Melatv

Weather

A older pic from the end of Lake Rd in Lacombe , low tide looking south out into Lake Ponchartrain on April 10 ,2020 

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Just a quick update for our area. I went up the Canyon that was on fire yesterday  To work on small job. It appears that the fire is out, however they still have firefighters staging field waiting to see if there are any areas that will kick up again. I didn't see any areas That looked like they were still burning. What I did see was heart wrenching. A canyon that was always so beautiful looks apocalyptic.  The fire was so random,  Foundations sticking up where houses were,  And houses in the middle of those destroyed untouched everything around them bunrt.

Just wondering how that can even happen, Areas were burnt all the way down to the highway.  Will try To post some pictures when I get a chance.

But for now, it is out it appears, but we are filling backup with smoke after the rain we had from the California fires.

thanks for the update @Freedomflyer i sure hate this got as bad as it did .. glad to hear it's under control now. 

• Like 1

last few days the temp has been dropping .... this morning 45 degrees ... this is the time of the season for wild fires to be a hazard around here especially .. after the kill frost .. many people will be having bond fires (left un attended) out doors ...notice went out a few weeks back ... no outdoor burning after the 13th of October ... no exceptions, and no burn permits will be issuesed. 

65 degrees this morning 

Talking about fires ----    My neighbor can be a retard sometimes , I turned the corner yesterday coming home and it is smoke city , he has not one but two large burns going on , 6 ft high and it was very  windy , 25 mph at least , his yard is covered in pine needles as he has at least a 100 pines on his property ,  I rode over there and he don't even have the hose pulled out and doubt he even has enough hose to reach the fires if he needed to   -----

• Sad 2

well... that's the same issue all over people with no experience with large fires, but rather just doing what they think is right / safe  ... thank goodness around here ... with all the farm land ... and crop fields .. most use their brains before burning out doors...  sadly it's not like that in the city .. so there is no outside burning ... unless grilling food ... or those deck fire pits .... i have five monster pines .... on the south  side of my house ... and burning dry pine needles ... is not a very smart idea .... especially with the wind blowing plus leaving the fire un attended ... if the hose won't  reach.. then a hand pump sprayer .. would do ... i would think... I've controled many a hay field fire with just a pump sprayer, and fire flapper .. i would have call the fire department ... maybe a good heavy fine .. would help change his mind ... 

weather has been nice .... warm.. during the day... with slight dipping during the over night hours... thankfully a long drying spell ....  they're are dead serious about not outside burning now ... I've been hearing .... radio traffic ... of people reporting outside fires .. and the local TWRA ... is on the look out for people burning brush piles ... when the kill frost hits they should be real busy .. i think this year might just be a bad year for wild fires ... sence we've had such a wet year ... with heavy plush growth... 

Fish; i cant best ya on that 'houses of the holy' picture you got., but i got a close 2nd. round about.

it was in the winter sunset. i think in 2009. a $100,oo dollar camera.

had a 110 that took good shots, was a film camera. those were the days. ya could take close ups or far shots., and they came out good.

you can barely make out misty, an the propane tank. the red line is my monitor, not the camera shot. i cant believe the red line is in the shot.

DSCN1970.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

@Freedomflyer i haven't been keeping up with whats going on out west ... last i heard from  @Derf40 was ... still a lot of smoke in his area ... , and thatvwas a while back, only thing i see now it a slight fire watch warning ... 

Friday 5;30AM  :  #6 named storm ( record in one year ) coming ashore in the next 12 hours , right now it is a cat 3 with 120mph winds with 150 mph gust , coming ashore just about the same spot as the last one , Pecan Island , La ---- here  in Lacombe we are projected to get 20-40 mph winds and are a 3 on the possible tornado scale ---- Sunday is suppose to be a nice day 

hate it for you Fish...crazy year!   gotta say it's been wierd with so many storms that my little south carolina coastal town has been so quiet...

usually I've had to run down and grab up my 88yr old mom and bring her up to ride out at least one storm.

as it was instead, I found myself down there visiting her and enjoying time out on the water.

hope all you down that way stay safe and have minimal damage/power outages etc.

• Like 2

i hear you bighanded ... it's been an off year here with all the flooding.... here we should getting colder weather but for now it's holding .. off.... but... as of late ... i see the rains are moving back in... with the possibility ... of severe weather. 

21 hours ago, Bighanded said:

hate it for you Fish...crazy year!   gotta say it's been wierd with so many storms that my little south carolina coastal town has been so quiet...

usually I've had to run down and grab up my 88yr old mom and bring her up to ride out at least one storm.

as it was instead, I found myself down there visiting her and enjoying time out on the water.

hope all you down that way stay safe and have minimal damage/power outages etc.

