Melatv

Weather

More snow again here this morning, got the replacement hose off the parts bike but got pulled away to work on the neighbors blower on his tractor. Hopefully I can get that swaped out and running again, I like plowing snow more than snowblowing....

• Like 1

from 61 over night down 40 this am, no precipitation in the forcast, maybe a few more days of drying out, before a dose of whatever comes next. 

• Like 1

SUpposed to be 65 here in Southern Indiana on Sunday. Yesterday was mid 50s, bit of a cold snap today to mid 40s....then I think it climbs to Sunday

Well I was hopeful that the week of sub freezing temps would knock back the skeeters this year.

I can throw that out the window.

Went out yesterday to install an injector on my buddy's 420 and the little bloodsuckers about carried me away.  I bet I killed 25-30 of them in 10 minutes, and probably got bitten 20 times. 

Abandoned that until this morning.  40 degrees so the skeeters left me alone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well I was hopeful that the week of sub freezing temps would knock back the skeeters this year.

Went out yesterday to install an injector on my buddy's 420 and the little bloodsuckers about carried me away.  I bet I killed 25-30 of them in 10 minutes, and probably got bitten 20 times. 

I haven't seen a skeeter in 6months I bet.

Was mid 60's here two days in a row, and with all the snow melt everything is soggy.  They were HORRIBLE yesterday afternoon late.

56 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

We found some el cheapo bug zappers at Aldi's two years in a row.  Initial opinion was ther were junk since to flaming insects fell to the ground after the mini lightning strike.  As a matter of fact they didn't make that all to pleasant zap sound either.  But, night after night they kill around 300 mosquitoes each.  They are very selective to what they seem to kill.  There's a cereal bowl on the bottom than twists off holding stunned moths for my Carolina Wrens to eat.  Thinking they were about 17 bucks.  I started out with three running but my lovely wife thought the best way to clean it was to bang it on the concrete.   Yeah, that knocked to dead bugs loose and destroyed the bulb too.  The next year saw them again and picked up two more as spares.  Since then one did go belly up.  Dunno why but my mosquitoes population is almost nil two years in a row.  

https://www.aldi.us/en/about-aldi/warranties-manuals/warranties-detail/sis/si/gardenline-outdoor-insect-killer-2/

Edited by 56Sierra
added link
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have yet to see a mosquito or a snake yet , I thought for sure we would see some snakes last weekend riding , maybe the freeze put the hurting on them 

haven't seen the 1st blood sucker or snake here, but the red wasp and yellow jackets are already out in numbers, climbed to 58 today, very nice day out, just starting to cloud up, i see up north a front devolved, so we might get a small amount of rain shouldn't be much at all. 

mostly in the 50's during the day, getting a bit warmer during the night, lows in the 30's. not warm enough for me. sure does beat the single digits.

47 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

We made it to 80 yesterday , same forecasted for Saturday and Sunday 

you get a sunburn yet?

Edited by LedFTed

17 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

you get a sunburn yet?

No sun block yet , but tee shirts , short pants , no socks and crocks are back in fashion 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

No sun block yet , but tee shirts , short pants , no socks and crocks are back in fashion 

Quit it.!! surly you jest. Whats sunblock, never bought any? 😀  I remember Hawaiian Tropic, Dark tanning oil.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

Quit it.!! surly you jest. Whats sunblock, never bought any? 😀  I remember Hawaiian Tropic, Dark tanning oil.

I am serious , we don't have a ground hog , we got a nutria , and he says winter is over 

SPF, or Sun Protection Factor,is a measure of how well a sunscreen will protect skin from UVB rays, the kind of radiation that causes sunburn, damages skin, and can contribute to skin cancer.

• If your skin would normally burn after 10 minutes in the sun, applying an SPF 15 sunscreen would allow you to stay in the sun without burning for approximately 150 minutes (a factor of 15 times longer). This is a rough estimate that depends on skin type, intensity of sunlight and amount of sunscreen used. SPF is actually a measure of protection from amount of UVB exposure and it is not meant to help you determine duration of exposure.

• For best protection, experts recommend using a minimum SPF sunscreen of 15, applying the proper amount (2mg/cm2 of skin, or about one ounce for full body coverage), and reapplying every 2 hours.

• Most people under-apply sunscreens, using ¼ to ½ the amount required. Using half the required amount of sunscreen only provides the square root of the SPF. So, a half application of an SPF 30 sunscreen only provides an effective SPF of 5.5!
  • The SPF (Sun Protection Factor) scale is not linear:

• SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays

• SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays

• SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays
  • So, one way of looking at this is that SPF 30 sunscreen only gives you 4% more protection than SPF 15 sunscreen.

• Like 2

I know what sunscreen is, just i have never used it much. had a few sunburns, mostly light, apple-cider vinegar takes the heat out., should ya get a burn.

Edited by LedFTed

-20C here this morning, supposed to warm up for a few days as a storm comes this way, sunny and nice but the wind coming from the north still has a bite to it....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

from 58 to a high of 63 over night, no rain in the forcast, looks to be a nice day coming,  maybe time to fire the grill up, as  grilling out in the winter is nice, but not the same. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Think there is still an old bottle of Banana Boat here! My sister used to use it.. not me 😮 

• Like 2

It was BEAUTIFUL today! Spent it outside the most I could. Tromped through the woods, put left over corn from deer season out, boys road the go cart. HVAC had been off all day and the windows open. Tomorrow should be the same with 60% chance of rain Monday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Think there is still an old bottle of Banana Boat here! My sister used to use it.. not me 😮 

i still got my Hawaiian tropic from 40 years ago, haha, never went rancid.  i dont know if it did have sunblock, though i think it had that kind.

between tonight and monday am; 3/4 to 3.5 inch's of rain.. its a bit sloppy on the top of the hill, in the side of the hill, where i went tonight, were spots ankle deep.

least i didnt fall. ;~}

Well,,, its sloppy on the top of the hill. just went out to pitch a few flakes of hay, and there was no where the ground was not wet, or wetter. rice paddy ground everywhere.

65 over night, still showing, on the weather station, 85% humidity, and the frogs are singing, i heard thunder late last night, but only had a few sprinkles here, still showing storms and rain off to the west, so we shall see what happens, looks to be a continuing wet season for the south. 

image.jpg