87Iroc

98 Foreman 450S....Still not found issue

6 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

aye aye cap'n. 

I hope I have the option of running it hard and heavy and choose not too. So far, its been 'will it start? How long will it idle before it dies'....

if all else fails ?, load it up...road trip to arkansas ...i'll fix it !..lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

if all else fails ?, load it up...road trip to arkansas ...i'll fix it !..lol.

I would take him up on it right now ,  you don't like that thump you got , Shade will figure it out , and I wouldn't mind know what it was , LOL 

he's done fine IMO... I'd like to see him finish it.... he sure knows mechanics..and  it's been a very interesting thread... no feeling like doing the job yourself .. 

17 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said: no feeling like doing the job yourself .. 

Yep. Especially when it doesn’t work out like expected Lol 

well, you learn by trying, make a mistake , learn from it ... or have someone else do it for you.. lol, besides, doesn't sound like he's ready to give up yet... lol

Wilson , you right , think it was that Chinese dude Confusedus that said experience is worth the price of parts.  

• Haha 2

yea, I've viewed alot of his quotes .... in the Analects of Confucius..... IMO most would be considered as common sense, this day in time, but that's just my thinking .. lol! 

• Like 2

I've got one vote to load it up and road trip to Arkansas and one to finish it. 

The original knocking coming out of the bottom end was the pickup sensor hitting the flywheel. I think the other noises were just tranny gear rattle due to the rough idle.

I almost wonder if I should have put it back together then and tried to see if it worked...but at that point I wanted to be sure there wasn't something wrong in the tranny and it snowballed from there with my desire to make it right.

I'll put the front end back on it, and the head, and fill it with oil and see if the starter cranks it over fine and go from there. I should have nose back on it in an hour and head on it shortly thereafter. See what happens.

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

The original knocking coming out of the bottom end was the pickup sensor hitting the flywheel. I think the other noises were just tranny gear rattle due to the rough idle.

I almost wonder if I should have put it back together then and tried to see if it worked...but at that point I wanted to be sure there wasn't something wrong in the tranny and it snowballed from there with my desire to make it right.

I'll put the front end back on it, and the head, and fill it with oil and see if the starter cranks it over fine and go from there. I should have nose back on it in an hour and head on it shortly thereafter. See what happens.

The MAW (might as well) will give you an engine that you know is good.  Peace of mind has a price LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 87Iroc said:

let us know how it goes ?, or if ya need my address ?..lol.

So I'm not sure if I've ever said what I do for a living...but I work for Cummins Diesel up here in Indiana. I design engines for a living and work with several people that are very knowledgeable on all things piston/rings/bore related. If you pop the engine on a 2007 or newer Dodge Ram you'll see parts that I designed staring at you. Anyway, that should also unlock the reason I overthink things.

Talked to a friend that has worked on the piston/rings almost his entire career here and he was brainstorming things that may make the piston stick with rings on it but not with the rings off. He said it was obviously a ring thing if it is truly an issue. He said it is a long shot, but the ONLY thing he can think of that I haven't checked is ring groove depth in the piston. If they cut it too shallow, that could be causing issue with piston in the bore(although he admittedly said that its a very long shot and if it was truly an issue it should bind ALL the time). So I am going to pull the jug one last time before I finish putting it together. He said if that checks out, he liked the starter idea. If starter doesn't really seem to notice its probably a lubrication thing like I think.

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, shadetree said:

let us know how it goes ?, or if ya need my address ?..lol.

You'll be the first to know. 

5 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

You'll be the first to know. 

while you got the jug back off ?, that would be a great time to run a hone down in it !.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, shadetree said:

while you got the jug back off ?, that would be a great time to run a hone down in it !.

Picked up a hone at Adv Auto this morning for a few bucks. Its on the to do list.

• Like 3

Which parts did you design on the Cummins B series? I dont design engines for a living but I work for a Cummins dealer, had many B series engines apart. 

On 8/11/2020 at 1:32 PM, 87Iroc said:

So I'm not sure if I've ever said what I do for a living...but I work for Cummins Diesel up here in Indiana. I design engines for a living and work with several people that are very knowledgeable on all things piston/rings/bore related. If you pop the engine on a 2007 or newer Dodge Ram you'll see parts that I designed staring at you. Anyway, that should also unlock the reason I overthink things.

