toodeep

Front output shaft seal replacement

I was replacing a front output shaft seal on a customer machine so I thought I would take a few pics of the process since it's a pretty common issue. I'm hoping everyone keeps their machines cleaner than this one.

First thing to do is jack up the front of the machine and remove the front wheels. Then remove the mounting bolts on the front final drive so it can be slid forward. This model has the upper mount that also has to be removed to get enough clearance. You'll have the upper, rear lower and on certain models front mounting bolts and brackets.

20191126_105707.thumb.jpg.fe07043f7f1716dd9d40c0802f501b1b.jpg

20191126_111131.thumb.jpg.a9683d45a78c0e49e0e484b678cd8d88.jpg

Once that is done you can slide the front final drive forward. Most of the time you can just grab both inner axles and pull it forward. You might have to position the handlebars just right so the tie rod ends clear and also use a pry bar to give it that little extra to get the drive line loose. Once it's forward enough the coupler on the motor side is spring loaded. Slide it forward enough to unhook it from the output shaft and move it to the side or remove it completely.

20191126_111138.thumb.jpg.9db2c20d4d7b78216a7aff517fee667d.jpg

Remove the o ring from the shaft and use a pick, old screwdriver, screws or whatever you have to pry the old seal out. 

20191126_111323.thumb.jpg.519ac7f32adb3a3c19374c7dd02fc7e1.jpg.

Once it's removed and everything is cleaned up it's time for the new seal (found under the final shaft section of a parts finder). I have some shrink tubing that I use to protect the seal from the grooves in the shaft when installing it. You don't have to use anything or wrap it with the plastic the seal came in just to take the chance of damaging it away. Find a socket/pipe the size of the outer edge of the seal to use as a driver (you can also use the old seal against the new when installing it to add a level of protection, unless it's really damaged from prying it out).

20191126_111733.thumb.jpg.c120b726bef1645c3d3a4d361de54da1.jpg

Once the new seal it in install the o ring on the output shaft and reinstall everything in reverse order.

20191126_112924.thumb.jpg.9423c07905701222602e53ef6db19c17.jpg

Edited by retro
Exported back to thread
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SlammedRanger said:

Good quick write up! And was that a huge ball of fishing line on the cv shaft?

probably old mans beard or at least that's what it looks like to me.

10 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

probably old mans beard or at least that's what it looks like to me.

I have no idea what old mans beard is lol unless your talking about an actual beard which im pretty sure your not lol

• Haha 1

2013 420FPM was the machine and that's net wrap (hay bales) on the axle that also got replaced. I figured I could get a cleaner machine for that write up.

!... Old mans beard is what we call the green stuff that grows/hangs off the trees. Its better than gasoline to light a fire with!!!!!!!!

I've had a lot of issues with my output shaft seal. Replaced it twice, (once I thought it wasn't in far enough) but still to no real avail. Only difference is I have a Wide Open Kick out installed. When I pull my motor this winter, I'll have a better look at everything. 

I could NEVER have a machine dirty like that! I ride hard, play hard & wash it hard before I put it in the garage!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

I have no idea what old mans beard is lol unless your talking about an actual beard which im pretty sure your not lol

Like wheeler said, grows on trees lol. I’ve never seen it wrapped around an axle but it is what it looks like haha

10 hours ago, toodeep said:

2013 420FPM was the machine and that's net wrap (hay bales) on the axle that also got replaced. I figured I could get a cleaner machine for that write up.

I should have guessed net wrap, not like I don’t see it every day lol. I don’t see it wrapped around axles though haha. 

Now that you say what old man's beard is , we have something like that here , it is like a kind of moss , but skinner , stringer and stronger than fresh moss , kind of like seasoned moss ----  sounds right ? 

• Like 1

Hmm we got nothing like that up north. Or atleast not anywhere i have been. We are primarily flat farm land though with the occasinal wooded area. Zero swamps. And 1 big lake lol

Spanish Moss grows in coastal  areas in the South. 

Gotta be something different up in the Dakotas.

I just want to add, please be very, VERY careful when prying in, and around old seal to get it removed ?, YOU DO NOT WANT TO NICK THE CASE RIGHT THERE , OR IT WILL LEAK EVEN WITH A NEW SEAL IN THERE !. other than this, great instructions !!!!.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 4:09 PM, toodeep said:

I was replacing a front output shaft seal on a customer machine so I thought I would take a few pics of the process since it's a pretty common issue. I'm hoping everyone keeps their machines cleaner than this one.

First thing to do is jack up the front of the machine and remove the front wheels. Then remove the mounting bolts on the front final drive so it can be slid forward. This model has the upper mount that also has to be removed to get enough clearance. You'll have the upper, rear lower and on certain models front mounting bolts and brackets.

20191126_105707.thumb.jpg.fe07043f7f1716dd9d40c0802f501b1b.jpg

20191126_111131.thumb.jpg.a9683d45a78c0e49e0e484b678cd8d88.jpg

Once that is done you can slide the front final drive forward. Most of the time you can just grab both inner axles and pull it forward. You might have to position the handlebars just right so the tie rod ends clear and also use a pry bar to give it that little extra to get the drive line loose. Once it's forward enough the coupler on the motor side is spring loaded. Slide it forward enough to unhook it from the output shaft and move it to the side or remove it completely.

