Melatv

Weather

sugar maple (around here) is considered the hard wood maple trees the most common types I've seen are red, silver, and sugar, (sugar) being very numerous over the other two species , I've got two in my front yard (one monster over 200 years old ) ...ive used sugar maple wood in my outside furness..... bodarks are a pain, but perfect for firewood 

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retro said:

Sugar Maple is a dense hardwood Maple, My firewood stack is almost 100% Sugar Maple in fact. It has the same BTUs-per-ton of heat rating as White Oak has.

While Water Maple is one of the most common softwood Maples in the northern half of the US and Southeastern Canada, it is called a lot of different names depending on the region its found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_saccharinum

EDIT: Some folks call the soft Red Maple by the same names too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_rubrum

the wood is hard, the trees are plentiful. i never thought they would be sugar maples. the neighbor had a different kind of maple tree, an probably still does.

too many small branches in the tree. i'll look up the references, you posted. i'll check the leaves, as soon as i get my shoes covered.

seems we run behind in KY and still have plenty of plastic grocer bags. [just tie a couple on your shoe, an you can get by for a 100 ft.] haha.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

I'd like to cut and burn Osage Orange too, if we had any around here. The closest we got to that class of firewood is Ironwood though. Ironwood trees don't grow very big.... but its awesome firewood. I use the RS chisel chain on it, can see sparks flying off the chips when cutting it after dark.

• Like 1

lol.... yeah i see lots of sparks .. there murder on chains .... , myself and Bcs had talked about them, he also told me they don't get very big up y'all's way ...i gotta tell ya, there not fun to deal with, especially the mature thorny ones ... 

my bad for going so far off the rails on Mel's weather thread, i reckon ... firewood gets in your blood ... lol! 

• Like 1

the leaves look more like the silver maple. still burns an smells good. plenty of thorned locust trees here. hard on chain saw, an very dense wood. the red stickers still have plenty of juice in them an are extremely flammable. i run a water hose set up from the the house once into the woods an set the thorns on fire. it was a sight to behold. it did scorch the bark, but the thorns were gone. that wood, or locust tree makes a hot fire an good coals. you need less wood.

i only set three or four trees on fire. just where the hose would reach and make the ground wet. it made it easier as the thorns will poke holes in your tires or your boots later on if ya aint careful. lol   

also i noticed the bark or maybe the stickers, got rid of ant hills.

Edited by LedFTed

Still in the heat wave here 20C at 5am got up to 36 here today too hot for me, thankfully we have a breeze....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

sugar maple (around here) is considered the hard wood maple trees the most common types I've seen are red, silver, and sugar, (sugar) being very numerous over the other two species , I've got two in my front yard (one monster over 200 years old ) ...ive used sugar maple wood in my outside furness..... bodarks are a pain, but perfect for firewood 

image.jpg

Red maple has a red leaf......😋

only in certain times of the year ... i believe ... personaly never noticed any maple with colored leaves till close to fall .. shorter hours of day light.. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

TB, thats nice for down south... been nice here the last couple days mid lower 80's , thankfully no more rain, or flooding, but the humidity is up, almost 80% ... looks like the standard heat wave maybe on the way in.. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

only in certain times of the year ... i believe ... personaly never noticed any maple with colored leaves till close to fall .. shorter hours of day light.. 

I'll get a pic of the red maple in mom's front yard, it was planted when I graduated high school....it's red all year.

• Like 1

Mel seems well enough a nice fella, an i dont think he would mind getting of topic on a slow night. me,

i dont mind at all, an get off topic all the time, even on the threads i post. heck. were my mind harnessed, i'd hate it so.

i dont want to conform, or be consistent. i'd like the option to change my mind, even when my mind aint working, even more so.

the times are troubled, best well adapt. still aint looking forward to growing rice in KY. but i dont want to let the weather get the best of me.

and i wont, even if i have to make artificial sunshine. tonight, the cloud cover is back as it has been too long. slow rain drops occasionally. real slow.

the weather here makes it seem as there is no good time to plant. seeds in the ground will rot with the rain.

its been like that here, for a few years. no more than ten or so. but its about time to get the food you eat, back in the USA.

why i dont want food grown past the US boarder is the US had more restrictions. i dont want to knock food from Canada, cause

i dont know of any food i've tried. it should be better that food from red China., everything else is. the people farther north still have

more class than most the people i know., though they live in a colder climate, like good food. they get good things to grow with the weather

they got. i could learn, if i study weather, and how people grow stuff in hard climates. wet climates are bothering me as of late. tis going on june an still wet.

thanks ! a pic is worth a thousand words ;) i can't say I've seen a maple with red leaves all year long ... all i have is two maple's a dogwood .... couple of hackberry's , one holly tree, and four monster pines, and one southern  mangnolia tree ... it's a flat more job to clean limbs up after storms ... lol here's the edge of both the maple , and southern mangnolia. 

Edit: a couple of giant black walnut trees. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

I had two maples in my yard , one is silver and the other was red , very messy trees , I cut the red one down 

That red maple screwed up the paint on my black Dodge , they drop some sticky stuff , I use to park under it , they also drop all their leaves in the winter , it did burn alright and not hard to split 

• Like 1

probably also what caused you to polish those head light covers ? they are murder on paint ... my i keep my xj jeep far away as possible ... i my invest in more dry storage ... as for that film ... it's all over the stainless steel furness top.. but viniger works pretty good at cutting  it off.... as for the jeep, dawn soap mister clean pads , and elbow grease... ah..... it never ends ... lol! 

