JoseyW123

Limp mode in reverse and 1st gear only

Hi: The angle shift sensor tells the ECM that shift was made when shifting gears

1 hour ago, JoseyW123 said:

If I do a reset with the up/down the motor shifts .... could be the sensor is set incorrectly?  Is the angle sensor and the shift sensor diff?  I have yet to find what every one refers to as the angle sensor.... I had mechanic tell me the angle sensor is the angle shift sensor shift sensor above the shift motor on the gear box below the pipe.

the angle sensor is a small round switch, it has roughly two bolts holding it to the front of the electric shift box at the front bottom of the engine next to the shifting motor.

I have replaced that sensor and have another new one as well.  IF I unplug it and turn the key off then on... the dash resets and looks like everything is fine.  IF I plug that sensor back up or either of the other 2 I have (old one and another new one) ... dash goes back to 6 blinks.

2 minutes ago, JoseyW123 said:

I have replaced that sensor and have another new one as well.  IF I unplug it and turn the key off then on... the dash resets and looks like everything is fine.  IF I plug that sensor back up or either of the other 2 I have (old one and another new one) ... dash goes back to 6 blinks.

That's it on a Rubicon.  Is that an OEM sensor or aftermarket?

Did you align the flat spot on the sensor with the flat spot on the peg it slides onto?

Have you tried re initializing the system?

I think I did.... hard to tell.... I am not confident its correct.... I tried... They are all OEM... but the inside of the sensor is pointed on both sides and the peg is flat... I was not sure if there needed to be tension on the sensor or not.

I have re initialized it couple times... typically the shift motor hums for second,.... but nothing changes 

I cant get any reading on the shift sensors from black/red to Yellow.... but I can when it is turned between yellow and green

Around 6 ohms between yellow/blue and green/yellow.... nothing on Black/red and either of the 2 other post....  that may be the problem..... can run and get another.

21 minutes ago, JoseyW123 said:

B368AB44-40C9-467E-8714-81057577036E.jpeg

bottom of this pic, orange and green wire under shift motor, that is your angle sensor.

Now I did not test black/red with yellow/blue with a load on it on the spring.  I just did and none of the 3 sensors I have read any resistance from Black/red to Yellow/Blue or Green/yellow.... BUT I just tested this one under load and yellow/blue did read 6 ohms with Green/yellow

Edited by JoseyW123

I took the one off the bike.... none of the 3 sensors test any resistance ever between black/red and Green/yellow, or black/green and. Yellow/blue

Hi: If you don't read 1.6 to 2.4 K ohms when you are testing where the Bl/R and the G/Y goes on the sensor the sensor is bad.

• Like 1

Okie Dokie.... I realized I dont have OEM.... They were listed OE... so I just ordered OEM part.  Honda did not have it local so I just found it on Partizilla.... $115 shipped.... Couple days will see if that does it but it only makes sense.  Thanks a lot for your info... much smarter on these suckers now.  Will update when it comes in.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JoseyW123 said:

Okie Dokie.... I realized I dont have OEM.... They were listed OE... so I just ordered OEM part.  Honda did not have it local so I just found it on Partizilla.... $115 shipped.... Couple days will see if that does it but it only makes sense.  Thanks a lot for your info... much smarter on these suckers now.  Will update when it comes in.

The Rubicons are good machines, but they do NOT like aftermarket parts.  The chinese stuff is iffy at best, and if it's not perfect, the Rubicon will toss an error code every time.

Had this since new.... never missed a lick til this came about.... swapped it to new frame (used fertilizer on other and fell apart). Been sitting up a while in the shop until found a frame.... now looks brand new..... just does shift like brand new...lol

3 hours ago, JoseyW123 said:

. I was not sure if there needed to be tension on the sensor or not.

Just making sure that you have been installing the sensor correctly - it wasn't mentioned yet about the preload on the spring necessary when mounting it to the engine.

Hi: This will help with preload -- also you may have to do a reset as you done before.

Just for info only -- the new sensor maybe a Hall Effect sensor -- which you can't check for resistance -- 

A_S.jpg

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 1

Exactly! without the preload it won't work.