Melatv

Weather

Sally looks to be a monster! Makes our blizzards seem insignificant. Open all of you are battened down and safe. Fire is still not contained, however has not spread much. We are getting a direct jet stream blast of smoke from the California fires. We can't even see our mountains around us visibility is less than 2 miles .  Sun came up and just  Barely sa color in the smoke above the ridge of where the mountains are. Can look directly at it with no problem, Kind of looks like a tangerine in the sky. Smoke has been very unpleasant to work yet while outside by the end of the day Eyes are burning and throat is pretty dry.  We need some rain badly.  This picture doesn't even begin to show the color of the Sun looks like just a white circle That is actually a bright glowing Orange.

20200916_074643.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hurricanes are strange , it's  projected  path was right for my house ,  we were preparing for the worst , Sally veered off to the east , we were just miles from the feeder bands spinning  on radar , never seen much more than 25 mph  winds and hardly any rain , the La.coastline is flooded from wind driven water , it wound up going in at Gulf Shores  they are saying if that storm would have kept it's track ,  Louisiana would have flooded bad   , worst than Katrina did as it was a slow mover and pushed a lot of water and the angle that it would have come in on us would be the worst case  , we were very lucky 

• Like 5

That's an answer to prayer, glad you guys were spared. The results of that could have been atrocious. 

Get this, to play down the dispelled rumors that our fire was human started, "they"  Are saying the results of the fire investigation "could have" possibly been the result of a lightning strike.  Funny thing is, we have not had any rain or thunder storms for over two weeks prior to the fire. They said they have had cases where lightning has struck a tree and smoldered for 2 weeks. That I can believe, if the conditions were wet. However, had that happened, the fire would have started long before that as we had sustained winds Early on in the week of 35 miles per hour and gusts to 45 coming directly out of the West blowing right at where the fire started. I'm not buying it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

i would agree.... if it was conditions were wet , but as dry as you have described it ... NOPE not a chance a standing tree smoldering with wind blowing .... 

They can go underground, travel, and come up some distance,  and get going again, some have survived the winter.  Never under estimate mother nature's ability.

CamKnough,  I am not a forester, and this is a legitimate question,  Don't you think it would have started  sooner with 3 days of sustained wind prior to its actual start day? When it started there wasn't a stitch of wind. A guy that I work with was just below the mountain where it started and he said it was calm air, then  within five min was burning like crazy. I  dont know seems suspect to me. The investigator that sis all the explaining  wasn't even from this area. Like I said, the only rain we had was almost 2 1/2 weeks prior to the fire and there really wasn't any lightning activity then. We'll never know🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

A guy that I work with was just below the mountain where it started and he said it was calm air, then  within five min was burning like crazy. I  dont know seems suspect to me.

i would agree sounds  dry strange ... 

5 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

CamKnough,  I am not a forester, and this is a legitimate question,  Don't you think it would have started  sooner with 3 days of sustained wind prior to its actual start day? When it started there wasn't a stitch of wind. A guy that I work with was just below the mountain where it started and he said it was calm air, then  within five min was burning like crazy. I  dont know seems suspect to me. The investigator that sis all the explaining  wasn't even from this area. Like I said, the only rain we had was almost 2 1/2 weeks prior to the fire and there really wasn't any lightning activity then. We'll never know🤔

Quite common here, see lightening,  short time later hear the thunder, 3 days later see the smoke.

If it was a lightening strike as the cause there should be plenty of evidence.

I can understand it happening days after a strike but this was 2 1/2 weeks after any weather we might have had.  Where this started is heavily used by hikers. They have all trails in the area closed so no one can even go take a look other than forest service personnel or law enforcement. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CamKnouff said:

Quite common here, see lightening,  short time later hear the thunder, 3 days later see the smoke.

If it was a lightening strike as the cause there should be plenty of evidence.

image.png

For something like you talking about to happen once , twice , even 6 times certainly could be , but I think for it to happen 100 times   would seem highly unlikely , especially since there has been no rain in such a long time and all the fires are so evenly spread out 

• Like 1

Look, borders closed, we're not even letting the fires into Canada right now.....!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TBRider said:

Look, borders closed, we're not even letting the fires into Canada right now.....!

That is pretty amazing , no lightning strike fires started on the Canook side of the boarder , LOL 

We got another storm wondering around in the Gulf

There are 90 fires still  burning in the Mid West , maybe from lightning strikes weeks ago that smoldered , LOL , I can't prove it but  I really think 90% of the 90 fires were intentionally set 

You'll guys up in Canada must have different trees  why freak lightning without a rain storm hasn't started any fires up there ? 

