sled_22

06 foreman, 1st gear replace, now doesn't move.

I just rebuild the motor to replace a stripped out 1st gear. I just got it all back together in the frame. Starts right up and started in neutral which i had planned and hoped for.

Problem: When I shift it into gear, the machine slightly lurches forward or reverse dependent upon which gear you ! it into. Then when giving it some throttle, the machine doesn't move. I can shift with display reading correctly, R, N, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It will not show display for 4th or 5th.

Any ideas for what i did wrong? with the machine showing neutral, i can push it forward and reverse easily, you can tell when it's in gear when you try to push it. You can hear is shift through gears so i think that's all lined up correctly. Could I have done something wrong with the clutch? I can turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise until i feel resistance then go 1/4 turn clockwise and set the lock nut. But it still doesn't like it's doing anything.

I know the clutch adjustment plate on the inside of the front cover was in it's slot and lined up with the adjustment screw when I put the cover on. Could have that move when setting it in place?

WTF did i mess up on reassembly? Purrs like a kitten at idle and when throttled up but i don't want to mess anything up.

THoughts or ideas before tear down again?

Thanks,

Sled.

You pinched the plates in the change clutch.

Stand bike up on rear end, remove fan, pull front cover. 

Wiggle clutch plates. They’ll move. They shouldn’t.

Loosen those 4 10mm bolts a little at a time and then when you have them fairly loose, grab the plate under those 4 bolts and wiggle it back and forth, pulling up on it. Those towers the 4 bolts screw into need to be centered.

Tighten 4 bolts back up, poke at clutch plates. They shouldn’t move.

Then button it back up.

• Like 4

Did i pinch the clutch plate with the 4 springs when i put it back together? i had to take the springs off so i could fit my impact socket on. I am starting to think that's the problem.

• Like 2

Just finished up in the garage. Plates in the clutch were loose behind the springs. Evenly tightened then back up and put it all back together. Whalah, I have first gear again. Thanks Jeep 

• Like 5

Here's another question.

I took it for a ride last night. Shifts through all the gears and runs pretty well. I'm happy about that. One thing i noticed, and it may not be a big deal and more of a voltage problem but the display didn't show which gear i was in for 4th or 5th gear. I know it shifted into each of those gears and out of them but it just wasn't displaying i was in any gear at that time.

The battery in it is basically shot. I just have it in there for testing purposes. I'm getting a new one tonight and thus far have only started it with the pull cord.Could it simply be that it doesn't have enough voltage or something else?

Thanks

35 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Here's another question.

I took it for a ride last night. Shifts through all the gears and runs pretty well. I'm happy about that. One thing i noticed, and it may not be a big deal and more of a voltage problem but the display didn't show which gear i was in for 4th or 5th gear. I know it shifted into each of those gears and out of them but it just wasn't displaying i was in any gear at that time.

The battery in it is basically shot. I just have it in there for testing purposes. I'm getting a new one tonight and thus far have only started it with the pull cord.Could it simply be that it doesn't have enough voltage or something else?

Thanks

going out on a limb here, gonna say your gear position switch is not right.

• Like 1

Just now, shadetree said:

going out on a limb here, gonna say your gear position switch is not right.

I know ! well when i put it together it was in neutral and the position of the long side of the tee was pointed at the N.... and the display correctly shows R,N,1,2 & 3. could it be slightly off and not show 4 & 5? that doesn't make sense when the rest correctly show.

Could it be faulty or broken perhaps?

What does it hurt if it doesn't show 4 the or 5th?

2 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I know ! well when i put it together it was in neutral and the position of the long side of the tee was pointed at the N.... and the display correctly shows R,N,1,2 & 3. could it be slightly off and not show 4 & 5? that doesn't make sense when the rest correctly show.

Could it be faulty or broken perhaps?

What does it hurt if it doesn't show 4 the or 5th?

its very posb the switch itself is bad ?. it wont hurt to not show 4th or 5th on the display...AS LONG AS YOU KNOW ITS GOING INTO THEM ?!..LOL.

It is... i don't think i'd be able to do over 30 mph in 3rd gear. I know for a fact i shifted through all 5 gears. I'm not too bothered that 4-5 doesn't show except for the fact the motor was just completely tore down and I could have fixed it then... Now what try and remove the rear cover on the machine, blah....there's a good chance i hardly use 4 & 5.

Unplug the gear position switch and ohm it out  at the plug to see if it's the switch itself or a poor connection where the switch plugs into the main harness (that square plug that's a ! to get apart).

You can find directions in the factory service manual download up in the toolbar at the top of the home page of this forum.

My 09 doesn't read 3rd gear sometimes.  Other times it does.  Only thing it hurts it that the "start in gear with the brake lever pulled back" does not work if there isn't a gear displayed.  You won't get spark.

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Unplug the gear position switch and ohm it out to see if it's the switch itself or a poor connection where the switch plugs into the main harness (that square plug that's a ! to get apart).

