Outnback

Preferred method to clean foam air filter ?

My neighbor just picked up a Rancher 420 ES. It has a foam air filter mounted on an inner metal basket. What's your preferred method to clean the foam? 

just take the foam off the cage ... some use gas ? ..... but i use bel-ray foam oil, and the best I've found for bel-ray tis wd-40 .... as for the standard oil... which is people usually use is  gear oil, I've never tried wd-40 on it.. so  i can't advise, but gas will clean then just blow it dry with a blow gun and air compressor , or just let it air dry then to re oil stick in a heavy ziplock freezer bag along with the oil... and work in good, then just squeeze out the excess :-)

• Like 2

Yep, I soak in gas or my parts washer, then take out, wring out (gently or you'll tear it) and let dry, then re oil.  I used Klotz.  Usually cheaper in person than online.  Any filter oil designed for air filters should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Klotz-KL-606-Air-Filter-Oil/dp/B00230BKMM

Bet way to do it is to buy another air filter (OEM) and then put then new one on, clean the old one and oil it and put it in a ziplock.  Then next time your filter needs to be cleaned you just swap them out. 

• Like 3

I use oxyclean laundry soap in hotwater in sink. Let soak overnight. Looks brandnew in morning with zero effort at all. Let dry with fan blowing through it. Oil in a ziplock bag. Spray the oil into the bag then roll it around in the bag. Zero mess that way. Nothing gets on your hands at all. I do what ^^^ they do. Keep 2 or 3 ready in ziplock bags ready to go.

• Like 4

in the sink sink, or shop sink ?? i did that once when i was with the ex GF.... it didnt go over so well........lol! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

in the sink sink, or shop sink ?? i did that once when i was with the ex GF.... it didnt go over so well........lol! 

My wife is very understanding lol. Heck the last time i had to do a carrier bearing on my quad i heated it in the oven in the house. Smelled like a machine shop for the next few days but she was ok with it. Or atleast i didnt hear anything about it lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

you mentioned one time y'all were easy going..... you sure weren't  kidding around! lol! ... my kind of people! :-) in my defence.... she picked up the filter, and got that super sticky bel-ray foam on her hands ... i was away working 3rd shift .... man did i hear about it... she was the same one who shaved me bald, and dyed me pink.... so just an idea of what a tiger she was.... NEVER TOY with a red head!! haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife caught me installing a crank and transmission into cases on the coffee table in the den back when we were dating.  She doesn't let me do that anymore.  (was hot as hades in my shop, so thought I'd do it inside in the AC)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2