Talked to a friend that has worked on the piston/rings almost his entire career here and he was brainstorming things that may make the piston stick with rings on it but not with the rings off. He said it was obviously a ring thing if it is truly an issue. He said it is a long shot, but the ONLY thing he can think of that I haven't checked is ring groove depth in the piston. If they cut it too shallow, that could be causing issue with piston in the bore(although he admittedly said that its a very long shot and if it was truly an issue it should bind ALL the time). So I am going to pull the jug one last time before I finish putting it together. He said if that checks out, he liked the starter idea. If starter doesn't really seem to notice its probably a lubrication thing like I think.

I am curious also , of what parts you were working on , I have a 2008 6.7 , I took a bunch of them emission parts off of mine , runs a lot better  with out them , running the Smarty ME ( Middle Eastern )  tuner , no more coding up  , 20mpg highway tooting 16,500 pounds , 285K miles and no issues with the engine 

The electric clutch cooling fan went out before , the fan is an expensive part , I am a member on the Cummins site where I learned about the tuner and what to get rid of , I have read about a mod using a Ford PowerStroke direct drive fan , that would be the next mod I would think about if that fan every goes out again , any tips on a fan mod 

I worked on the Air Handling end....so I designed the Valve Cover, Breather System, EGR Valve, EGR Crossover Tube, Intake Connection, Intake Throttle, Intake Cover. 

I don't know anything about mods to them as I've never owned one(was going to buy an 03-04, which were the prime years, but then I had a daughter and the truck payment went to daycare). The electric fan was done for fuel economy I think. I do wonder if there's some oil clutch option you could look at. 

The fan drives didn't change wholly I don't think through there, just what they were driving. So an older fan drive system 'should' bolt up, but I'm sure the owners groups would have figured that out if it was viable by now.

• Like 1

IMO..... the mechanical common rail 5.9 was the best engine..... what people need to think about is these little trucks, aren't meant to do the job of a semi, y'all changed the topic lol... and a mechanical  injection system ... is way better then that push button computerized emissions mess... that's a fact!! that's why so many old school diesel techs call them throw aways ...or French fry engines... including the Isuzu duramax. i won't even mention the new fords .... they dont even sound like a Diesel engine .... pure junk IMO ... 

3 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

I worked on the Air Handling end....so I designed the Valve Cover, Breather System, EGR Valve, EGR Crossover Tube, Intake Connection, Intake Throttle, Intake Cover. 

Did you design the $90 crankcase filter that bolts inside the valve cover ?   !!!! What’s up with that !!!!  Did you’ll program it to code up every 75k mile whether it needed changing of not.   Cause that about when it goes off. Read about a mod on the Cummins site to undo your work.  Lol.  

let's stay on topic outlaws !, if ya'll want to talk about diesel engines ?, start a thread in the general chat :-). 

• Like 2

Shadetree laying the smack down!

@Fishfiles: Yes...that was me to an extent.

ATV Question. I put the clutches on tonight. The centrifugal drum slides front/rear maybe a bit less than a 1/16". I don't know for sure how much, but it has front/rear play. I'm 99% sure the washer is between the main drive gear and the timing chain. The gear to the change clutch lines up pretty well(if not perfectly).

So this this normal?

Thanks

Torqued nut on crank and play still there and likely less than a 1/16”.  I put it the rest of the way together.  Had a spare part but luckily it was just copper washer from front of case for clutch adjustment.  Lol.  

got a doc appt then will put jug back on.  It’s honed and ready to go.  

Cylinder head is still saying in my head ‘rebuild me’....gotta get exhaust valve to seal.  Right now brake clean seeps in to port when I put some in combustion chamber.  

All together with valves adjusted.  Realized leak I thought I had around exhaust valve was assy oil I put in valve guide.  Rechecked it and no leakage.  

here is it cranking on bench.  No signs of binding up I was feeling.  I noticed when I got centrifugal clutch on front that mass seemed to even it out. 

sound normal to you guys? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

All together with valves adjusted.  Realized leak I thought I had around exhaust valve was assy oil I put in valve guide.  Rechecked it and no leakage.  

here is it cranking on bench.  No signs of binding up I was feeling.  I noticed when I got centrifugal clutch on front that mass seemed to even it out. 

put it in the frame, run it !. i hope you had engine oil in her when cranking it over ?..lol.

2 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

That had to be with the spark plug out ? Cause  that sucker was winging >  send it