It has been a crazy storm year , heard last night there were 10 named storms to hit the USA this year  and thats a record , there were 6 named storms to hit Louisiana  and that is a record ---and the Hurricane Season  ain't over yet 

We have about 25+ wind chime on the patio and carport , I didn't take anything down , they have been playing a tune all night long , we really lucked out again , I'd guess 35mph is about the most  wind we seen on this one , the last two storms skirted right off our location , we caught the edge of the feeder bands ------  they are getting close 

• Like 1

well.... no severe weather ... but high winds  knocked down some trees took out the power for a few hours .... plus is, not as much flooding as forecasted ... the front.... has moved off to the northeast ... hopefully @Scotticus will get some more rain up his way to help with drought  issues. 

• Like 1

the trees have changed, least this year there is some color. usually the leaves just turn brown, then fall off. still not enough rain to burn. i'd thought i had too much rain for a while, years, but the cracks in the earth are saying a different story. got a pile of stuff to burn, hate it to turn out like Calafornifacation. a million or so acres. guess i'll wait till its safe to burn. least the smoke of California, will cool the earth.

global warming my arse. the rich, have the deepest carbon footprint. opp's i gotta go to the other forum, before i get to political.

whew...got a bit roughed up this evening..back end of the hurricane remnants blew through..high winds, hail, heavey rain..tornado warnings flying all over the map...in the end, just limbs and leaves..at least around the immediate house area that I can see with my torch in the dark.

Hope my trails are still clear..worked really hard the past week to get them nice..chain saw some big uns, brush cut all the small stuff that was hanging into the trails...long time friends came up for the weekend..The two ladies cruised through the woods in the golf cart, I handed my bud the keys to my old 1993 300, and I started earlier Saturday morning in preparation for them coming...with a bit of trepidation....my old 1979 CT90 has not been out of the garage since I think January.but might have been December...can't recall.

front tire was low, battery was low...quick pump, quick charge, tad of fresh fuel and about 12 kicks..and she came to life...we rode the trails off n on for a couple hours...and that little 41yr old bike just worked like it's supposed to...shut it off a couple times to do some other thing...but one kick and it'd start right back up...

When you've been on larger engines, it feels weird to just crank on the throttle of a little 90cc..and yet, the reality is, it scoots you just as quick.. I was hanging right in there with my bud on my 300..other than me being a bit more careful on some of the wet Fall leaves so that I didn't dump my butt...the little bike does everything I could want to do out there..just a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Saw a few tornado warnings a few counties below me earlier. We have been getting hammered with rain for atleast an hour now.

• Like 1

Cold over night, down to -4C, it's going to be a long winter.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chevymec said:

Saw a few tornado warnings a few counties below me earlier. We have been getting hammered with rain for atleast an hour now.

hope it didnt get too bad ... looks this front amped up as moved off to the east. 

Oct. is still warm enough i guess. was a time is was in snow, heck sept, was in snow. Indian summer came later for about 2 weeks, it was nice, then, back to snow.. an after the warmer weather in Oct. for 2 weeks snow an ice till the last week in Feb., it was a given.

Well, the earth has changed, despite political model's, an the science behind this, more earth tilt, and magnet poles shifting plays a part. [from the center of the earth].. OK, i'm off on a tangent. least i still like Queen of Hearts.

gotta throw 1 more in, just for kicks. California is some reasonable, for the weather., a million acre's of burning, near blot out the sun. smoke that travels, across much of the land, or sea. Well i said enough, maybe too much. i didnt say anything about honda, Oh Well, i'd rather have my honda 2000ES over any other atv brand. that covers that part, of the post. 🙂 

Edited by LedFTed

yeah...mid 70s today...still real cloudy and some light rain..but warm.

might have to put the boat on the lake Wednesday evening for at least an hour cruise...man I'm not ready for boating season to be over yet...

plans to drive the Blue Ridge this weekend to see the leaves up there..then by end of month they should have changed down here..and we'll do some boating to enjoy the Fall colors from the water view.

after that, time to winterize the ol gal...at least I can get my throttle thrills from my Hondas.

boy n his toys...

Nice fall weather here. Beautiful weekend. Daughter and I took a drive through Brown County here(hilly area that lots of tourists come to to look at leaves in the fall and shop at a little artsy and crafty community west of us).

Supposed to turn cold this weekend. Low down to the low 30s. Frost time and time to start blowing leaves/mulching leaves/cleaning gutters/tilling garden under/get ready for winter. Might cut down a couple more trees and split it before I give up on those projects for the year. got enough wood to get me through to Feb probably...what I am putting up now this year should be seasoned by then.

image.png

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 1:04 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

hopefully @Scotticus will get some more rain up his way to help with drought  issues. 

We only got  few light showers.  Still about 10 inches below normal rainfall for the year.  On the bright side the leaves are at peak colors.

fall.jpg

Edited by Scotticus
  • Like 4

Scott', Tried to copy and paste the thumbnail ^^^^ , wouldn't go thru for me