We have 28 degrees out right now and the maples are bright red. Fall seems to be about 10 days or more ahead up here. This should kill the last of the mosquitoes. Hunting season Saturday!!! I love this time of year.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

I can understand it happening days after a strike but this was 2 1/2 weeks after any weather we might have had.  Where this started is heavily used by hikers. They have all trails in the area closed so no one can even go take a look other than forest service personnel or law enforcement. 

i would find this strange also  being the trails were closed to everyone except forestry service, and law enforcement,  .. the chances of a fire caused by lightening happening over two weeks with out any  weather ?  ... that's highly unlikely...even with heat lightening .. 

From what I have read There is no such thing as heat lightning.    It is lightning that is far away 

@Fishfiles it's actually real... I've experienced it area my area ...with,  not a storm to be seen.... it is rare but does happen on hot dry low humidity days ... it could be related to ball... lightening ... but I'd think not ... my father, and grandfather have 1st hand accounts of ball lighening .. is mostly related horizontal lightening ... those strikes are the most destructive .. 

mis·no·mer
/misˈnōmər/

noun
1) a wrong or inaccurate name or designation.

Heat lightning, also known as silent lightning, summer lightning, or dry lightning (mainly used in the American Southwest; not to be confused with dry thunderstorms, which are also often called dry lightning), is a misnomer[1] used for the faint flashes of lightning on the horizon or other clouds from distant thunderstorms that do not appear to have accompanying sounds of thunder.

The actual phenomenon that is sometimes called heat lightning is simply cloud-to-ground lightning that occurs very far away, with thunder that dissipates before it reaches the observer.[2] At night, it is possible to see the flashes of lightning from very far distances, up to 100 miles (160 kilometres), but the sound does not carry that far.[3] In Florida, this type of lightning is often seen over the water at night, the remnants of storms that formed during the day along a sea breeze front coming in from the opposite coast.

Heat lightning is not to be confused with electrically-induced luminosity actually generated at mesospheric altitudes above thunderstorm systems (and likewise visible at exceedingly great ranges), a phenomenon known as "sprites".

Heat lightning is lightning ,  just far away where you don't hear it , but see the flash in the sky 

Something different but similar

One time my son and I were fishing and there was a black cloud of weather heading our way , a water spout ( water tornado ) emerged from the cloud and traveled slowly across the clear blue sky , we watched it coming our way , we got the anchor up and started running , it touched down right in the little bay we were fishing in ,we were within a mile of it , could see the water and marsh grass flying htru the air , freaky thing 

• Like 1

thx, i just know i have seen it close up, with not a single cloud in the sky ...super hot windy and dry conditions maybe static build up ? . and just like thunder snow ... lightening during the winter time .. very strange... but has been recorded on video via the weather channel ... a rare heat lightening strike could explain the wild fires ... but heat lightening .. causing that would be a rare event ... but, it would explain a standing burning dry tree ... spreading the fire as the wind blows .. all in all... I'm with @Freedomflyer very strange to explain this with all the details .. posted ... anyways ... just hope the fires out y'all's way are contained soon .. the ball lightening my father , and grandfather saw on two defrent occasions happened on clear super hot dry days in a cut hay field .. no sound .. and the ball just hung in mid air and slowly shrunk .. and disappeared. 

• Like 1

cold in my area of KY, 50's maybe tonight, the 40's tomorrow night. Chilly for me.

on the side, a person or so, might be starting the fires. some of no conscience.

seems to be going around. 🤢 

i've heard of thunder snow before, and ball lightning.

What is the lightning called, that is is the sky, clouds, but stays in the clouds?, across the clouds, sometimes it makes noise, mostly just a light show.??

there is a flash in the horizon sometimes, but you can see Bolts, across the sky at others, like a root system of a plant, cept larger, much larger, and more zig-zags/forks, along the spark?

Edited by LedFTed

25 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

What is the lightning called, that is is the sky, clouds, but stays in the clouds?, across the clouds, sometimes it makes noise, mostly just a light show.??

cloud to could, (inter cloud lightening) or what some call forked lightening ??  ((<< i dont believe this to be true)) it's a discharge between from a positive region of one one cloud to another region of a negative cloud. 

• Like 1

well, i'd like to know what it is called, only wish i had picture's. positive lightning to negative friction, or v/s versa, between clouds seems true enough. an, for anybody across the canadian border, northern territory,  i hope i got the term Canook right.

from a back water, country boy, where the men, used dried corncobs in a burlap bag, to wipe with, an lived in on

plenty of hilly country. hillbilly's. there is some level ground, in some spots.

Edited by LedFTed
still trying

-2C at 6am sun still ain't up, fire going. Gotta get the yard ready for winter this weekend and start bringing in the wood....

• Like 2