20191126_111138.thumb.jpg.9db2c20d4d7b78216a7aff517fee667d.jpg

Remove the o ring from the shaft and use a pick, old screwdriver, screws or whatever you have to pry the old seal out. 

20191126_111323.thumb.jpg.519ac7f32adb3a3c19374c7dd02fc7e1.jpg.

Once it's removed and everything is cleaned up it's time for the new seal (found under the final shaft section of a parts finder). I have some shrink tubing that I use to protect the seal from the grooves in the shaft when installing it. You don't have to use anything or wrap it with the plastic the seal came in just to take the chance of damaging it away. Find a socket/pipe the size of the outer edge of the seal to use as a driver (you can also use the old seal against the new when installing it to add a level of protection, unless it's really damaged from prying it out).

20191126_111733.thumb.jpg.c120b726bef1645c3d3a4d361de54da1.jpg

Once the new seal it in install the o ring on the output shaft and reinstall everything in reverse order.

20191126_112924.thumb.jpg.9423c07905701222602e53ef6db19c17.jpg

Sorry for my horrible typing and if I didn’t do this correctly 

hey everting so I am new to this forum page stuff and I feel like I’m a pretty well experienced mechanic but also something new to learn. I replaced this seal cause I noticed it was leaking oil and I cleaned it all up and I drove it some today and let my buddy and it’s leaking again. I replaced it Monday and actually drove it a while today. Haven’t checked oil on it but it’s seems worse then before. So what should I check and I pretty much followed everything on this post but didn’t look it up. I pretty much did this procedure step by step. Thank you and if anyone can help I’d appreciate it and is this a common problem with the ranchers 

Edited by Dylan12457

8 minutes ago, Dylan12457 said:

Don't worry about that...... We don't have grammer police here.....lol! 

Welcome to ATVH . 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dylan12457 said:

hey everting so I am new to this forum page stuff and I feel like I’m a pretty well experienced mechanic but also something new to learn. I replaced this seal cause I noticed it was leaking oil and I cleaned it all up and I drove it some today and let my buddy and it’s leaking again. I replaced it Monday and actually drove it a while today. Haven’t checked oil on it but it’s seems worse then before. So what should I check and I pretty much followed everything on this post but didn’t look it up. I pretty much did this procedure step by step. Thank you and if anyone can help I’d appreciate it and is this a common problem with the ranchers 

Welcome to Atvhonda.  It would help to know your make , model and year.  And if you started your own thread you might get more responses 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to Atvhonda.  It would help to know your make , model and year.  And if you started your own thread you might get more responses 

2020 Honda rancher 420 4X4 no power steering

So the seal at E-20 of the top pic , goes to #7 coupler on the bottom pic is where it  is leaking ?  -----  Does  #7 coupler have a groove cut into it where the seal rides ?  

image.png

image.png

32 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

So the seal at E-20 of the top pic , goes to #7 coupler on the bottom pic is where it  is leaking ?  -----  Does  #7 coupler have a groove cut into it where the seal rides ?  

image.png

image.png

I would have to take it apart and look at it but it leaking at that seal there. This is before I replaced it and now it seems worse I’ll have to take it back apart to look at it, the grooved part

4785DA8D-D1EA-4351-8FB1-15752435677A.jpeg

Edited by Dylan12457

1 hour ago, Dylan12457 said:

I would have to take it apart and look at it but it leaking at that seal there. This is before I replaced it and now it seems worse I’ll have to take it back apart to look at it, the grooved part

4785DA8D-D1EA-4351-8FB1-15752435677A.jpeg

Maybe the seal was damaged when installed. Maybe it was put in backwards.  ——-  Seen 450s bend the output shaft.  Never had it happen to me.  But have a homemade tool from a guy I got a lot of parts from.  And he told me he used it to straighten output shafts 

12 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe the seal was damaged when installed. Maybe it was put in backwards.  ——-  Seen 450s bend the output shaft.  Never had it happen to me.  But have a homemade tool from a guy I got a lot of parts from.  And he told me he used it to straighten output shafts 

I put the new seal in the Grooved side with the spring facing forwards into the crankcase cover and smoothed side facing out towards drive safe. I got a few things to do before I can work on it today I’m gonna try to take some photos of current situation hopefully can get some help. I’m pretty sure I didn’t damage the seal, I wonder if I didn’t get it in deep enough. I used a sock to tap it in lightly wonder if I hit back of the sock when taping and I didn’t get the seal set right 

Sometimes the shaft will wear a groove in it. The seal should be flat against the case surface when drove in all the way. Even with using protective measures on the output shaft it's possible to knock the spring loose on the seal and without that little tension it will leak.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, toodeep said:

Sometimes the shaft will wear a groove in it. The seal should be flat against the case surface when drove in all the way. Even with using protective measures on the output shaft it's possible to knock the spring loose on the seal and without that little tension it will leak.

After taking down it back apart I see what I did, I didnt put a little grease to help it slide on smoothly so it’s bunched up will post photos. Hopefully so no one else makes the same mistake.

0F48A930-68D5-4EC2-BD2A-F67029F20958.jpeg

1F83940D-EA86-46B9-AEB2-4B89CED2BB54.jpeg

0CF3EA95-B693-467B-936D-47D80D2E7278.jpeg

9C0D860F-10F8-4292-92B2-02167BEDBAE4.jpeg

• Like 3