Chevymec

Looking for a new ATV

My mother in law is looking to buy my father in law a new 4 wheeler. He has a 98 or 99 Foreman . Just last year had the original tires replaced so he is easy on it. How much bigger/smaller is the Rancher than a Foreman from that year . Really isn't that much difference in price from the Rancher and Foremans but she doesn't want it to be much bigger because it has to make some tight turns when being worked.

• Like 1

go with the foreman, stay away from any of the ranchers. a good manual shift foreman is great for work.

• Like 3

So Friday evening, my MIL asked if I had found one yet... oops. Looking tonight on Honda, why do y'all suggest to stay away from a Rancher?  I myself would go with the foreman 500 but he would be using this in a turkey house to drag and shavings and having to drive around post. I found the 2021 Rancher EPS 4x4. Has manual foot shift trans, and TraxLok 2WD/4WD. Pretty basic or one without the EPS. I did look up the Foreman and it is only about a $1k difference in price.  I know she told me she wanted one about the same size as his old foreman and his is about the size of my 97 400 I have. It would probably never leave his property, no trail riding, no mudding. 

I have owned two Ranchers.  I had a 2010 4X4 that I never had any mechanical issues with it.  I have a 2020 4X4 footshift now. No problems with it either but it only has 150 miles on it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chevymec said:

I found the 2021 Rancher...

I'd stay away and get a great condition used 500 Foreman FS.

It would be half price of a new rancher and 10x the bike IMO. Buying that late of a model you are always paying the "new tax"

Save 3-4k and get used then get him every accessory he ever wanted.

Edited by oh400ex

3 hours ago, Chevymec said:

why do y'all suggest to stay away from a Rancher? 

some of the older first editions just had issues, if you read in the forums you will see many problems, now, not to knock you guys who like / own them, but IMO just not good utlity models .. take jeep, and shades  advise, get a good foot shift Forman. you mentioned a tight turning radius , well then you'd want a 300 fwd, just depends on your needs... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

I'd stay away and get a great condition used 500 Foreman FS.

It would be half price of a new rancher and 10x the bike IMO. Buying that late of a model you are always paying the "new tax"

Save 3-4k and get used then get him every accessory he ever wanted.

If they buy something with a motor, it is new lol.  

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 1:25 AM, shadetree said:

go with the foreman, stay away from any of the ranchers. a good manual shift foreman is great for work.

Ignorant but curious minds want to know why to stay away from the Ranchers and go with the Foreman.

Signed,

What I know about the current Honda models can be written inside a matchbook cover with a crayon.😉

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

Ignorant but curious minds want to know why to stay away from the Ranchers and go with the Foreman.

Signed,

What I know about the current Honda models can be written inside a matchbook cover with a crayon.😉

well, coming from a honda mechanic that has a foreman ( '89-'03 ), and has worked on just about all old school atvs ?..I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT !. the early trx420 ranchers ( spec the es modesl ! ) all seem to have tranny issues ?, or electric shift issues ?. they are pure junk !. do yourself a favor, stay with a manual shift model at all cost !. automatics, es models are junk, manual shift models are a tried and proven design, less parts that move/operate, means less cost to fix/replace when and if they break down !. but please..by all means..don't take my word for it ?, just have a look all out there on cl's, market place, the internet...and see for yourself..compare how many elec shifts, auto models are up for sale ?, then see how many manual shift models are up for sell ?, a dime to a dollar will show an tell you..YOU WONT SEE MANY MANUAL SHIFTS COMPARED TO AUTO'S AND ES MODELS !. sure..you will see/read that honda sells more es and auto models comared to manual shift models ?..BECAUSE THE DEALERSHIPS ARE TRYING TO PUSH THE SALES !..THEY WANT YOU TO TRY THIS NEW AN IMPROVED DESIGN !!..trust me..they are junk !. then again..don't take my word coming from a 30 yr honda mechanic ?..SEE FOR YOURSELF !..LOL.

• Like 3

If I were to buy a new one it would definitely be the manual shift auto clutch design.   Don't both the Ranchers and Foreman offer this type of transmission?  Another question while I have the experts on the line, Is the power steering worth the money and complexity?  Coming from a TRX300FW how much more effort is required to turn the Rancher and Foreman while stopped without PS?

I've got pretty limited experience with newer machines compared to old stuff but I love power steering for someone who is getting older.

It makes maneuvering the bike significantly easier and for someone who is aging. If you are concerned about fatigue... go for the EPS. I personally have only seen one unit with a failure and have serviced many. Like the others I would avoid ES and Hondamatic like the coof.

