Melatv

Weather

Y'all can have those hurricanes and tornadoes!!! I'll take my cold bizzards and clear blue sky winter days any day over the unknown of that kind of weather. Plus we dont get the torrential rain and flooding. Onky flooding we worry about is from spring run off and even then unless you live near the river in the floodplain you dont worry about it. And I dont live in the floodplain.

The concern here is forest fires,  most things seemed to be burnt now, due to fires the last couple of years.  Been great this year poor weather and rain, and rain for most of the spring and summer, don't think it will last though. I guess it is better/easier to deal with the devil you know, than the one you don't.  Raining now.

Yeah we have our issues of forest fires around our area too. Stinkin tree huggers blocking the forest management make me wanna puke. Not saying they should go in and clear cut everything but boy I'll tell you what, the areas that they have are beautiful healthy forests there now. They won't allow any logging companies to come in and do anything anymore even if it means keeping the forest safe and managing the deadfall. Things are drying out but I don't think we're gonna have to bad of fire season this year.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 7:12 PM, Fishfiles said:

image.png

it was hard to concentrate on the weather. 

On 6/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Two of my closest friends died from that.  One got bad on them, his family locked him in the house to try to make him dry out, and he shot himself while he was locked in there.  The other went to rehab, got off the pills, and then when he got home he'd lost his farm, and his wife left him while he was in rehab.  He drank himself to death in under a year.

My sister is (or perhaps was would be more accurate) a recovered addict....had a friend in New Orleans she went to visit, met a bunch of people down there she thought were fun, ended up hanging out down there a LOT, fell in with a drug dealer "boyfriend" and did lots of speed/ Cocaine with him (she was no angel before, but got bad during the time she was spending in NO). 

She went to rehab when my parents threatened to disown her and I told her she couldn't be around my kids anymore, and for awhile more or less straightened up, but lately she's been drinking more (binge drinking alcoholic), and Sunday after I church I stopped by her house and she was messed up... at noon on a Sunday. 

I confronted her and she lied twice saying she wasn't screwed up,  before finally saying she hurt her back and took a muscle relaxer and something else (don't remember what).  I went off on her.  She'll be 50 in August, laziest person I know, irresponsible as !, and now she's messing with this crap.  She asked what my problem was and I told her I was sick of having a druggie deadbeat for a sister and she needed to grow the ! up. 

More than likely we'll bury her before we bury my parents.  The thing that makes me so mad is she has this "I'm the victim" mentality and has ALWAYS refused to take responsibility for any of her screw-ups. She even does the "I'm the screw up in the family, haha":around my kids. 

She went to the best schools my parents could afford, graduated from a small private college in SC with a degree in Computer Science and a minor in German, and this is what she's done with it.  I just got mad again typing this.

got an ex sister-in law, i could tell wasnt right from the start. pain pill's put a damper on her, she got into meth. she aint the person, she wasn't anyway., the pain pills and the meth didn't help. shes getting old now. doubt she can snooker another guy into marriage. she had 5 or 6.

Edited by LedFTed

5 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Y'all can have those hurricanes and tornadoes!!! I'll take my cold bizzards and clear blue sky winter days any day over the unknown of that kind of weather. Plus we dont get the torrential rain and flooding. Onky flooding we worry about is from spring run off and even then unless you live near the river in the floodplain you dont worry about it. And I dont live in the floodplain.

oh, it's  not that bad, ff... tornadoes ... happen on a rare occasion, and in hilly country ... it's a hit or miss type deal....and long tracking tornadoes .... are extremely rare...ether way I'd not like to deal.. with them.. being i storm tracked for a short time (5 years) had my truck scooted side ways ... beet with hail stones ... most of the severe extreme weather always starts in the west, and gains moisture,and power the further east it moves... but yes flooding here, is very troublesome! .... most times .. it's the lightening, and straight line winds that cause structure damage. 

