87Iroc

98 450 Foreman starter replacement

Pulling this out of other thread for this one question.  

Starter on my quad is heading south.  Have to tap it to get it to spin.  Occasions to tap it are more frequent and it’s quickly deteriorating. I presume it’s original and I’ve been very hard on it lately.  

should I throw a rebuild kit at it or put a replacement on it? Any recommendations of brands of either option?

thanks. 

The brushes are not hard to swap out on the starter. I just did one earlier this week for the neighbor

Just remember to use some Emery cloth to clean up the copper where the brushes sit on.

• Like 1

don’t wait too long to change those brushes. If one of those magnets or brushes break loose you won’t be able to rebuild the starter

I mounted my starter in a wooden block and used pieces of plastic scraper blades to keep the magnets in place while I installed the plate.

F280618A-B4F9-46F3-8280-14FA9468226A.jpeg

78C7F10E-B294-4B74-9309-9B55946B13E8.jpeg

• Like 3

i told you !!!..buy a starter from D&B electrical, for what you will pay for a set of brushes ?, you can buy a brand new starter with a warranty from these folks.

23 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i told you !!!..buy a starter from D&B electrical, for what you will pay for a set of brushes ?, you can buy a brand new starter with a warranty from these folks.

Sorry, dude. Did you tell me that? I may have spaced that part of conversation. Was more focussed on the proper way to hold your jaw while checking timing!!

I actually did end up ordering a whole starter for that warranty from DB. Be here Monday/Tuesday I think. May play with rebuilding the old one to have as a spare, though, if the brushes and such can be had cheap. There was a LOT of black powder inside of it...but brushes hadn't come out of holders yet.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by 87Iroc