Melatv

Weather

so is smoking.... anyways ....lol! ..... but not to worry ... now mask are going to become manditory ..... go figure ...

weather here has been over cast, clouds around  70 all day .... with a slight breeze .... just plain nice ... and located those pics unklerara  posted ... so credit goes to him for these beautiful sunsets shots ... his GF is in a couple ... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

had a close call today... abit more then we expected .... with hail, and lightening ..... thankfully not a word of tornatic activity ...  or straight line winds .... not even a house fire call due to a strike ... it's going to sure hamper lawn mowing... 

image.jpg

the storms this morning, were loud, and the lightning was real close. close enough,, i checked on my 2 mares, to see if they were still alive. 12 cows an 2 horses got killed years ago, just up the road. most the strikes, were blue., the strike closest to the house, was yellow, and the sound was at the same time,.

was some also close., just not like that. 5 seconds = a mile, from the light till ya hear a sound. the yellow strike an the sound was at the same time. not the 1st. time, the home has been struck. 1 time it took out a TV. the 2nd it set the house on fire. Hope there aint a 3rd.

its been close before. 🙂

Lightning stuck two houses last week done here ------ had a lot of close thunder and  lightning this evening and heavy rain for an hour , you would never know it now , it's dried up and the sun is beaming 

i was always told one Mississippi till a thunder clap = a strike one mile away 2 Mississippi = 2 miles and so on ... light travils at 186,000 miles a sec, and lightening around 3,700 miles a sec .... sound at around 700 - / + feet a sec i know one thing ..... after being struck a couple times..... i don't chance being hit again,  so at 5 Mississippi ... you probably won't see me outside ... j/k .... I'm always out in bad weather ... i figure after over 3 hits why not! after all. i know what it feels like ... just not a fan. lol! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i was always told one Mississippi till a thunder clap = a strike one mile away 2 Mississippi = 2 miles and so on ... light travils at 186,000 miles a sec, and lightening around 3,700 miles a sec .... sound at around 700 - / + feet a sec i know one thing ..... after being struck a couple times..... i don't chance being hit again,  so at 5 Mississippi ... you probably won't see me outside ... j/k .... I'm always out in bad weather ... i figure after over 3 hits why not! after all. i know what it feels like ... just not a fan. lol! 

i count slower in my old age. a thousand an one, Anna two, were fine when i was younger. still the same rule. i dont want to be shocked by lightning. when i was in florida, you could see the strikes, and they were straight, coming off shore. lighting used to kill over 500 horses a year. it was in mid 85.

no! you do not wont to be struck! ....... I've tangled with 110 .... that will hang on to you, 220 .... but,  lightening is a completely deferent feeling .... my hits always felt like a giant funny bone ... best, i can describe .... the worst hit... was when i was loading the furness, and a rare late thunderstorm moved in ... anyways i was out in shorts and flip flops . saw the bolt .. hit less then a mile away .... vertical bolt.... next thing i was thrown 25 feet sideways ... and the flip flops were blown off my feet ...

.we don't have many animals struck here.... but quiet a few round bails .... go up.... most smart farmers leave fresh rolled bails setting in the field (for a week or so)  due to the heat stage (fermentation) within the role ... a lot of those roles get hit. 

got hit plenty of times with 110, it tingles. only once with 220. it feels different. i dont want to experience 330, 440. some of the elevators i worked on were 600 dc. i dont want to know what that feels like, 600 dc will melt a file..  lighting and thunder, it is said, if you can hear it, you can be shocked by it. up to 15 miles away. i believe this. if i dont humidify the house, in the winter, i can make a spark 1/2 to 5/8 long. it hurts, but it is what it is. the spark is blue.

the electric cut out for 45 minutes, what surprised me was the phone quit working. not a landline. who ya gonna call, when the phone quits working?

