DuckOfDeath

Blown up, Sir!

Neighbor asked me to look at his grown sons 02 Arctic cat 300. Was told it just died one day and wouldn't restart. Had spark and turned over freely but zero compression. Found it had dropped the exhaust valve. I was prepared to do a top end job but absolutely do not want any part of what needs to be done on this rig now. I should have declined the moment I learned it was an Arctic cat. I knew it was going to be bad when I started to pull off the exhaust and found piston shards in the header pipe.

IMG_20200623_082239414.jpg

IMG_20200623_082336864.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just died one day? That thing had to sound like a garbage disposal full of bolts when it blew! I would be shocked if the bottom end even survived that. Whole new engine by my eyes.

• Haha 4

Wow no way it just died. must’ve sounded like a socket set in a wood chipper. Toasted.

• Like 2

is that really a piston in the 1st picture?

somehow, i get lake, or pond.

Edited by LedFTed

Wow.  I think that just moved to the top of the "worst I've seen" list.

My FIL has two of the late 90's AC300's.  Basically a rebadged Suzuki King Quad.  They're a PITA to work on, but for the time, they had some really nice features.  Disc Brakes all around, IRS, and Hi, Low, and Super Low range, along with selectable 4wd and even a front diff lock. 

You should buy it cheap and fix it.  They're neat little bikes.  The parts are $$$ though!

i've seen this damage many times when a valve drop's. get ready to do a complete engine removal , split, clean/flush.

• Like 2

Heck with that. I was prepared to do top end, but once I saw it needed a new head and would require pulling the motor and splitting the cases.... I'm out. The piston rod is all beat up and the camshaft and exhaust valve rocker are worn too. I wasn't going to charge him anything, because he does a lot for me, but even at my rates it's not economically feasable to repair. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that one will be hard beat... wow! must have really been doing some high rpm running ... when she turned loose .. 

• Like 1