Chevymec

Looking for a new ATV

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i don't get why just about each one posted here have the front cracked busted. other then that, doesnt look too bad. 

image.jpg

Crappy design.  If you try to push down saplings or touch anything with that plastic it breaks.

Solution is to get a bumper to cover it, or frequently replace it.  New ones were about $15 when I replaced the one on my wife's rig.

rancher2.jpg

• Like 1

that bumber should be required, but i get it, money is the bottom line with honda now, the quality sure has faded over the years, not just with honda but with everything new coming out from toilets to trucks. 

• Like 1

It looks like somebody thought the Rancher I posted was a good deal because it's already gone.  The town it was located in would be considered a safe location but anything can happen anywhere.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to buy it.  I just posted it here just in case somebody here might be looking for one.

It was me that was looking for a quad for the grandkids and I bought a 2000 220 Bayou a little while back.  The carb probably needs cleaned or adjusted because it has a burble (couldn't think of anything else to describe it) at high rpms.  Other than that it seems solid.  The grandkids love it but I don't like riding it.  It might have been ok if I hadn't been riding my Rubicon first.   

It is a miss at high rpm.  It doesn't really run erratic but just kinda flattens the rpm out so that it has to be shifted.  It really doesn't affect it very much unless you're running through the gears at full throttle.  When I get around to taking it apart I'll check the float level and the main jet for sure.

just off the top of my head , yeah carb issue, it doesn't sound at all like it's lacking in fuel, or a restricted air flow, i might put a new spark plug in and go from that point. have anymore details ? 

• Like 1

I did put a new plug in it but didn't seem to make any difference.  I put some fuel treatment in it and it seems to have improved a little bit but I'm guessing with it's age that it's had gas left in it for long periods of time and the carb is due for a cleaning.  Even if it doesn't need cleaning it won't hurt it.  While I'm cleaning the carb I'll adjust the valves if needed and check the cam chain out.  I guess if the valve lash is too loose it could cause it to do what it's doing too.  It's running good enough for them to ride but it isn't exactly right and that bothers me.  

okay good deal, if you added gas treatment, and it ran better, yep I'd say your on the right track (carb) might also drain the tank of old gas, and add fresh fuel, with stabil, and see what happens, did this bike sit for a period of time before you purchased it ? 

• Like 1

He said his son rode it on the family farm so who knows what that really means.  He also said that it was a 2002 but after I checked the numbers I found out that it was a 2000.  That could have been an honest mistake though.  They've probably already ran over a tank of gas through it so I doubt at this time it's the gas but it could be.  I got a parts bike with it that he said was running but knocked.  He took the engine off and took the outside covers off.  I might try and work on it later on.  It has a china carb on it and if I can't get this one straightened out I'll swap them out but don't have much hope for that to work.

image.png

• Like 1

you might be able to get the china carb working,  i haven't ever messed with one, you might also check with PO see if he has the old original carb, looks like a very nice clean machine, with what you said, doesn't sound like a BAD carb issue, so a cleaning, and or rebuild might be all it needs, it runs fine , just not at high rpm ? starts good, idols good ? 

i agree, but, I'm not one for a kawasaki , but those models are  great tuff quads. plus you have one for parts, let us know what you find out. 

• Like 1

It's built like a tank and rides like one too.  LOL

I'm a Honda guy too but those things have gone out of sight pricewise since this time last year.  I'll let you all know if the carb clean and valve lash adjustment helps.  Might be awhile before I get around to it though. 

I did ask the guy if he had the original carb and he said no.  It probably wound up in the garbage. 

Edited by RubiDan
add info

yeah, I've rode a few after working on them, and your right on track, there not known for a good comfy ride, lol, but they are tough well built bikes. i even called them for a tech sheet, which i think i still have, if i locate them I'll send you screen shots via PM. 

• Like 1

I had a Kawasaki Bayou , my buddy Skip had it , he use to ride it with us and it always done well , one day he bent and cracked the foot peg , so he asked if he could use my welding machine to weld it up , next thing you know it was on fire , he was dripping gas , by the time we put it out the wires were burned , so he left it here and after a couple of weeks said I could have it , I sold the rear diff to a guy that was going to put it in a 2wd 300 as the ratio is different than a 300 so a 4wd swop won't work , never did hear back from him on if it all worked out , I know I used the drive shaft out of it to make a 300 pinion holding tool 

• Like 1

you might also check with @Mistercleani think he posted a while back about working AND having good luck with a china carb, he's a great small engine guy, among other things, helped me get my echo weed eater carb straightened out.

• Like 1