ShawnB85

99 Honda Foreman 450ES neutral and reverse lights staying on

I have a 99 Honda foreman 450es 4x4. My electric shift isn't working. I have -- where the gear position is supposed to be and both of my neutral and reverse lights are on no matter what gear it's in. I have changed the gear position switch, angle sensor, shift motor, ECU computer. I'm at a loss at what is going on with my bike. Can someone please help me. 

Thanks,

Shawn 

7 hours ago, ShawnB85 said:

I have a 99 Honda foreman 450es 4x4. My electric shift isn't working. I have -- where the gear position is supposed to be and both of my neutral and reverse lights are on no matter what gear it's in. I have changed the gear position switch, angle sensor, shift motor, ECU computer. I'm at a loss at what is going on with my bike. Can someone please help me. 

Thanks,

Shawn 

when you changed out the gear position switch, did you line up the tang on the switch with the letter N on top of the switch housing ?. the tang has a long and short end on it when it sits on top of the switch, the longer end of the tang should be right on top of the letter N when aligned before you put the cover back on.

• Like 3

Yes I put the long tang on the N when I put the cover back on the motor. I recently tried a different ECU, and it did the same thing. When I unplug the big plug from the ECU the dash lights work as they should and I also get my gear position back. I get the same results with both ECU's. 

1 hour ago, ShawnB85 said:

Yes I put the long tang on the N when I put the cover back on the motor. I recently tried a different ECU, and it did the same thing. When I unplug the big plug from the ECU the dash lights work as they should and I also get my gear position back. I get the same results with both ECU's. 

OK, lets back up a tad. your very first post said your electric shift was showing -- -- ?..well..this tells me either the angle sensor is bad ?, or the shaft that pokes into it is sheared off not turning the angle sensor ?. i know you wont like my next theory !, but you will need to pull the rear cover back off to get to the gear position switch. once you get to it, turn the key on, slowly turn the switch to watch and see when you get the neutral light to light up on the dash, now put the cover back on. at this point you should only have a neutral light on at the display as well as the letter N showing on the display. now go to the front, pull the cover off the electric shift gear area, take a socket that will fit on the shaft on left side where the emergency shifter would go, shift up one time, when you do this, watch to see if the shaft at the front turns ?, if it does not ?, then its broken off the long shaft inside the front or inside the motor ?. the gear position switch at the back just tells/shows on the display what gear your in, neutral, reverse, or any of the other 5 gears. the angle sensor tells the ecu that the transmission has shifted, as well as the speed sensors located on the engine. have a look at those as well. and all i say here, then get back to us. 

I was going through the clymer manual and I unplugged the big connector on the ECU and then I got everything back. Neutral, reverse lights and the gear position shows up and works as it should. I've tried 2 different ECU's and I have the same result. But when I started checking things with the multimeter the black/green wire only has .07 volts. I checked the wire from the fuse box to the kill switch and to the ECU. It shows continuity. Could it be the resistance in the wire, maybe partially broken somewhere?

Start there with the key on & wiggle those wires connected to that harness. Watch the dash.

5 hours ago, ShawnB85 said:

I was going through the clymer manual and I unplugged the big connector on the ECU and then I got everything back. Neutral, reverse lights and the gear position shows up and works as it should. I've tried 2 different ECU's and I have the same result. But when I started checking things with the multimeter the black/green wire only has .07 volts. I checked the wire from the fuse box to the kill switch and to the ECU. It shows continuity. Could it be the resistance in the wire, maybe partially broken somewhere?

you very well could have a bad spot in the harness.

Just seen the posts and I have the same problem es450 reverse and neutral lights on -- for gear position. 

Any help we come. 

Thanks Mully