87Iroc

98 Foreman 450S....Still not found issue

sounded good... stick in and run with it!. yea i imagine it was spinning over so fast was because there was no plug ... that got my attention too. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

That had to be with the spark plug out ? Cause  that sucker was winging >  send it 

yep.  It was plugless.  Brand new starter mostly.  

Yep.  Had oil in it.  Couple quarts.  Will add more in frame to top it off

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 1

It’s home.  Now time to hook it up.  Workbench is much cleaner

E1EC3598-D45D-45AD-9EC0-C200F13837E6.jpeg

• Like 3

Shade was first to know but....

Gotta hook it up rest of the way but pretty excited.  

Shade heard ticking but I gotta come down off cloud nine before I check it out.  Plus need to seat rings

Oh.  Note black pipe Shade and Fish.  Got rid of gold as I wasn’t a fan!

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, 87Iroc said:

Shade was first to know but....

Gotta hook it up rest of the way but pretty excited.  

Shade heard ticking but I gotta come down off cloud nine before I check it out.  Plus need to seat rings

Oh.  Note black pipe Shade and Fish.  Got rid of gold as I wasn’t a fan!

haha...i knew ya could do it !!..sooo..the check is in the mail...right ?..lol. grats bro, well done !.

• Like 2

Sounds like it is running !!!  with no air box hooked up. the air box will make it sound different .  Sounds pretty good to me.   Copy and paste. “   Readjust the valves after a bit of break in time “ heard some body say that before.  So I am jumping on the band wagon. What’s a black pipe?  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:08 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

yea, I've viewed alot of his quotes .... in the Analects of Confucius..... IMO most would be considered as common sense, this day in time, but that's just my thinking .. lol! 

Confusious says "man who stand on toilet get high on pot"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Sounds like it is running !!!  with no air box hooked up. the air box will make it sound different .  Sounds pretty good to me.   Copy and paste. “   Readjust the valves after a bit of break in time “ heard some body say that before.  So I am jumping on the band wagon. What’s a black pipe?  

sorry.  Shade said you guys were trying to figure out why my exhaust was so bright.  Previous owner just left and he said it was high heat silver that turned gold.  I repainted it black this morning.  

A90CA65B-623E-4BBE-88ED-EF6A44C23314.jpeg

How’s this fuel line routing look? I dislike fact it’s almost sitting on fin on head but it’s nicely downhill.  Debating tying it up with zip tie to ensure it never droops to head

93D01C9E-9703-4183-8A7B-91F63DBD0952.jpeg

Your missing the plastic heat shield between the tank and engine.  

• Like 1

Just now, Fishfiles said:

Your missing the plastic heat shield between the tank and engine.  

this thing I presume.   Looking at it bet it solves problem. 

image.jpg

1 minute ago, 87Iroc said:

this thing I presume.   Looking at it bet it solves problem. 

image.jpg

Yea that’s it.  Actually the shield makes it harder to get the fuel hose routed down hill.  But does keep the hose off the head. 

• Like 1

Trying to adjust pilot screw is a pain! My ham hocks are too big.  

got air box on.  It’s blowing white smoke out tail pipe.   Hope it clears up with seating of rings.   Other than that it’s doing great.  No test drives yet

had a constant stream of people in and out today so didn’t get as far as I wanted.  

Edited by 87Iroc

Congrats 87 heard the good news from a phone call this afternoon.  Any guess who that was....lol

• Like 1

Longer video.  White smoke is gone thankfully.  Have run it a minute several times lightly Revving it

The front diff is in with shaft hooked up.  I think front wheel bearings are shot.  It rocks side to side on those.  Next project is to go through front end.  

• Like 4

Just took maiden voyage(I don’t have cooling fan on it yet).  About 2-3 min in started burning off oil from somewhere so hightailed it back to garage.  Put box fan blowing on it again. Checked for leak.  Nothing obvious.  But letting it cool then will check it more.  Likely just oil remnants from head

seems to run ok.  Shifted in 1-2 fine.  I’m sure carb needs tweaked a bit but just trying it out.  

gotta run to previous owners house.  Shorted me a fan bracket.  He found it on his bench. 

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 3

Sounds good 87, you are well on your way, the fan isnt of utmost importance unless you are gonna run long and hard, it doesnt run all the time.  After a few of the longer runs I would change the oil then get some harder rpm's up and down......so the smoke from the muffler is gone??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Sounds good 87, you are well on your way, the fan isnt of utmost importance unless you are gonna run long and hard, it doesnt run all the time.  After a few of the longer runs I would change the oil then get some harder rpm's up and down......so the smoke from the muffler is gone??

yep.  No more smoke out tailpipe.  Thanks.   I will change oil after I get it going good.  Got fan bracket now.  Wasn’t sure how critical fan is.  Good to know

Yep, piecing it back together now. Got the cooling fan on. Going to have to figure out some of the rest of the bits as I go...but engine and transwise. It seems OK. Got it up in to 4th or 5th gear tonight. 

Thanks for Shade's help as well as everyone else that gave suggestions. 

I'm going to take tomorrow off and try to get the carb adjusted and finish putting body panels back on. Wife and daughter just laughed at me...but aren't surprised. Its supposed to be gorgeous in my area tomorrow. 80ish, low humidity and 'these' problems have been a long time coming. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

Yep, piecing it back together now. Got the cooling fan on. Going to have to figure out some of the rest of the bits as I go...but engine and transwise. It seems OK. Got it up in to 4th or 5th gear tonight. 

Thanks for Shade's help as well as everyone else that gave suggestions. 

I'm going to take tomorrow off and try to get the carb adjusted and finish putting body panels back on. Wife and daughter just laughed at me...but aren't surprised. Its supposed to be gorgeous in my area tomorrow. 80ish, low humidity and 'these' problems have been a long time coming. 

you are very welcome bro...glad to help a member out !. i can't turn down some one in trouble ?!..lol. keep us up to date on how she runs ?!!!.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

you are very welcome bro...glad to help a member out !. i can't turn down some one in trouble ?!..lol. keep us up to date on how she runs ?!!!.

Will do!

Edited by 87Iroc

Think I’m gonna sign off on this thread.  I have done several laps of my property and got it warm enough fan kicked on. Reverse works.  I burnt my arm trying to adjust pilot screw.  Just can’t get it.  Did get it to turn some and it’s running pretty good.  My little tach/dvom is useless. It says 2400 rpm but it won’t idle below 2k on that. Thinking of pulling carb to see where it’s at and going from there.  

overall though preparing to put plastic back on tonight/tomorrow.  

have had constant oil smoke off of head.  Did a quick watch while idling.  I don’t see a leak. Thinking it is just oil burning off of head.  Last spirited jaunt there was less smoke greeted me. 

thanks again.  I’m ecstatic after wanting one for 30 yrs.  

• Like 8

I'm very happy you got the kinks worked out! See if an aftermarket fuel screw is available. I know on high performance four stroke dirt bikes the after market came up with two different ones. One was just a very long screw that could be access by hand but still a little tight. Another was a screw that had a cable attached with a knob on the end. The knob was secured to one of the float bowl screws if i remember correctly. You could just turn the knob for fine tuning......it was easy.

• Like 2