Quadjunkie

450 es battery question

You can get a Chinese after market starter for around $40 , you can't beat that PSN link for a OEM used , Shade talks about an after market starter place that he has had good luck with , I forgot the name , sure he will chime in ----   you need to figure out what your problem really is , and not just throw parts at it ----- read you say it is putting out 14.5 volts , that's good , it is the max and you  don't want it any higher than that ---- how old is that battery 

Exactly, I won't just throw parts at it. I've had this quad for 2 years now and not sure how old the battery is.

Sense the first post a couple of days ago I've ridden it every day and it starts up. I still need to pull a winch lead to see if there is a draw but I don't think that is the case now. 

I'm going to clean the cable ends on everything and might just toss a new solenoid on it because it is the easiest. It's 90 degrees outside so I'm doing everything slowly. 

Also a good idea when cleaning the battery posts and cables to make sure your battery ground is clean, maybe disconnect from the frame and shine up a tad, it can't hurt....

Hmmm, first I want to find out where the hole is. I'm going to pull the tire, fill it up and stick it in water.

I think a plug will work. Right?

15 minutes ago, Quadjunkie said:

Hmmm, first I want to find out where the hole is. I'm going to pull the tire, fill it up and stick it in water.

I think a plug will work. Right?

Depends on where it's leaking.  Best fix for a plug is a nail or screw,  Two things to check with soapy water is the bead on both sides and the valve stem.  Sometimes the threaded valve insert is loose or leaking if defective.

• Like 1

just mix water and (i use dawn) dawn soap in a spritz pump bottle bout a teaspoon to a quart of water .... or you can dunk it ... yea, you can plug it .... if it's the bead as Bcs stated.... I'd go with green tire slime .... correct me on this guys the 04 420 has aluminum rims ? are there any signs of dry cracking ?? 

• Like 2

No dry rubber yet on these tires. I live just feet from a lake so I'll dip it in there. Been doing alot of work around the house lately using nails and screws so I'm leaning toward that as being the problem. Never ends tho. Had a moving truck take out my cable power and phone lines last week. BLA....

• Like 1

oh okay!..  and wow! that's some kind of luck.....  you might take a maget sweeper to gather up those little tire getters. 

I am a fan of the Slime , everyone use to say the old formula was bad , as you couldn't get it off the rim easily  in the future , it was like glue , if you were to  need to do a tire repair or change out ------       the new formula is water soluble and cleans up easy -- sure if the hole is big you need a patch or plug , but for rim leaks or small pin holes it works fine  and it gives some protection in the field if a  small puncture occurs  you would never know it 

• Like 2

People badmouth slime but I've used it quite a bit and more often than not it works! 

Aluminum wheels were only used on Rincons and 01-11 Rubicons. 

I use the dawn and water in a spray bottle to find leaks.  The dawn makes the leak very apparent as it bubbles up.

• Like 2

Hard to tell from the pic, but I would guess it is.

I just buy several used OEM solenoids at a time from ebay sellers I trust (PSN, few others).   Used they're usually $5-6 shipped. 

Ok thanks. 

Got a new one and installed. Has the same sound as the old one so I was wrong regarding the bad sound when starting. I learned but installed a new Yuasa battery and that solved my start problem. 

• Like 2