Melatv

Weather

Yea agree, I hear over 1 million without power down there.  I know fish has a generator but fuel is gonna be hard to get so prolly it won't be run anymore than necessary.....I'm sure when he can @Fishfiles will let us know the situation down there.

• Like 2

appreciate you guys providing the streams and updates.  Doesn't look like any actual weather for us Carolina folks...but it certainly will impact our gas supply as we are on the butt-end of the colonial..

I went out late Friday night after the traffic had calmed and filled up the diesel truck, and the work van along with my various 5 gal gas cans. Worst case, I can opt to work from home later in the week when the  gas pumps get bagged.

it was end of month, so I also made sure to pull the generators out and let them spin for a bit.  

if I was physically healthy and strong enough, i'd add my boat to "than navy" and head that way..but at this point I'd more likely wind up adding to the headcount of someone needing rescue myself.

sending our best and prayers for our honda buds in the path.

• Like 3

Talked to a friend this morning in Gulfport MS.  He said they had bad storms, tornado sirens going off all night, but still had power.  He hadn't been out to assess damage yet when I talked to him early this morning.

Hopefully FIsh is OK, conserving cell phone battery for important things.

I read last night that ALL of the power grid going into NOLA was down.  All those big steel towers carrying the high voltage lines.  That's not something that's going to be quick to fix.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I as well been watching the News of the storm down there -- it looks like a long wait before power will be restored to some people -- hope everyone gets back on their feet soon -- be safe

• Like 2

thankfully Ida has moved out of liousiana ..... TEMA (Tennessee Emergency Management Agency) . is headed down to help out, I'm not sure where the staging point will be just yet... MTEARS has been activated... for help with communications..... and the concern now is when this cold front will meat up.... this could make for a major severe weather out break, as this plays on. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

I'm in east/central Ohio and Thursday is supposed to be clear, sunny and 76 so the cold front will meet this current mess some where south and east of me.  Until then more rain and spotty Tstorms for me.

August used to be our dry month and we could go three, sometimes four weeks without mowing but since my Dad died in late 2014 it's been more like May or June rainfall all summer long which means a 150 mile round trip to go cut Mom's acre and a quarter every week.  I get to visit with Ma so that's a plus.  

• Like 2

just change the subject... just a tad.... and for what i believe is a valid reason... i would like to recommend this string be made a sticky... i have gained very valuable information ... from members in defrent areas, along with helpfull links / sites...and those members basically are the same as MTEARS ... right there with eyes on the weather, in there area..... we would not know exactly how things are if it wasn't for this fact, it also.... helps us keep in touch with members who might be in path of on coming weather situations what ever they might be.... from huricains to drought conditions severe weather, flooding, dangerous winter conditions, and forest fires..... etc etc. 

and a big thank you to melatv for starting this thread. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

just change the subject... just a tad.... and for what i believe is a valid reason... i would like to recommend this string be made a sticky... i have gained very valuable information ... from members in defrent areas, along with helpfull links / sites...and those members basically are the same as MTEARS ... right there with eyes on the weather, in there area..... we would not know exactly how things are if it wasn't for this fact, it also.... helps us keep in touch with members who might be in path of on coming weather situations what ever they might be.... from huricains to drought conditions severe weather, flooding, dangerous winter conditions, and forest fires..... etc etc. 

and a big thank you to melatv for starting this thread. 

@_Wilson_™ speaking of MTEARS, do you know of any site that points out how to get to the MTEARS repeaters from another part of the US?  I don't have a powerful enough home rig to get there but I COULD access a local repeater that is daisy-chained.  Very little chance that one around me is connected to MTEARS through some path, but I'm just curious if you know a site that has all that laid out?  I'm looking for it on the internet.

• Like 1

just to monitor weather forcast, etc ? rx only ? good question. I'll sure look into it. i bet @Derf40 would be great help with this one. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

just to monitor weather forcast, etc ? rx only ? good question. I'll sure look into it. 

I think I'll just use an internet based setup like Echolink.  If any of the repeaters are hooked into it then tx/rx can be done that way.  I'm going to play with it and see.

• Like 1

you don't have a repeater yourself, right ? but you can get the local repeater owner to request to be linked.... but a note ... MTEARS is only activated during disaster times / severe weather etc etc... it's not activated very often, and is only about spotting and information, not at all like a regular ham club tx/rx chat... 

https://wcares.org/repeater-network/mtears-frequencies/#:~:text=Regional Frequencies Repeater Name , 107.2 6 more rows

http://mtears.org/

Edited by _Wilson_™

14 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you don't have a repeater yourself, right ? but you can get the local repeater owner to request to be linked.... but a note ... MTEARS is only activated during disaster times / severe weather etc etc... it's not activated very often, and is only about spotting and information, not at all like a regular ham club tx/rx chat... 

https://wcares.org/repeater-network/mtears-frequencies/#:~:text=Regional Frequencies Repeater Name , 107.2 6 more rows

I don't have a personal repeater.  I just connected to one of the repeaters using EchoLink, and internet based rig.  And correct, MEARS is only activated as needed.

• Like 1

Just got a text from Fish. He said he hasn’t had cell service since 6 AM yesterday.  My text was the first he’s gotten in that time so I imagine service is spotty/delayed/iffy at best.

No phones, TV, electricity, internet, so they’ll be roughing it for sure, but at least they’re unharmed 

Said lots of destruction there so yall keep them in your prayers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Survived Ida :

The winds were pretty intense , at one point I was thinking to my self , this was the worst winds I ever been in and thought why didn't we leave  !!! The water got to the 10 ft mark by us , we had 2.5 foot to spare , highest level I ever seen since living here and my neighbor been here 40 + and says it was the highest ever for them --------------  been running a generator since Saturday at 4:45 AM ( that power tower that twisted up and fell into the Mississippi River fell before the storm even got bad , no more than  30 mph winds  , go figure that one ) , burning  10 gallons per day ,  had 50 gallons  to start and gave 10 gallons  to my neighbor with a generator with no gas , LOL , so tomorrow going to ride to Mississippi and try to get some more  ---------- I am glad we stood and rode it out -------- Lots of stories to tell and living  new stories  every day  ---- thanks to all , when my phone rebooted tonight I had a long list o text and  emails , it is rough with out a phone in a crisis 

• Like 9

Good to hear things went okay for you -- pace yourself cleaning up around 

• Like 1

Sun is out here again this morning. We had 24 hours of on and off drizzle and that was it. Probably didn’t get a half inch of rain during that time. 

As usual, I am completely amazed at the difference in the people living in the country in Louisiana and the people living in New Orleans. 

The countryfolk are taking care of each other and doing cleanup themselves, while those in the city are sitting on their butts screeching for someone to come help them.

• Like 4

Glad to hear you are ok Fish. Clean up isn't a real fun hobby but I know where you're coming from.

• Like 2

hey...good to hear from you Fish... I was honestly expecting it might be a couple more days of dark.

and yeah, Wilson, good point to retain (sticky) the weather thread.. I know it starts to make us look more like a zombie survival board, but there's so many great lessons to be learned and Honda ATV boys tend to be pretty self reliant...so plenty of experience to share.

• Like 3