On 6/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

a parent who would allow there child to tamper with drugs .... is not a parent ! if intervention (help) is not wanted then imform the law ... that's much better then to see them COMPLETELY waist there lives... or even worse .. end loosing there lives! 

that stuff, that has to do with me, if that, happened in the 70s, tonight i cant remember the 70s

• Confused 1

we usually get slight wind, and and light rain, and warmer humid weather from remnants of hurricanes ....  sometimes severe storms flare up, but that also is very rare... 

On 5/5/2020 at 12:02 PM, retro said:

If you don't like being owned, you'll have to stop supporting and participating in your govcorp. Thats your responsibility. Its called freedom. Turn your back and walk away, till your soil and grow something useful that benefits universe.

i missed this post. it rings true.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:31 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

i was always told one Mississippi till a thunder clap = a strike one mile away 2 Mississippi = 2 miles and so on ... light travils at 186,000 miles a sec, and lightening around 3,700 miles a sec .... sound at around 700 - / + feet a sec i know one thing ..... after being struck a couple times..... i don't chance being hit again,  so at 5 Mississippi ... you probably won't see me outside ... j/k .... I'm always out in bad weather ... i figure after over 3 hits why not! after all. i know what it feels like ... just not a fan. lol! 

i was told it take 5 Mississippi's to make up a mile. i didnt count time like that on a race horse. i alternated between 1Mississippi , Anna a 2, 3Mississippi, Anna a 4,. so on you can do a mile or so riding, counting like that. least i could. counting thunder, i heard, if you can hear it, you are in danger of getting struck., the sound could be 15 mile's away, the electricity rubbed off from clouds[static], still can hit ya. whadda i know.

lol! .... no, it goes like this... once you see a bolt... you count ... one miss , two, etc, and when hear the thunder clap... that a close guess as to how  far the lightening bolt struck (in miles)....and no, just because you hear thunder doesn't mean your close enough to be struck ..

Edited by _Wilson_™

On 7/22/2020 at 1:16 PM, shadetree said:

and just what the heck does all this tobacco have to do with the weather ???, ya'll getting off topic !..lol.

everything.

13 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

lol! .... no, it goes like this... once you see a bolt... you count ... one miss , two, etc, and when hear the thunder clap... that a close guess as to how  far the lightening bolt struck (in miles)....and no, just because you hear thunder doesn't mean your close enough to be struck ..

actually. that makes more sense. light is faster then sound. you count the light, till ya hear the sound, that tells ya how far the storm is away. kinda like when the bullet hits, it dont matter where the sound came from, because its too late., now i have to look up the speed of bullets, in relationship to sound.;~}

no,no, you count when you see the flash ... then listen for the clap, that doesn't give you a distance the storm is, but rather the the distance of the bolt of lightening bolt.... light  is about 186.000 miles a sec, sound is about 700-800 feet a sec. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

the home here was bought by my mother,, she crossed over. its a modular home, 72'x30' with a basement., but it wasnt properly grounded. modular homes are kinda like side by side trailers one side was not connected to the other when the house was built. it was not grounded. it could have been done easy. i got pictures somewhere, where the installers could have done this. if your house is getting struck by lighting, it probably doesnt have the ground right.

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no,no, you count when you see the flash ... then listen for the clap, that doesn't give you a distance the storm is, but rather the the distance of  bolt of lightening bolt.... light  is about 186.000 miles a sec, sound is about 700-800 feet a sec. 

3 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

the home here was bought by my mother,, she crossed over. its a modular home, 72'x30' with a basement., but it wasnt properly grounded. modular homes are kinda like side by side trailers one side was not connected to the other when the house was built. it was not grounded. it could have been done easy. i got pictures somewhere, where the installers could have done this. if your house is getting struck by lighting, it probably doesnt have the ground right.

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no,no, you count when you see the flash ... then listen for the clap, that doesn't give you a distance the storm is, but rather the the distance of  bolt of lightening bolt.... light  is about 186.000 miles a sec, sound is about 700-800 feet a sec. 

