jeepwm69

420FA slipping in first, second, and reverse when warm

Localish guy sent me a message on facebook asking for help on his 420FA (DCT).  Said it acts like it's slipping in first, second, and reverse when it's warmed up.  Doesn't do it when cold. 

This is a new one on me.  The DCT's run on oil pressure, so normally this is a low oil symptom, and with the DCT the clutches go 1,3,5 on one clutch, so if it's slipping in first and second, but not 3,4,5, that's doesn't make sense.

Anyone have any ideas?  @toodeep you ever seen this in your shop?

i would not own a auto...EVER !..LOL. but..seeing how you say it does not do it when cold ?, this tells me the wrong oil is in the motor. cold oil is thicker, as it warms up, then will slip. just spit ball'n here, but to me i would think the wrong oil is in it.

Well, you weren't wrong.  I told him it sounded like the wrong oil or low oil.  He apparently was checking it with the dipstick screwed in.  He changed the oil, putting in fresh T6, and filled it to where it read full with the dipstick sitting in the hole (not screwed in) and it did fine after that.

Funny how this just came up. On checking oil on all Honda's we just set the dipstick on and check it that way correct. Do not screw it in? ALL or just some? I saw very conflicting reports on mine. (06 Foreman with ES)

Edited by Big Bird

24 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

Funny how this just came up. On checking oil on all Honda's we just set the dipstick on and check it that way correct. Do not screw it in? ALL or just some? I saw very conflicting reports on mine. (06 Foreman with ES)

you do not screw the dip stick in, you lay it in the hole, then check it.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2020 at 9:36 PM, shadetree said:

you do not screw the dip stick in, you lay it in the hole, then check it.

Thank you.

I've noticed that most of the Japanese brands do it that way, but the others expect you to screw in to check. 

Good info on checking oil. I assumed you screwed it in. 

3 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

Good info on checking oil. I assumed you screwed it in. 

All Honda ATV -- DON"T SCREW IT IN  when checking the oil

450S check oil.jpg

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 2