I have a 2000 450 with a busted front diff. I have a good front diff from a 2004 with the trax lock O want to to run a toggle switch to put it in 4wd but not sure what I need to do to make this happen. I was told 2 of the 3 plugs  were speed sensors 

Hi Paul’, welcome to atvhonda  , Retro is the Guru of the electric shift front diff by-pass. Gizmo.    Jeep has dealt with it also , I am sure they will be along and give some insight , I went the opposite way , I have a 2000 full time with a 424 kick out ,  and a  2002 that was electric front diff , swapped a 1st gen full time diff ( 98-2001 ) and a 424 into it ——-  I know you can do a jumper wire with a toggle switch into the front clutch and make it engage , you need to be. Careful as it is set. Up with the two speed sensors you mentioned , they prevent shifting it into.  4wd when the speed is too fast. So as to not. Cause. Damage ——if you were looking to change everything to make your bike work as a 2nd gen OEM front diff set up ,  it would be a lot of work and parts as the wiring harness , components , dash/monitor are all different.  And the speedometer sensor for a 1st gen and 2nd gen are totally different placement on the engine , excuss my post , partying on the porch for pre-4th and. Typing this on a I-pad 

• Like 1

i knew you would tune into this one ... .... i started to advise to OP  "I'd drop fish a note"  lol! 

welcome to the forums  @Paulfontenot get ready for some schooling ;) 

• Like 1

What’s wrong with you diff.    If the housing is good. You can rebuild what you got and add a 424.   

• Like 1

It sounds like the the bearings in the diff are shot. It pulls, it just makes a lot of noise and getting louder. I found a guy with a lot of parts bikes and sold me the new diff for cheap was looking to make a quick swap and throw in a toggle switch . But I will tear into it if needed 

Retro tells , it only take like 7.5 volts or something like that , so if you can lower the voltage it will last longer , hear say on my part , and I been endulging and got the CRS bad , LOL 

Read this 

same process, except the 02-04 front driveshaft apparently makes for a VERY tight fit. When Shade did this to a bike he ended up shortening the front driveshaft an inch or so. @SamUK did it without shortening but said it was a super tight fit. 

my .02's worth...leave it stock !!!. its not worth the hassle trying to make something '' make do '' ?!. don't do it !. your better off just rebuilding the broken front diff than trying to use a part not made for your atv. and no, you can not use the parts from the elec front diff in your year model !. the pinion gear is not the same, and a royal pain to get out of the diff. do as you wish ?, but to me..its not worth the time. word of caution !!!!, the wire harness that uses the two speed sensors to be able to engage the front diff on the electronic diff is not as simple as just installing a toggle switch !!!.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I”d , call in @shadetree ,  but he is going to want to fix it OEM , LOL.   

and your right !..lol. why make things worse ?. been down that road once, WILL NOT DO IT AGAIN !..LOL.

• Like 1

I remember having to notch  the frame for the 1st gen diff to fit in a second gen frame , also the drive shaft was tight , but I used a 424 and not the OEM drive shaft  , which the 424 and OEM drive shaft  should be the exact same length , but I never had the problems SamUK and Shade had with the front drive shaft being too long 

If it were me , I would ditch the idea of the electric shift front diff ,  I have two of them sitting on the shelf that I would sell , don't plan to ever use them again , when the electric front diff shift malfunctions the default is 2wd , you got sensors , actuators , wiring , etc to good bad , I can think of three times I was in woods with only 2wd and that is not a good thing where I ride 

They have a lot of info on swopping diffs around in this thread

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/2002-foreman-trx450fm.50570/#post-444161

Right... Apologies for the late reply!

I had a 2nd gen with a bent frame and fitted all of my 04 parts to a 1st gen frame.

You need to notch (V) the cross member (pictured above) to clear the front diff.

If you use a Gen1 diff you need the Gen1 shaft, if you use the gen2 diff you need the gen2 shaft.

You need to move the motor back to fit the diff and shaft into place if you use the Gen2 diff. 

I'm not sure how you'd get on if you fit a gen2 selectable diff to a gen1, I was always led to believe that the CDI had something to do with its control, I can't confirm that though. However, I see no reason why you couldn't swap the CDI and harness along with the gen2 diff.

• Like 1