Wheeler

What would you do?

BBK Dilema  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Help me decide which way to go... I'm flip flopping all over the place....

• Rebuild the motor & keep the 355BBK
    • Rebuild the motor & swap out the 355BBK for a 380BBK

Seeing how I'm going to be pulling my motor & splitting cases, as I have to replace one side that's cracked. I"ve been thinking about what I'm going to do.... Do I tear it all apart, rebuild & leave the 355bbk alone or upgrade to a 380bbk & gain some power? Now would be the time if any...  I'd love some feedback/advice/input good or bad, lets hear it... 

Edited by Wheeler

I would stay with the 355 and just freshen it up. Its proven to be reliable for one... secondly, you'd gain nothing by bumping to 380 unless you swapped on a custom highly ported head with very large valves and matched intake/exhaust.

A Honda head casting on a 380 isn't cost-effective and won't make any power except right on the very bottom... low RPMs where potential for increases in torque output is minimal to start with.

• Like 1

I’d stick with the 355 or look at other big bore options, I would not buy a 380 kit personally. 

@_Randolph_ has one you can ask him about it. 

To be be perfectly honest I like the size of the 355 bore, I might consider a small stroker if it were me, +4mm maybe, That would be 376cc at your current bore. Or maybe a 350D crank and run a custom rod on it to fit your current top end. That would be around 368cc, small bump but good bang for your buck.

• Thanks 1

I'd stay with a stock jug , so when a " oh no " happens , it is not as much of a waste of money  to bring it back to life ---- put a load muffler on it and it will make your brain think your ragging it , LOL 

I have heard a theory that I have bought into , when you sleeve the jugs over size , you are making the aluminum part of the jug very thin , so it gets hotter , when you hit water it cools rapidly and causes problems like warpage  that lead to a short life --- you might not ride water so you don't have that to worry about  aspect

• Like 4

Well I decided to keep the 355bbk. HL doesn’t sell the kits or gaskets anymore. They gave me the part numbers & I ordered two gasket sets. 

tha is for ur input

• Like 3