Melatv

Weather

1 hour ago, Melatv said:

Birds where skating on the bird bath here this morning -- froze solid 

Nope.  Nope  Nope

Was a little cool here yesterday, but pleasantly so.  I sat on the patio in shorts and a tshirt and was comfortable.  Cool enough that the skeeters weren't too bad.

• Like 2

Any one hear if our Michigander members were impacted by the flood caused by the failure of the dams? Ruby500, Retro? 

• Like 2

Havin a heat wave up here, temps around 29c here today..... too hot.....lol

• Like 1

I guess I can't complain about all our rain and flooding in the back woods..given the good folks up north who have lost homes, etc with the dam fails.  we are so saturated the trees that appear healthy, with fresh green spring leaf growth, are literally having large branches breaking away...had to clear one out of my drive yesterday before we could pull out...pasture has several large ones down.. I have clue what the back woods look like at this point.. I'd be knee deep in moving water from the creek breach...by saturday it should be back down to an axle washing for the old Fourtrax and I'll go see what things look like.

pond is beyond flooded and more water still coming into it...so yeah, we're full.

even if I wanted to venture out to the lake this weekend (which I don't..no way I'm getting into that crazy boating crowd on memorial weekend), but with all this flooding, the debri will definitely chunk so props..shoulda gone into the SeaTow biz (grin)

• Like 2

we had the same issues with trees here ....( back last season ) the ground gets so saturated .... the roots just can't hold when the high wind starts blowing. 

i really feel for those who have home damage ........ 

I am not affected by the flooding and house loses, it's about 60 miles north of us.  I was told they had around 6" of rain last weekend and the lakes, rivers were already over normal levels.  From what I read the one area that flooded overflowed from a burm that was built up to hold it back.  Once that happened it was lights out as the water flow quickly moved the burm dirt/rocks.  Like those that have had hurricanes the excess water doesnt just go away quickly so those affected badly will be awhile.  Trump was in Michigan today and said the Army Core of Engineers was dispatched to give assistance.  

Retro is way up north in the Upper Peninsula so way far away from this.  I know we have a few other Michigan members but dont think any are there either.  Thanks for thinking of us gang, appreciate it....

• Like 5

Yup, there was just one dam failure, not two, as the medias continually lied about. My sister lives a few blocks from the Sanford Dam that did not fail and I got honest reporting from her. Although water overtopped that dam for more than 20 hours straight (water began to flow overtop the dam levee at 1:30 AM the previous night as my sister watched, medias lied about that too) before the upstream dam failed, but that dam and levee held up fine, even after the upstream dam failed which brought even more water over the top of it and extended the normal period of flooding.

The Edenville Dam 7 miles upstream from Sanford is the one that failed. It failed because rain water runoff flowing over the top of the levee eroded a big hole in it and the impoundment (Wixom lake) emptied out. The affected area is a watershed flood plain where every river and creek floods bad a couple times every year. The area has flooded almost as bad as this event twice before, in 1986 and in 2017 (they keep rebuilding those bridges), but every spring it gets really bad and after every major rainstorm it gets really bad. Flooding is a very common nuisance in that area, its a watershed delta in a flat, sandy soil river valley that dumps into the Saginaw Bay basically. The city of Midland floods every year and has flooded every year for the past 96 years, its a normal occurrence. The upstream nuisance dams contribute to and prolong each of those floods. The media is not telling ya's about all of those details though.

My sister left Sanford once the Edenville dam broke (I told her to run west and rent a room, get away from the panicky overreacting EM personnels) but water never reached her home on high ground. My brother just outside of Midland left too, but water never reached his place on high ground either. My daughter left too after I talked her into driving to the next town to get a room, just so she wouldn't have to put up with all of the emergency personnel running around blocking roads and ordering folks around. They're worse than the flooding events themselves in that county.

Lots more families lost their homes and belongings to this one, thats what's really sad about it. Some of them had not completely rebuilt yet since the last big one in 2017, so its doubly painful for them... they got all of those past debts and now everything they own and worked for has been destroyed again. Most of them have no 2nd homes to go to. Wixom lake is completely gone now, its just a muddy plain with a stream meandering through it, maybe folks can move on now too. Get out of that darn flood plain and nuisance sewer. In the meantime govcorp gonna throw money into rebuilding all of those washed out bridges and roads. Once again. So it'll be shiny new stuff that gets washed away during the next bad one too.

• Like 7

One thing I taught my kids early on....man can build some amazing feats of engineering, but NOTHING that man builds will ever beat nature.  Nature always wins.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

One thing I taught my kids early on....man can build some amazing feats of engineering, but NOTHING that man builds will ever beat nature.  Nature always wins.

Yup, mother nature has the hammer!

