

Ok that makes sense I'm doing that first.

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you say the stator ? is making noise ? can you clarify abit more ? 

I was referring to the solenoid. You can tell it sounds like its working alot more by the noise it makes when cranking.

• Like 1

So you have it narrowed down to a starter, if not sure the solenoid is a much cheaper option to try....

Here is a link to a used OEM starter , that has been tested ,and PSN  will give you like 30 days warranty 

considering a new OEM starter  is pretty pricey at $339.86 , then $19.99 fro PSN  is a good deal 

STARTER MOTOR ASSY.
31200-HM7-A41 
$348.04
$339.86

https://www.powersportsnation.com/honda-foreman-450-es-98-starter-31200-hm7-003-24184.html

Since a 450 solenoid is $70 , use a 420 solenoid for like $24 

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/35850-HP5-600?ref=c4f057a2380f4e9b5831c883becd2844e58ebc7a

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bcsman said:

So you have it narrowed down to a starter, if not sure the solenoid is a much cheaper option to try....

No but when I typed that I thought a starter was around $40. and I would just swap it out for a new one. 

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Here is a link to a used OEM starter , that has been tested ,and PSN  will give you like 30 days warranty 

considering a new OEM starter  is pretty pricey at $339.86 , then $19.99 fro PSN  is a good deal 

STARTER MOTOR ASSY.
31200-HM7-A41 
$348.04
$339.86

https://www.powersportsnation.com/honda-foreman-450-es-98-starter-31200-hm7-003-24184.html

Since a 450 solenoid is $70 , use a 420 solenoid for like $24 

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/35850-HP5-600?ref=c4f057a2380f4e9b5831c883becd2844e58ebc7a

Thanks. I'm getting the big picture now. And that is why guys just replace the brushes.