OK, i got it now. the brain is kinda thick [as a brick, Jethro.] least i know it is, as it pertains to me.

Edited by LedFTed

i couldn't advise on grounding a house.... i have lightening rods atop mine, but the trees i have are so tall...... I've never had an issue except that one pine that got spit ... that hit worried me .....i thought it killed that tree, but it's still alive and bigger then ever .. lol.

We had a 99 one day this week , norm been around 93 everyday , hasn't rained in 6 days , getting dusty on the job sites 

12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i couldn't advise on grounding a house.... i have lightening rods atop mine, but the trees i have are so tall...... I've never had an issue except that one pine that got spit ... that hit worried me .....i thought it killed that tree, but it's still alive and bigger then ever .. lol.

its kinda simple. drive a rod into the ground, attach it to the ground, in the electrical box. something like that. course i'm talking about the main box into the house, not the breaker box. were the place, ya lived have metal underneath, it dont hurt at all to ground the metal. actually, it dont hurt to make sure the breaker box is grounded, with a metal rod in the dirt. the more grounds the better.

i cant help ya on grounding a tree. let the lighting strike elsewhere. i have thought about this., you dont want to know. LOL

Edited by LedFTed

my house has the meter box grounded... even the outside furness is grounded.... the rods are linked via cable that runs to a rod driven 7 feet in the ground... i even have my radio antenna towers grounded ... so as for grounding ... I'm covered ... lol! but... you never can tell what will happen with lightening .... i just hope to see one more thing of it, ball lightening ... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

We had a 99 one day this week , norm been around 93 everyday , hasn't rained in 6 days , getting dusty on the job sites 

do yall still have the humidity in the air even tho it's been a while sence any wet weather ?

16 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

do yall still have the humidity in the air even tho it's been a while sence any wet weather ?

yesterday morning it was 64 degrees at daylight , didn't pay attention to humidity , felt nice till 9:00 then it got steamy ----I just walked outside to check and it is 72 degrees and 93% humidity this morning 

61 this morning here ,humidity 80%  i got back  from columbia ... and it's a extra thick foggy out ... i was listening to 99.7 wtn on the radio... the forcast here for the next week is 100 plus .. with afternoon thunderstorms each day... which will  just make it plain sticky out .... shades kind of weather  i reckon ...there's something wrong with his internal thermostat ..... lol! 

fish sounds like another hot day for y'all down there... 

Ughhh!!!! Was 48 here lastnight Makes for some great sleeping with the windows open. It's been mid nineties here but cools down nicely at night. That humidity would kill me! Love the mountain air!

• Like 1

been too hot to really enjoy much outdoors.. I think I've cranked the honda 3 times in the last month!  normally it sees some sort of ride/work almost daily.

I get off work around 5:30...by then the mid 90s day has generated popup severe storms, and it's still just sweltering..so I wind up skipping my outdoor chores and play.

had a bit of abreeze last Sunday so it was bearable out on the lake...had one of our family units.. my daughter, her hubby and her 3 kids, plus they grabbed another of my grandaughters to come along..we cruised a bit, tubed, and beached at the side of a shady island annd took a swim..

last Saturday, a couple of the other family units brought their kids over to our pool..and we stayed in the water for about 3 hours.. I put a 10x10 pupup out over the steps corner area of the pool so we could a some shade escape...

but I'm behind on my outdoor play and work..other than riding the lawn tractor in circles to keep things cut, there's a lot of other work I want to do..just not liking the heat/heat index.

I've got some maintenance that really needs to happen...with covid we cancelled a couple camping trips/vacation stuff, so the travel trailer has been sitting more than normal... I need to charge up the batteries, sanitize the water system, etc.

there's an older honda eu2000 that needs carb work.. I am cheating.. I bought a replacement carb..swap it out and add it to my bench of stuff, to work on later...there's still an old 1979 CT90 carb sitting there needing to be done...who knows when.