• Like 1

weather dont ring true, by the national weather service. when they say its gonna rain, most times it dont as much as they say, when they say the sun is going to be out, its over cast or wet. for the first time, i got a field of buttercups, in the pasture, an the outlying pasture, where the horses graze. buttercup must like swampy ground. how it got here, after 20 years, IDK. it must have followed some bird migration somehow? sure is a fast growing weed. 🤨😬😬😠  

if you don't trust noaa...(and i don't 100%)  there are plenty of other ways to veiw weather radar etc, accuweather, intellicast, air sport weather, or, just build a weather station ... mines never let me down .. plus your local ham spotter network.. (for incoming severe) 

my weather station consist of a barometer, temperature gauge, humidity gauge, wind gauge, all mechanical .. next will be a dew point gauge .. you can't rely purely ... on noaa, or the weather channel... etc. 

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en

for lightning ..this ^^^ AND, . a grundig .. short wave radio. ...

NOAA used to be good bout a decade ago. i think they sold out. maybe just got more tech and lost their way.  i just read the clouds when i can. anymore, its mostly clouds overhead though. you can smell rain coming if your outside, and if the maple trees turn their leaves upside down you can about tell about how much rain your gonna get. my left knee tells me when its gonna rain, and my right knee tells me about snow.[i should pay attention to my knees when fishing, the lower the barometer, the lower you have to fish]. i got your weather station, cept for a wind gauge, i did hvac, im trying to remember how the stuff i got works, i lost those memory's, its coming back. my sling thermometer works on batteries, as well as my temperature gauge set. i can run three temps at the same time. 2 on the lines an the other is for outdoor temp when your monitoring the condenser. as far as wind speed, i just guess, my ol body knows that. 

you could tell, by a three day moving picture of the wind direction an clouds, in the old days what the weather might do, now your lucky if ya get a three hour moving map.

I am not a fan of our weather persons ability as of the last 20 years. But in all fairness to them. It seems unpredictable these days.  

me nether .... hence the weather station ...lol!  never heard of watching the leaves flip upside down...  i would thinking more of extreme hot dry weather when i see that happen ...

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

I got a family of green frogs live under the front patio , when rain is coming they go to honking , should have heard  them yesterday , I should have listened to them , cause I went to Depot and got caught in some crap where you could not see 20 feet in front of you 

• Like 2

Was hot here yesterday and humid, rained all night, hopefully helped with the forest fires here, supposed to be hot here till Saturday....

• Like 2

i always looked forword to hearing the frogs ... especially bull frogs ... which i haven't heard this season.. it's plain wet here ... dew all everything .. by far not typical weather for us this time of the year... the farmers that planted corn early should make out great... but the hay season ... is going to be a defrent deal... molded round bales is going to be an issue ... 

• Like 2

I mowed my lawn for the first time two days ago! Finally got some rain after that.

• Like 2

got over 4" in the last 3-4 days, no rain today, but more predicted for the next two. Humid today, expected to be near 90 by nest week.  To early to be that warm. Skeeters will be out in a few days with all the standing water.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

me nether .... hence the weather station ...lol!  never heard of watching the leaves flip upside down...  i would thinking more of extreme hot dry weather when i see that happen ...

image.jpg

ya'll got any water maples in tenn., they make good firewood also, smells nice, leaves turn up when is going to rain.. these maples grow fast, so you will have plenty of fire wood, if ya got land to plant them., of course it helps if there is plenty of rain.

Edited by LedFTed

this strange weather brings in things i havent seen in a while, or even havent seen.  i never had a buttercup problem, plant problems are different.

then there are plus things as well. never seen an oriole nest, or i havent heard a bobwhite in a long while, an one was singing in a tree close to the house.

i spotted two red lady bugs., first time in a long time, that had been a about 15 years or more.[we get those brown bugs that look like lady bugs. they are garden friendly and house invasive]. even a gray squirrel has been hanging around.[wish there were more red squirrels, there some more tasty 😀 an bigger too]. now to get a bullfrog or so to live close to the house.

Edited by LedFTed

i believe your calling a sugar maple , a water maple .... yes .... we have a bunch here, i prefer bodark (Osage orange) fire wood... they're a very bothersome thorny tree... with extremely hard wood, burns hotter then just about any of species  of tree, I've tried,  but takes a man of a saw setup to deal with them .. the only other use people have for them here is fence post because they rot from the inside out... and last for years. 

Sugar Maple is a dense hardwood Maple, My firewood stack is almost 100% Sugar Maple in fact. It has the same BTUs-per-ton of heat rating as White Oak has.

While Water Maple is one of the most common softwood Maples in the northern half of the US and Southeastern Canada, it is called a lot of different names depending on the region its found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_saccharinum

EDIT: Some folks call the soft Red Maple by the same names too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_rubrum