Awrenchturner

2001 Trx350fm Oil Drain Plug Over Torqued

Hi,

okay, so I just rebuilt the top end of my engine. I torqued the oil drain bolt to spec and it has seemed to have stripped the threads of the drain hole. This a 2001 Trx350fm by the way.

I have searched the Internet for the better part of the day today to see what was said about this particular model. I have seen some suggestions on here but have not heard of any results. Most of the threads I have read are from 2016 and further into the past. Well, here we are in 2020 with a few advances in engineering.

I guess I am wondering if there are any success stories to an at least inexpensive solution.

Oh, one last thing: so far the solution that I am thinking of implementing is permanently installing a hollow brass fitting that has threads for another bolt to use as a drain bolt. Of course I would have to notch the permanent fitting to line upwith the cases oil passages around the drain hole. This was an idea I found from another site so I take no credit for the it.

An update since, is that I stood the bike up on it’s tears cleaned the drain hole and did not find any cracks.

All suggestions and ideas and fail/success stories are welcome.

Thanks

I had an old 300 with the plug stripped out. I tapped up to next size (believe it was 12mm up to 14mm) and got a new oil plug to match. Both tap and plug off ebay cost less than $5 at the time. 

On 7/10/2020 at 6:20 PM, Dredd said:

I had an old 300 with the plug stripped out. I tapped up to next size (believe it was 12mm up to 14mm) and got a new oil plug to match. Both tap and plug off ebay cost less than $5 at the time. 

Hi,

How long did it hold up for?

I had the bike for a few years after the repair, and it didnt leak again. Just be careful when installing, I'm not a fan of torque wrenches on an oil plug, just tighten it until its snug. 

16 hours ago, Awrenchturner said:

Hi,

How long did it hold up for?

It's a pretty standard fix. Should last forever for stripped threads....especially in an aluminum case. I'd grease up the tap so chips stick. Possibly flush some oil through teh fill plug to run it in to the pan when done to clean it out.

• Like 1