Fishfiles

TRX300FW Fourtrax CDIs

Honda 300 CDI ( early first gen ) 

Trying to help my buddy with his 1988 300 , it loses spark every now and then spark comes back , I leant  him a OEM 92 300 CDI that I know to be good , for him to try yesterday and he got no spark out of it at all , his 88 CDI is the one with the red plugs ( Phillips HM5 3246 ) , the white plug one is the 92 ( no name or numbers ) , they both have the same plugs and wires plug in , just opposite position in placement ---- Partzilla shows 88 as being a stand alone year , then 89-93 , Rick's shows their cdi works on all models 88-93 , I am using the Rick's 88-93 on my 92 

I told him either buy the $152 OEM which is still available or the $82 Rick's , but he is tight on money and says he don't feel for sure if that is his problem  

Has anyone swopped red and white plugged CDIs before 

fullsizeoutput_cb9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_cbc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_cba.jpeg

'88 is a ONE year only..no other c.d.i. will work on it !. have no idea how your ricks claims to work on '88-'93 ??..just goes to prove to me, ricks is not worth the time or money to me.

Thanks

i remember the 88 is different than the rest of them but not exactly sure why. Probably have to get into the ignition system details—might find explanation on CDI differences. 

As a comparison, the TRX350 manual explains that the later model TRX350D CDI had a feature that built up spark potential, replacing the need for an exciter coil found on the TRX350A stators. Something like that I can’t recall exactly.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

'88 is a ONE year only..no other c.d.i. will work on it !. have no idea how your ricks claims to work on '88-'93 ??..just goes to prove to me, ricks is not worth the time or money to me.

I thought about that , think there must be something made into the Rick's CDI that makes it compatible with 88 -93 , Rick's has been selling them for a long time now , would think if there was a problem it would have arisen long ago  -------  my buddy's theory is that the red plug CDI's are the ones with no PRM limiter built into them , but from what I remember , 88-93 was  all no RPM limiter years -------  my plugs are white , but that CDI  may have been changed before 

Hot Shot Honda CDI Box: This Rick's Motorsport Electrics Hot Shot CDI box is made with heavy duty components; no specific enhancements.
Retail Price: $81.95
Price: $81.95

THIS PART FITS THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES:

• Like 1

Well if The Rick’s doesn’t work on his can you use it? Maybe someone buy it off him

Well the Ricks cdi with white plugs on my buddy’s 88 300 with red cdi plugs didn’t work out Ricks salesperson said it would. So going to give them a call today and see what they got to say about some prepaid return shipping and refund.  They say no refunds but the way I look at this one they are wrong.  His bike will spark with the old oem cdi.  But seems to get hot and lose spark after a few minutes run time. 

looking for a 88 300 cdi with red plugs.  

Rick's told me they don't know why their  cdi  would not work , say they will take the cdi back for a credit even though they don't take any electrical parts back for refund  , they did say they would  first have to test it once sent back , to make sure it works and isn't burned up before issuing a credit ,  might just be a matter of swopping some wires around ,  they say they have never had a 88 that their cdi didn't work on and have sold a lot , figures  ----  

Hi Fish: I looked at the wiring diagram for the 88 -- it is different from the 89 -- 90 -- the wiring on the 2 wire connector on the 88 goes to a different place than the 89 -- 90 -- the guts of the CDI could be different also.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi Fish: I looked at the wiring diagram for the 88 -- it is different from the 89 -- 90 -- the wiring on the 2 wire connector on the 88 goes to a different place than the 89 -- 90 -- the guts of the CDI could be different also.

Thanks for that info Mel !  

I wonder if there is a difference inside the cdi , or could it be just swopping the wires around  -----  the two plugs on the 88 with red plugs are the same type of plug as the white plugs , they plug right in , but they are  swopped around on the cdi , the smaller plug is on the opposite side 

The wiring harness on the 88 is wired different from the 98 - 90