Melatv

Weather

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Let me guess , a snow snake like to get into the bed and  hide under the covers ? 

Wanna go camping in the snow to find out........🤣 🤣 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

looks like the south is in for the wet stuff yet again, zeta , is expected to pass over central Tn over the next 24 hours , fish, i hope y'all faired well, and i see @shadetree , and @jeepwm69 out in Arkansas, are also dealing with what looks like minor flooding (sure hope not) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looks like the south is in for the wet stuff yet again, zeta , is expected to pass over central Tn over the next 24 hours , fish, i hope y'all faired well, and i see @shadetree , and @jeepwm69 out in Arkansas, are also dealing with what looks like minor flooding (sure hope not) 

Steady rain, heavy at times here.

• Like 1

The storm has  started , some rain and some wind , people are going crazy , the grocery is packed , lines at the gas stations ----they say it is going to hit the coast at sunset , the eye going over New Orleans about 10 PM , so they eye should be over us at 12:00 midnight as it is moving @18 mph , with  90mph sustained winds , 115 gust  ----  going to be a night event 

31 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The storm has  started , some rain and some wind , people are going crazy , the grocery is packed , lines at the gas stations ----they say it is going to hit the coast at sunset , the eye going over New Orleans about 10 PM , so they eye should be over us at 12:00 midnight as it is moving @18 mph , with  90mph sustained winds , 115 gust  ----  going to be a night event 

Might be a good time to go camping in the snow......!

Stay safe bro....😋

• Like 1

Changed the channel for the storm coverage , this channel has the storm about 3 hours sooner to me  than the other channel , the speed of travel increased to 25mph , 105 sustained winds , 122 gust and could soon be upgraded a Cat3 storm  ---- my house should get the middle / eye for 8:15 

• Like 2

I'll check chat around then to see how things are going. Best of luck to you Fish. Sharpen them chains...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Steady rain, heavy at times here.

same here, just hope there's not a cold front moving after this.. thank goodness the storm shelter pump is hooked up. 

@TBRider i can't see fish going camping in the snow... if you could pull that off, derf might have some ocean front property very soon... lol 

• Like 2

Here's hoping things aren't as bad as predicted, these storms are so unpredictable.....prayers your way fish...

• Like 1

i recall one of the bad storms you were off line for (i think) a couple days ..  so if you go off line keep the cell phone charged, might even charge up that ipad you have, then we could keep a check on y'all, and the weather down your way .. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the prayers , I remember that storm , lights have flickered quite  a few times , DirecTV going on and off , they are already reported how many thousands out of power ----  phones , ipad , and 10  Ryobi batteries charged , filled the tubs with water , if the electricity goes out , the wife will empty the well holding tank in no time , so if you got a tub of water and a bucket you can flush the toilets -----  starting to really blow now , I'd guess 35+ 

• Like 3

I have been thru a lot of hurricanes > This is the craziest one I ever been thru >  the winds are  steady building and it is still on a direct track to put the eye over our house >>> when I was a kid and we lived in New Orleans ,  Hurricane Betsy went right over our house , I remember going outside with my Dad when the winds suddenly stopped and looking up at the funnel in the dead calm , then the winds started back the other way and that was a powerful hurricane  -----  

• Like 5

Hi: Fish -- lock your generator down -- stand by with a gun LOL -- stay safe my friend and your wife.

• Like 3

Just now, Melatv said:

Hi: Fish -- lock your generator down -- stand by with a gun LOL -- stay safe my friend and your wife.

Mel , I hope I know the difference between a generator and a lawn mower engine running , if you catch my drift of a fish story that has been told , LOL

Was just telling the wife we need to get a automatic stand by generator set , as the lights are flickering as I type 

• Like 1

Yes don't fall for the lawnmower one LOL  --  those auto gen's are costly for all the times one may need it.

• Like 1

might need to pull one of my gennies out before this morning is done..these ol mid-lands trees don't take as kindly to this bluster..have heard several cracks this morning..so at least some large limbs coming down..we'll see later when i have time to ride out back.

I had thought about, and watched a good friend, do the whole home genset thing..he likes the peace of mind, but he's actually used it i think once in the past 10 years..

honestly, I've only pressed a small gen into service twice in the same time frame..but knowing i can keep the freezer going..that's worth the spend.

and we do get a decent amount of use out of a genny as we do some off-grid camping several times a year (non covid years)..the wife is  a rock hound...so gems, fossils, etc..dragging me out to God knows where so she and her club can dig around in the dirt...I usually get a nice Honda trail 90 ride out of the trip though...

this weekend is an example..we'll be offgrid..so power will come from a lil honda eu2000..enough to run the microwave, TV etc...don't need air conditioning this time of year..else I'd have to take the larger genny..which still is only a 4700 (less when running on propane) but enough to turn over the HVAC...both are good to have in-case and are small enough to sip the fuel...unlike a big house rig.

• Like 1

Dad picked up a standby generator a few years ago. In true Dad fashion, it's still sitting in the garage, not hooked up.

After ice storm 94, and then hurricane Elvis, he decided it was worth getting one, but said he's more worried about man made disasters cutting power, like riots/melee.  In a time like that, who knows when the power would be back on?

I have a 6500W Honda generator and a transfer switch.  Since everything at my house is gas I can pretty much run business as usual except for the A/C.

Sister has that old ES3500 Honda that @retro rewired for me.   The electric start is exactly what she needed.   She'd have to run her fridges and freezers for her business in cycles on that, but at least she wouldn't lose all that food.

• Like 3

We survived Zeta.   They are saying it was a Cat 3 storm.   Winds over 111 mph.  The east winds came first and were stronger and longer.  The eye went right over us.  It was calm for over 30 minutes and then the wind switch to the west and went from 0 to 100 in one second.  I was outside and it was crazy.  Had to get in quick.  

they say 3-4 days for electricity for us.  My buddy in New Orleans  says they told him 7-10 days.  So many poles down.  Running a generator so pretty comfortable except for the Internet. On the phone only at the moment.  So many stories.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

hey Fish...good to hear from you on the other side of this!!..I think everyone was surprised at how it strengthened...it met up with the cold front here in the Carolinas...hit us with some 40-mid 50s winds...plenty of work for the power crews today....

• Like 1

glad to see your back, and okay, fish, i watched it for a while last night .... did y'all get any wind damage ? ,  we got just one side , about 35 mph winds, and hours of light rain, i don't think east tenn, was so lucky .. 

• Like 1

Wind damage for me was minimal.  branches  and limbs mostly Been burning all day since before sunrise.  Still got a lot to do.  A few decorations fell.  The wind mill threw a blade.  

cant say enough about going thru the eye.  Was so cool. Was my second time.  I went thru the eye of Betsy in the day time  as a kid.   I wish this would have been a day time event. When that west side edge came , it was the biggest gust of air I ever felt. 0 to 100mph  in one second. But it was total darkness except for a hand held q beam   I did learn my patio can handle a East wind better than a west wind.  Lots of trees on the east side. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1