Outnback

Is There Anything A Honda Can't Do ??

Darn, these Honda's are Great! Here is my 700 in action. Drilling a 30 ft. well using 4" PVC pipe and a water hose. In my area, for each 10 ft. we went down, had to add another water hose to wash the drillings out.

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

Wow that is awesome!

You are using the pvc as your drill material?

SCH80 I'm assuming with some kind of metal drill tip?

Is this a kit you bought?

I wish this kind of thing worked in the mountains! 😁

Great job!

• Like 1

Nice.  I need more info on that drilling setup.  Looks like something we might need someday!

• Like 1

i'm no well drilling expert !, but isn't it very risky drilling a well right next to that tree ??..hmmm..i see trouble years down the road for roots ripping that pipe up ?.

• Like 2

kind of a cool setup, but i would agree with shade .... is it going to be lined ? my uncle owns ... a well drilling company ... they've been called out on many calls to re drill, line water wells... we have a few deep wells on certain farms some super deep... all of them lined except  one ... that's  lined with hand layed rock, i have no idea how old the well is... we placed a metal cap over the top years ago. 

• Like 2

Originally I saw this method on a You Tube video.

I tried their method and it worked fair. I didn't like how it was twisting my "Well Screen Pipe". I completely pulled the first pipe back out of the ground, rebuilt the drill head. Started by cutting teeth on the bottom pipe. Then glued the funnel shaped piece inside the 4" pipe. That piece is actually not made for what I did with it. It's a 3" x 2" threaded adapter. I ground the outside tabs off so it would fit inside the 4" pipe. I then installed a 2" PVC pipe down the center of the main 4" pipe. Screwed (has a male threaded end) it into the funnel shaped adapter I had previously glued inside the toothed pipe. This stopped the 4" piece from back filling and getting clogged. It also gave me more water volume at the bottom, since I wasn't filling a 4" pipe. It also increased the water pressure. It actually cut faster and a lot easier.. When I got to 27 ft.I stopped drilling, and I just unscrewed the center 2" pipe and removed it from the inside of the 4" pipe, 

I learned it takes one garden hose to go the first 10 ft. length of pipe. Then you have to add another garden hose for each 10 ft. you go down. On the last section of pipe, I had three garden hoses and my air compressor hooked to the drill head. I should add, each garden hose has 80 lbs. of pressure. A person might be able to do the same with a high pressure pump. The water is needed to wash the drillings up to the top on the outside of the pipe.

I was amazed how the toothed PVC cut thru tree roots over 1" in diameter. That is a huge Sugar Maple tree, maybe 80 ft. tall.

IMG_2877.thumb.jpg.3767f4c0c312e1bbf4c6904d85d17f2f.jpg

First pipe goes real easy. Just keep rounding out the drill hole to be larger than the 4" pipe.

IMG_2869.thumb.JPG.cce076b1812e0d831bf5101dd94825ee.JPG

IMG_2872.thumb.JPG.43265613a644e3db37cdb1a61c7209af.JPG

Second section takes a little more work.IMG_2868.thumb.JPG.a18a50def8ad0da397a3ba372c42bfea.JPG

The last section took 3 garden hoses and an air hose to wash all the drillings to the top. Be patient and it works fine.

IMG_2883.thumb.jpg.b7c8eef42bf43f97f69677f959e5e9a3.jpg

Then with a little luck you get to this point. 

IMG_2885.thumb.jpg.214ba6e29cc63b69be922281f44ecf64.jpg

The first pipe to go down was a 10 ft. piece of " Well Screen". It has slots around the pipe to allow more water into the pipe. The You Tube method just didn't work for this type of pipe. IMG_2879.jpg

Oh, the guy up in the tree, I help him and his wife each fill their cow elk tags a couple years ago. Helped the guy in the white T shirt get his elk also. 

Edited by Outnback
  • Like 2

Sorry Guys, tried to edit my post twice. It wouldn't let me, said it timed out or has been moved or deleted. I wanted to add :

The wooden handle is just scrap oak I had. It attaches to the pipe with 2 - 5 1/2" radiator hose clamps. The board wasn't wide enough, so I used the aluminum plate for an adapter. The drill head is 2" PVC connectors and where the hoses attach, they are 3/4" PVC.

IMG_2883.jpg

On 7/31/2020 at 1:06 PM, oh400ex said:

Wow that is awesome!

You are using the pvc as your drill material?

SCH80 I'm assuming with some kind of metal drill tip?

Is this a kit you bought?

I wish this kind of thing worked in the mountains! 😁

Great job!

Nope, it is all SCH 40 PVC. Bought all the pieces at local hardware store. I like to help local Mom & Pop places when I can.

No metal at all. Just used my angle grinder to cut the slots in the first pipe.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 1:14 PM, shadetree said:

i'm no well drilling expert !, but isn't it very risky drilling a well right next to that tree ??..hmmm..i see trouble years down the road for roots ripping that pipe up ?.

Only if there is a pinhole leak somewhere. If the roots find the least bit of water, they will force themselves/grow into the pipe. Otherwise, they just grow around it. That tree was planted in 1964, so it's a young one by tree standards. Sure was nice working in the shade on a 100 degree day. 😎

On 7/31/2020 at 1:24 PM, Fishfiles said:

40 ft --- my well is 400 ft deep 

HOLY CRAP ! This well is just for watering the lawn and critters. My well out in the Black Hills is only 110 ft. deep thru solid granite. 

On 7/31/2020 at 1:36 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

kind of a cool setup, but i would agree with shade .... is it going to be lined ? my uncle owns ... a well drilling company ... they've been called out on many calls to re drill, line water wells... we have a few deep wells on certain farms some super deep... all of them lined except  one ... that's  lined with hand layed rock, i have no idea how old the well is... we placed a metal cap over the top years ago. 

This area is all sugar sand, covered with 6" of black dirt. I poured "Buckshot Gravel" (smaller than pea size) around the pipe after I reached my depth. That  helps keep the sugar sand out. These type of wells normally last 25-30 years then they are all plugged up by the super fine sand. It's easier to drill another well than to clean out the old one.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 1:08 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Nice.  I need more info on that drilling setup.  Looks like something we might need someday!

I can post a complete parts list if you need it.  From what I read on here, all of you guys who can look at those pictures and improve on the idea!!

I haven't figured out why you guys put up with an Old Fart like me ???  But I sure learn a lot and enjoy being here !

I'm all shale rock here, so that wouldn't work in my area, but that looks like a slick little job you did.....

That is just awesome!! Our deep well in 225' deep with the pump set a 190'

Not something you want to pull every year - LOL!

Great pictures!

• Like 1

My buddy bought a farm in Folsom , La., it came with a artesian well , it is 1,200 ft deep and doesn't need a pump , free flowing , they don't let you do that no more , waste of water 

His set up  is pretty cool as he has a big pond on his land  and his Daddy's land is across the road and down hill , there is a over flow creek that runs thru culverts under the road , his pond over flows like rapids thru the little rock lined creek to fill his Dad's pond , I was there when they dug his Dad's pond with a 200 Komatsu benched down to as far as it could dig , then dug again  , it must be 50 ft deep , his brother was a Wildlife biologist to start with so it is stocked with 10 pound bass  , the water is so clear from the well  ,  you can see them fish 6 ft down 

• Like 3