Awrenchturner

Tools needed for bottom end rebuild

Hi, I have recently rebuilt the top end of the engine on my 2001 Trx350fm. I am thinking of rebuilding the bottom end. I was wondering what tools I would need to do so. I don’t have any of the special tools that are in the manual, but am pretty handy in making things work with limited tools. My question is: What tools are necessary in an engine rebuild for this model? Thanks

Never worked on a 350 but I can tell you instead of buying a special tool to remove the clutch, an impact works wonders.  Without that you have to hold the clutch from spinning while loosening the nut.  Guarantee you will get some help from one of the seasoned guys around here soon with the other stuff....

• Like 1

air impact is a must have tool !. you may or may not need a clutch puller tool ?, i've removed them without the tool, and with the tool. all depends on how your aim is ?..lol. what i mean by this is, if your good with a hammer ? ( i use a hammer ), mallet ?, you can smack the back side of the centrifugal clutch to knock it off the crank. if your aim sucks ?, then i highly say buy a clutch tool remover !. a deep socket, metric set is a must have, sizes up to 27mm is a must have !. 1/2 drive for the air impact. #1 tool to have ?..IS THE SERVICE MANUAL !. a camera for taking pic's as you tear it apart comes in very handy if you are taking it apart, walk away, come back later..and forgot where parts go ?..lol. these models are very simple. please keep in mind: when tearing these down ?, ALWAYS HAVE A FULL ENGINE GASKET KIT, COMPLETE OIL SEAL KIT, D.I.D. CAM CHAIN, NEW OIL FILTER ( DO NOT INSTALL THE FILTER BACKWARDS ! ), NEW WET CLUTCH APPROVED ENGINE OIL, AND A TUBE OF YAMABOND OR HONDABOND IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE ON HAND ( THIS IS FOR SPOTS THAT DO NOT HAVE A GASKET ), if you have all this ?, then your golden !.

• Like 3

Shade forgot one thing.....quick access to the forum for those questions that always pop up.  Ask me how do I know???  Also you prolly will use your camera to post pictures here when having questions, a picture is worth a thousand words......other than that think he covered it.....

• Like 2

warning !!!..MAKE SURE TO SWAP OUT THE SHIFT DRUM IF IT HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN DONE ?!.

• Like 2

If the whole post is in capitals it has to be important.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A means to do parts washing , compressed air and a blow gun , a good straight edge razor scraper for gaskets , a wire wheel on a drill or grinder and most important a lot of patience -----

Don't forget  a " BIG " tube of red silicone , not - LOL 

• Like 1

Just thought of something else needed and that's a flywheel puller, at least I needed it for my 1998 450.  I bought a cheap one from Ebay for $15 and made the job easy, not sure if there is an alternate method.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone,  

I’ll be asking questions for sure. Lol. I do have to gather parts and tools before I do this rebuild, thanks for everything. I am doing more research on this as well as gathering items needed. See you when not if I get into a rut. 

4 hours ago, Awrenchturner said:

Thanks everyone,  

I’ll be asking questions for sure. Lol. I do have to gather parts and tools before I do this rebuild, thanks for everything. I am doing more research on this as well as gathering items needed. See you when not if I get into a rut. 

and i'll bet most of us will have answers !...lol.

• Like 1

Flywheel puller, impact, 3 jaw puller to get the clutch off.  That along with metric sockets and wrenches and you should be able to do it.

Flywheel puller is the only "specialty" tool you really need.  The impact and 3 jaw puller you use for all kinds of stuff.

• Like 1

Sounds good! Thanks everyone. I’m just gathering tools and parts right now. I am having trouble with finding the D.I.D. cam chain online. I have spent time looking for one but I don’t know where to look or what to look for regarding this chain although I would really like to get one. Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all of your input.

5 hours ago, Awrenchturner said:

Sounds good! Thanks everyone. I’m just gathering tools and parts right now. I am having trouble with finding the D.I.D. cam chain online. I have spent time looking for one but I don’t know where to look or what to look for regarding this chain although I would really like to get one. Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all of your input.

just buy the cam chain from honda, they use this brand name on their engines.

• Like 3