That's the one on the RH side of the air box just behind the frame rail? Might as well do that tonight before i get all the plastic back on it.

• Like 1

Correct.  My guess is you have a poor connection on the 4th and 5th gear wires at that junction.  Ohming out the gear position switch will tell you that.

battery and dielectric grease are on the shopping list for tonight.

My connector terminal wasn't completely snapped together so i put dielectric grease on it and everything worked well.

Next problem... Starter. It all worked when i took it apart.now when i try to start the machine, the start is clicking. it's getting power all the way to the starter. I know this by testing it without it bolted to the machine.

So i must have put something together wrong? Should i be able to spin the mating gears inside the case which the starter meshes with? I can't budge those carefully prying with a small pry bar. I must have put something together wrong inside? i just don't want to use it and mess something up. is the starter maybe spinning the entire time the engine is running? urgh.

42 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

My connector terminal wasn't completely snapped together so i put dielectric grease on it and everything worked well.

Next problem... Starter. It all worked when i took it apart.now when i try to start the machine, the start is clicking. it's getting power all the way to the starter. I know this by testing it without it bolted to the machine.

So i must have put something together wrong? Should i be able to spin the mating gears inside the case which the starter meshes with? I can't budge those carefully prying with a small pry bar. I must have put something together wrong inside? i just don't want to use it and mess something up. is the starter maybe spinning the entire time the engine is running? urgh.

ok..my first question regarding the starter..when you put the rear case back together..did you use a oem gasket ( if it had one ? ), or did you use some stupid rtv sealant ?. reason i ask : YOU MUST HAVE SPACE BETWEEN THE CASE HALVES THERE !..OR YOU WILL PINCH/BIND THE STARTER !. second: did you make sure you put it all back together correctly ?, trust washers if there was any ?. the main thing is the gasket !!!.

guessing this is a trx500fm ?, i just looked your model up, and there is a gasket on the rear cover ( stator cover ), you must have this gasket !. make sure you installed all the parts correctly !!!!!.

Brand new gasket. I bought the gasket set b for the bottom end. I scraped and installed the new one.

Yes TRX500FM 4x4

2 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Brand new gasket. I bought the gasket set b for the bottom end. I scraped and installed the new one.

Yes TRX500FM 4x4

ok, on the gears inside where the starter meshes , they should turn freely one way, but lock the other way when you try to spin them, you should be able to spin them by hand, if not ?, then some how you got something put together wrong ?. maybe a thrust washer in the wrong place ? it should be installed just like this fich ---> https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2006/trx500fm-a-fourtrax-foreman-4x4/starter-gear .

I looked at that fich last night too... I think something has to be in there wrong. I didn't removed the flywheel when i replaced 1st gear so that starter clutch should be fine. If i get time this afternoon, i might loosen the top bolts to that cover and see if it frees anything up. If it does, i'm guessing that thrust washer is on the wrong side of the gear intermediate gear, even though I don't think it is.

That or for some reason the starter clutch locked up on me while being out of the machine sitting on the bench.

Thanks again for the replies, i'll report back when fixed.

Used the engine hoist to put the back end way up in the air. Removed the pull start and the stator cover. I think something was bound but the thrust washer was in the right spot. The short shaft with the intermediate gears pulled out really hard. I think there was dirt or grime in there. Anyway, put it back together and the gears spun super easy. 

i got the flywheel back on and had to come in with the kids for some lunch. I’m 99% I’m good to go now. 

16728D71-E09E-42C3-A903-EC010AEA2676.jpeg

BC23196D-4E81-42CC-860A-C769F01A10EB.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

Used the engine hoist to put the back end way up in the air. Removed the pull start and the stator cover. I think something was bound but the thrust washer was in the right spot. The short shaft with the intermediate gears pulled out really hard. I think there was dirt or grime in there. Anyway, put it back together and the gears spun super easy. 

i got the flywheel back on and had to come in with the kids for some lunch. I’m 99% I’m good to go now. 

16728D71-E09E-42C3-A903-EC010AEA2676.jpeg

BC23196D-4E81-42CC-860A-C769F01A10EB.jpeg

good deal, it should work this time !. fingers crossed !!!..lol.

Good to go. She’s a little faded but for 2100 miles and $1400 into it, I’m happier than a rat in a nut factory. 

2693E267-32BA-4C76-BC7F-8E2E10F81C13.jpeg

9C206159-5EAB-4864-A254-EFA5060C6446.jpeg

CF08EA2A-EF9A-4864-86D9-824FF2B2C75B.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, sled_22 said:

If it does, i'm guessing that thrust washer is on the wrong side of the gear intermediate gear,

I've done this once.  LOL

Nice!  Probably a 3K bike around here.  Prices on good used bikes have gone up (along with prices on new bikes and parts!)

• Like 1

Ran probably 15 miles tonight off and on. Everything worked as it should (other than the rear brakes).  It does shift from 1st to neutral pretty hard while at a stop. Is this something that could be corrected by turning my clutch adjustment 1/8 turn counter clockwise???

• Like 1