50f saterday night, sunday night 48f, according to the national weather service.

5 hours ago, LedFTed said:

just where the hose would reach and make the ground wet.

if the locust (hedge, bodark) was that close, and not growing into a building, fence rom etc..... i would have de limbed them, and let them grow for firewood... unless they bush out... in that case ... stump them, and then cover the stump with sea salt... 

i reckon this is slightly weather related ...  here's those trees two sugar maple.. and the mangnolia, the dogwood is over to left .... now for the pine ... this pine was struck by lightening , OH? I'd say.. . about .. 20+ years back  ...  during a tornado outbreak  southeast in lynnville tennesee... reports from Maury fire was, it was headed north west (my way)  but my worry was the burnt  pine i smelled inside .. so i steped out to learned the tree had taken the bolt ... but also notice the temperature drop..and my ears popped from the pressure then,i heard the rushing wind go right over my house... that was about as close as a tornado has gotten here at home , still too close!! didnt sound anything like a freight train... you can gauge the diameter on that pine by the fence post.. she's big!!

weather here has been perfect! mid 70's no rain, and a very nice breeze .. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

nice today, 51f tonight, who would have thunk it in last of may, 45f tomorrow night. Jay, what kinda tree is in 2nd. photo? the tornado i went through sounded like a freight train on steroids, and much more. howls and other sounds, i dont want to hear again. i keep forgetting to ask my friend, what he remembers of that sound. i only seen him scared twice, that was one time. me, i just figured, Oh Well,i wanted to see what the tornado, was doing, outside, but i wasnt scared, an stayed in the basement to show those down there so... not to say i dont get scared, that was not one of my times.

when i was younger, the lightning struck by the house we lived often. once it struck a small tree an stripped the bark off it. another, i was in the basement, an the pipes rattled. on the side, where the lightning struck. trees got a lot to do with weather. sometimes the wind that comes from the woods, is 20f degrees cooler, then the temp, on the ground where there are no trees. if that tree is a magnolia, i never seen one so big.

Edited by LedFTed

pine ,if  your talking about the one with the split... and what makes a tornado sound like train is the tornado debris ball caused by debris lofting into the air...  usually followed by a really distinct  smell in the air ... for the few I've actually been through ... basically just a stink you never forget ... much i wish... i can't really describe the smell, just know it's a signature ... of the beast when it's touches down... I'm  not  frightened of them... maybe it's my curiosity ... I've always be overly curious of bad weather ... been struck a couple times by lightening lol! hail stoned,  i could on, and on... ever a dirt devil in a hay field whip up wind rows ? as a kid i used to chase those down while my pop was working ... i must have been about 6 or 7 ...  those were the good days ... now people freek out ... sadly there's not too many real men in the country any longer. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

i couldnt tell what kinda tree it was, as i couldnt make out the leaves[needles], and aint seen many trees with branch's like that. i think i run 3 or 4 hundred ft. of water hose. the locust trees were tall and about a foot in diameter close to the base. Pete locked up my husquvarna while cutting one of the trees. melted the ring, piston, and pitted the piston wall.  they wanted over $165 just to buy a new jug. i sanded the piston wall 9 hrs with fine grit in my spare time, filed the melt spots off the piston an bought a new ring for $11.oo. the saw is still running today. 99 model. lol   it didnt come with a primer bulb. and has a kick when ya start it. had that kick brand new.

model 51 rancher.

Edited by LedFTed

it's a pine, now what type ... i don't know .. never looked it up...  my grandfather planted many many moons ago ... I've never seen limbs grow striaght or almost straight up like those ... the other evergreens don't ... one thing is ... this one doesnt loose as many small branches as the others do... lol ... so she doesn't add much to my yard cleanup after a storm...

i don't know if that's a locust ... a foot at the lower trunk is a good size osage orange / locust... how old are they ? (best guess) if thats what Pete ?? brother ?? was cutting on...  you can't mess around with a dull chain ....  cause those are some seriously hard wood trees to deal with.. if the saw dust was yellow ... then yes it very could be locust aka hedge osage ...etc .. 

42 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

it's a pine, now what type ... i don't know .. never looked it up...  my grandfather planted many many moons ago ... I've never seen limbs grow striaght or almost straight up like those ... the other evergreens don't ... one thing is ... this one doesnt loose as many small branches as the others do... lol ... so she doesn't add much to my yard cleanup after a storm...

i don't know if that's a locust ... a foot at the lower trunk is a good size osage orange / locust... how old are they ? (best guess) if thats what Pete ?? brother ?? was cutting on...  you can't mess around with a dull chain ....  cause those are some seriously hard wood trees to deal with.. if the saw dust was yellow ... then yes it very could be locust aka hedge osage ...etc .. 

IDK neither on the pine tree. as far as the locust, it aint orange wood, got some pretty nasty thorns though. Pete, is one of my best friends, guess you would say hes one of my unrelated brothers. i got sister best friends also. my best friends are closer to me than my siblings. Oh Well!!

Edited by LedFTed

hm..... if the wood grain isn't yellow or orange when fresh cut then ... it's not a living healthy osage orange .... I'd have to see some pics to  match it.... but a mature VERY mature osage orange doesn't have thorns along the trunk.... just on the smaller limbs ... that's how all mine look ... sounds like those you have maybe honey locust, or maybe black... I've delt with all 3 . honey locust are just plain mean!! thorny from the trunk up, at least the ones i e delt with were.