JoseyW123

Limp mode in reverse and 1st gear only

Have an 07 rubicon 4x4 automatic.... Dash blinks D1/D2 11 times and the 4x4 light blinks 5 times.... will not get out of 1st gear and limps in Reverse.... I changed the shift motor and the shift angle sensor..... cant get the system to reset... 

There you go Josey, welcome to the forum, sure you will get some response within a day or so.  Some nights are busier than others....

Some guys are good on the older Hondas and some prefer newer, but don't think there is a Honda ATV that somebody here hasn't worked on....

• Like 1

Thanks... this has been a great bike... the motor has never missed a lick... but changed it out to a 2009 frame and this issued started right off the bat.... just saw wire was off on the front of the motor... looks like the oil sensor .... fixed it and still no resolve... did notice we do not have the brake switches connect to the wire harness on the handle bars on both sides... other wise its all there... 

Took all the connectors I can find and cleaned with acid and dielectric grease.... cranks fine and revs up fine just goes into this mode .... will not shift into 4x4 either...

The more info the better for troubleshooting over the internet.  May even ask you some questions to see the history which you did talk about....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoseyW123 said:

Thanks... this has been a great bike... the motor has never missed a lick... but changed it out to a 2009 frame and this issued started right off the bat.... just saw wire was off on the front of the motor... looks like the oil sensor .... fixed it and still no resolve... did notice we do not have the brake switches connect to the wire harness on the handle bars on both sides... other wise its all there... 

not much for auto's ?, but my first thought is when you say it worked fine UNTIL you swapped over to another frame ?. when you did this...did you also swap out the wire harness as well ?. if not ?, then this is your problem so far.

We did swap the wiring harness... I ordered a new ECU today.... Found where 2 people changed there’s and fixed the issue...

When I searched 11 flashes code on a Rubi , first thing popped up was a guy that resolved that same 11 flash  problem after  finding the 30 amp fuse was blown ---------   sometimes the same results come from different angles , such as no power to a component from a wiring issue or no ground , I read where everything was fine till you swopped , maybe there is a ground that is not making a good connection 

It could be.... revs up fine until you put it in gear.  I will go through it again... the problem with the original frame was rust due to using granulated fertilizer spreader... rack and back end completely fell apart..... the difference is the powered steering is not connected but has not wiring harness for the power steering with the 07 harness.  I have checked fuses but will check again.... the 4 wheel drive blinking 5 times says the actuator on front housing.  Never had that issue before.... I ordered a new ECU comes in Thurs.... will update anything I find until then.  I cant find anything not grounded.  Clean as a new one currently and the entire front covers are off.  So its easy to see.

Thanks.

The D1/D2 blinking 11 times and the 4x4 blinking 5 times stops when I unplug the ECU.... but guess it would.  

Not only check the fuse visually , check it with a test light to ensure that power is going to the fuse and thru the fuse -----  trying to understand the wiring harness , I take it you used the same harness that was on your frame , and the frame you used to replace yours has power steering which yours didn't ? --- It that is the case then I wouldn't see no reason why not plugging in something that wasnot therein the beginning have any ill effects 

I have dealt with heavy equipment that worked in fertilizer  many times  , Bobcats are used to unload the fertilizer  from ships , they pick the machines up and put them into the holes of ship to move the fertilizer away from the walls ,  where it can be gotten to  ----- fertilizer destroys the machines , " REALLY " bad , at a equipment rental company I worked at , we stopped renting to the bulk terminals that handed fertilizer , one name that comes to mind is ambo-nitrate ( spell check that one , LOL )   , the amount of long term damage from fertilizer far exceeded any profits made , and something  , the wiring inside of the plastic coating turns green and dissolves ( for a better word ) , you say you never had any problems before the swopping around , when you pulled and flexed the wring harness to install it , you may have caused a problem-------  I found that I could pull on the wire and the outer coating would stretch out till it broke , cause the wire was eaten away inside the coating ----- I would think you need a new wiring harness 

• Like 1

I'd check the grounds, hook up those brake microswitches, and what does it do in reverse? 

The Rubicons are finicky when it comes to limp mode.  I've seen some that have that engine cut out when the reverse switch wasn't being fully pressed in. 

• Like 1

Ok... Changed out the CDI and the 4x4 quit flashing and 4x4 now works.... the limp mode is still engaged... stalls on rev and locked in first or second gear.... the dash now blinks on the esp/D1/D2 (it resets itself then blinks 6 times)

1/2 way there.  Party a bit.   Celebrate. Good things come to those that wait.  

NOW..... No limp mode in Rev or Forward.... But will not shift and will not show which gear it is locked into.

Hi: Check the angle sensor connector for corrosion -- also check for 5 volts DC on the black/red wire harness to ground with key on.

• Like 1

Black/red hav 5volts to ground 8 to positive..... tested the yellow to ground 10.7 and positive 2.2.  Green to ground 12.8 and positive 6.2

OK.... Now .... IF .... I unhook the angle position sensor and turn on key ... everything is fine.... ESP/D1/D2 shows correct on the dash to the setting with no blinking.... Plug up the angle position sensor....(right above the shift motor) and dash ESP/D1/D2 starts flashing 6 times again with a hesitation on the first blink.

Hi: Unplug the angle sensor -- measure the resistance of the angle sensor it's self -- Black/Red to Green/Yellow should read 1.6 to 2.4 K Ohms -- if that reads okay remove the angle sensor and check the resistance from the Yellow/Blue to the Green/Yellow when turning the center of the sensor with a small screwdriver -- it should read very smoothly from zero to 4 K ohms 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, JoseyW123 said:

I changed the shift motor and the shift angle sensor.....

Did you use a Honda angle sensor or is it ebay/amazon chinese garbage?

I already changed both.... the motor shifts... wondering if there is something special to setting up the timing of the shift sensor

If I do a reset with the up/down the motor shifts .... could be the sensor is set incorrectly?  Is the angle sensor and the shift sensor diff?  I have yet to find what every one refers to as the angle sensor.... I had mechanic tell me the angle sensor is the angle shift sensor shift sensor above the shift motor on the gear box below the pipe.