• Like 1

you have two 300 fwd's , right ? if you take care if them, they will last you a life time, and no power steering is just something else that will cost, and give trouble down the road. i gather you bring the steering issue because of the attachment blade on the front of your green 300 , there's just a couple ways to improve steering on a 300 tighten the front tire air pressure (if your not riding on pavement) keep the upper steering bushing lubed good, and my fav, add a 424 kick out., and yes both the 420, and foremans  have foot shifts, the new editions ? i couldn't say, i never waisted time to look them over. 

Hi 56Sierra: I have 2011 TRX420 FPA -- ESP --  Auto/ES -- The ESP is the best thing you can have on a ATV -- Only thing I had trouble with was the Ignition switch -- which I replaced -- my ATV has seen the roughest trails and snow. -- I also work on ATV of different brands 39 years now. If you treat any machine right, it will do you right. (also the TRX300 was and is one great ATV) --- This part of the country where I ride is very rocky, so these ES machine will take it -- without ESP your arms wouldn't take it -- just use it right and look after it.

• Like 1

Any newer Honda will steer easier than a 300, simply because the newer machines all have selectable 4wd.  Being able to shift into 2wd makes steering MUCH easier.

I recently rebuilt and sold a 2008 Foreman with EPS.  It steered easily and was nice.

That said, a regular non EPS Foreman with the same tires and fresh ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering bushings greased steers very easily as well, has fewer parts to break, and is cheaper.

I guess and EPS would be nice down the road if one didn't want to keep all those steering related components in perfect shape.  I know my ball joints tend to get tight and make steering more difficult over time on my non-EPS machines, until I go in and service everything again.

I don't like EPS on the trail.  It gives a bit of a disconnect at times, and that led me to being on my side one night when riding @basfnb's brother's 420 with EPS. 

It's personal preference.  Most people like it and want it.  I don't care for it, and figure it's unneeded and just one more thing to break, so I stick to non-PS machines.

• Like 1

I didn't think I wanted or needed EPS until I tried it. My opinion is there is no comparison. I get on a machine without it and know why I switched immediately. Takes out any kickback from rough terrain. My arms and joints don't hurt after riding anymore. Easier to maneuver in mud and ruts.

• Like 2

Well I have looked online at every local Honda dealership and only found 1 2021 Rancher 4x4 available.  I just sent an email about it. No eps, and it is green.  She was wanting red but this late in the game it might have to be green ! I sent emails to all of them in hopes they have one in the back not listed yet.

My buddy just bought a 420 from Honda of Covington , straight axle , foot shift , no power steering for $5,999 , he said they had more , make a call then  take a ride down or my neighbor has a Hot Shot business and he can deliver it to you for a fee

• Like 1

Supply is a problem these days, so if it has to be new, a green Rancher will do the job eh?

• Like 2

spend the cash, buy a trx500fm ( manual shift ) with the 2wd-4wd electric switch out, and solid rear axle if they still make them ?. they are just like my '03 trx450fm, cept 50 more cc's. outstanding atv to say the least !. honda does/did ?..make the trx420fm in this version with the solid rear axle, but its not something they keep on the show room floor. one of the hunting guy's at our camp has one, he said he had honda build it.

• Like 1

@shadetree, if it was my money and purchase, I would go with a minimum the Foreman 500.  Actually, I would be getting a sxs. Like I mentioned, the smaller size will work better where it will be used. 

I received and email back for a dealer about an hour and a half away this morning. I called and the one they showed online they didn't have. He said they go through them so quick it is just easier to keep the pics up. Asked him to put me on a call list if they get any in. Told my Mother in law and she said she will just wait till the summer to get him one. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 12:36 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Any newer Honda will steer easier than a 300, simply because the newer machines all have selectable 4wd.  Being able to shift into 2wd makes steering MUCH easier.

I recently rebuilt and sold a 2008 Foreman with EPS.  It steered easily and was nice.

That said, a regular non EPS Foreman with the same tires and fresh ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering bushings greased steers very easily as well, has fewer parts to break, and is cheaper.

I guess and EPS would be nice down the road if one didn't want to keep all those steering related components in perfect shape.  I know my ball joints tend to get tight and make steering more difficult over time on my non-EPS machines, until I go in and service everything again.

I don't like EPS on the trail.  It gives a bit of a disconnect at times, and that led me to being on my side one night when riding @basfnb's brother's 420 with EPS. 

It's personal preference.  Most people like it and want it.  I don't care for it, and figure it's unneeded and just one more thing to break, so I stick to non-PS machines.

i got 8's on my rubi....it drives as easy as EPS.... now there is a ton of play in the old hog...but she is old....it happens.

Becareful with meeting people off Craig's List and Market place , guy got killed in Harvey , La this week over a motorcycle sale 

i don't get why just about each one posted here have the front cracked busted. other then that, doesnt look too bad. 

image.jpg