FarmRanchForrest

199? TRX 300 FW Rear Axle Problem

Hello to all, i am a new Member here because of a suggestion from a member of the Foreman Forum:

My problem: the rear axle of my TRX 300FW has a lot of slackness, more than it could be bearing play, it must be a broken bearing or so. It seems that the rear brake drum is doing the job of the akle bearing, and lots of squeak while slowest driving attempts.

my question: is this a common known problem of older TRX 300FW? Is there any advice for fixing it?

Background story:

until 2011 i am owner of a 2011 Foreman500 and very satisfied with.

since one year i frequently looked for a used smaller Honda TRX (my 12 yo Son should get it instead of the Suzuki LT80) in local papers and internet. Honda ATVs are very rare in my Country (Austria, Europe) so i didnot find anything affordable for long time.But a week ago i heard of a "Honda Farm Vehicle" an old lady want to sell. Her late Husband died years ago and her son lives in france and all they knew about the Honda was that it was 4 Wheeler, loud, blue and broken since more than 15 Years. Because of she wants only "a few hundred Euro", i immediately took the trailer and got the thing. A very used Honda Fortrax 300 FW, buried flattired under a ton of mist, dust and old hay.

At home it got new gas, oil and a jumpstart via a tractor battery, i might fall on my knees, thanking: it runs within of 10 seconds attempt!

but after this happy moments i realize, there IS a problem: rear axle has a lot of slackness, more than it could be bearing play, it must be a broken bearing or so.

my question: is this a common known problem of older TRX 300FW? Is there any advice for fixing it?

Thanks to all of you and stay healthy.

Best regards from Austria

• Like 1

yep, common on these models. rebuild the rear end with a rebuild kit, DO NOT USE '' ALL BALLS '' BRAND NAME KIT !!.

• Thanks 1

Ok so thank you very much so far.

I found a good technical drawing of the rear axle, and the three Bearings that holds it.

Here in Europe there are Kits available without brand names and, of course, an "ALL BALLS" Kit i can find too. They all costs around 30,- $/Euro w/o shipping.

Becaues of we got REAL quality ballbearing Industry here (SKF), i may ask: are this ballbearings (1pc brake side, 2pc Differential) standard measurement bearings like eg. 6205 or 60006 or so? Or are the bearings special (imperial???) measuement? In first case i will buy SKF Bearings from lokal dealer instead of the chinese ones in the kits.

Can anyone tell the the measurement of the  two kinds of axle bearings?

Thanks a lot!

3 hours ago, FarmRanchForrest said:

Ok so thank you very much so far.

I found a good technical drawing of the rear axle, and the three Bearings that holds it.

Here in Europe there are Kits available without brand names and, of course, an "ALL BALLS" Kit i can find too. They all costs around 30,- $/Euro w/o shipping.

Becaues of we got REAL quality ballbearing Industry here (SKF), i may ask: are this ballbearings (1pc brake side, 2pc Differential) standard measurement bearings like eg. 6205 or 60006 or so? Or are the bearings special (imperial???) measuement? In first case i will buy SKF Bearings from lokal dealer instead of the chinese ones in the kits.

Can anyone tell the the measurement of the  two kinds of axle bearings?

Thanks a lot!

the rear end uses 3 bearings in the differential, then 1 for the brake side. brake side uses 6007, don't recall the model number for the diff ?. i do not know the exact sizes of the bearings, i always just buy a rebuild kit for the diff and rear brake panel. if BOSS BEARINGS will deliver to you across the pond ?, they are who i use. it maybe easier for you to tear out all the old bearings from diff and brake panel, take them to this place that has them there you speak of ?, have them match them up, worth a shot. also, for future post ?, please post the year, make, model of your atv , this will make is easier for us to look up parts for your machine. your in great hands here !.

• Thanks 1