man made doesn't worry me,  because most times it's just a lack of skill / knowledge .. or a simple mistake ... but lightening .... no... there is no predicting .... and yes ... under certain cercomstances .... you can get a static ground shock .... if the ground is saturated .... it's even possible to be struck up to 10 miles away ... it's  very  rare, but does happen depending on the storm coverage, and sevarity. 

after a short break from the rain / thunderstorms ..... they have come back ... it's been rain / flooding here for the last  3 days .... and another front headed down from the north west.... these north westerlyfront usually turn out to some of the worst weather  (severe) we get..... and there have been a few swift water rescues...roads completely washed away, the good news no fatalities! i spent a few hours pumping out what little water got in my storm shelter..... i was thinking the rainy season was going to let up soon, but, i guess not .... the humidity .... is around 90% .... and the bar pressure is taking a nose dive ... looks to be a damp 4th coming ... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Weatherman says we are going to get 4-5 days in a row of rain ---- bring it on  

@Derf40 needs this more then we do..... lol ..... I'm about sick of all this flooding up here... only good thing is, my home is on a hill.... but i sure do feel those who built in low laying areas .... it's kind of odd ... all the very old homes around here were built on hills, but all these new homes . we're built in flood prone areas .... and people purchasing these homes  don't take in account how flooding waters act around here..... just purchase,or build where it perks ...... but that's not always the case around here ... I'm sure glad we have a long running cave system (that helps drain off) ......it sure shows at my cave fed spring branch .... 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Weatherman says we are going to get 4-5 days in a row of rain ---- bring it on  

No No on rain have outdoor projects going on.hope it stays your way

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was +33 today with 90% humidity. I could literally skate across the shop floor today on my work boots. Lol

• Haha 1

the rain finally broke ..... it's been super nice out ..... a tad warm.... but at least it's a drying out time ..... we could use it here!!! 

• Like 1

It has been around 30 here for the last couple of days. Sunny and hot for the next week. I am close to Niagara Falls for reference. Watering the lawns every day. Grass is turning brown and drying out on most lawns around here lately.

I love it when my lawn goes brown, I don't have to cut it much.......lol

• Like 4

last heavy rain washed out the driveway at the bottom, gotta bring in heavy equipment to fix it.

Edited by LedFTed

the rain skipped a day then came back today ....  2 inches ... and multiple houses struck .... by lightening ... what a way to finish off the holiday weekend ... so far ... Maury fire has not been dispatched ... 

We had a frog floater on the 4th.  Probably got a couple of inches of rain in a half hour.  We were headed to my buddy's who just put in a pool, and the bottom dropped out right as we pulled up to his house.  Almost overflowed his new pool!  LOL.

Skeeters were horrible while we tried to watch fireworks, and the kid was tired from the long day so we headed home about 9:30.  You could hardly see driving through town from the smoke from all the fireworks.

• Like 1

oh, it never ends we just got  hit with one of those rare storms from the north.....i have no clue how many inches this one let loose of, ...l but the radio has been alive with road closings, thankfully no more then that, but that smell... was in the air.... that particular smell when a tornadoe touches down..... that smell always alarms me .... i stepped out to hear that spring branch at a good roar..... at 3 am.... that familure yellow lightening was the 1st sign.... been a few years seance ...I've seen it.. as clear as i did this AM. I'm sure there will be more downed trees due to the saturated ground, and wind... 

image.jpg

• Sad 1

gong to be another hot and humid day here in the south, we hit 92 f, with 70% humidity....  today's forcast is suppose to be even hotter... 11 minutes after 9 .. and it's already 85 in the shade with no breeze..  stay safe guys. 

Going into day 2 of the heat wave here, it has only gotten down to 19 overnight, hard to sleep with no ac

We've been on the coast of South Carolina for a week.  Was hot and humid there, but when we got home this weekend we found 95-96 degrees, high humidity, and no wind.  Heat index yesterday was 108 when I thought about going out to do some work.  I stayed on the couch.

• Like 2