Melatv

Weather

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Sierra Didn't you have a slicked up 4wd dodge at one time Grey or silver two tone paint ? 

My neighbor did.  I used it to bring the trailer home last year.  Bought the trailer before the Tundra was even built.  Man was I nervous about the truck actually coming to me.

• Like 2

Oh  okay, i just recall that dodge and camper, then when i saw the pic i was like i thought they had a dodge...... Lol...... Anyways ..... Oh yeah that's nice looking rig in the pic, being we're on the ATVH weather Channel, thanks to @Melatv something i noticed which i never have seen before is the noaa warnings...... I have never see a red flag warning this close in proximity to a major hurricane........ Very strange to see this happen, I'm also curious to what effect these two will have on each other.

image.jpg

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Oh  okay, i just recall that dodge and camper, then when i saw the pic i was like i thought they had a dodge...... Lol...... Anyways ..... Oh yeah that's nice looking rig in the pic, being we're on the ATVH weather Channel, thanks to @Melatv something i noticed which i never have seen before is the noaa warnings...... I have never see a red flag warning this close in proximity to a major hurricane........ Very strange to see this happen, I'm also curious to what effect these two will have on each other.

image.jpg

Red Flag warning?  The only one I can think of is on the beach when rip tides are present.  

Its a Fire watch, from what gather two days there was a small area  under  a heat advisory, but that's been canceled, i just hope what ever system (low or high pressure) doesn't cause ion to stall. 

https://www.weather.gov/

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

Red Flag

Maybe since it is very dry  , I have not heard anything , but would bet there are burn bands in effect  --- yesterday I filled a 55 gallon burn barrel and lit it up , there were  8 ft flames out the barrel and them pine needles and leaves were gone in a few minutes 

Hurricane Ian reached 155 mph winds , just short of being a Category 5 , it looks like it will make landfall a little more south that first predicted , now they have it going in at Fort Myers this afternoon ---- this is a bad storm 

• Like 1

Wow , the hurricane  Ian storm surge update has it at 16 ft and that is without the tide factor ---  

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe since it is very dry  , I have not heard anything , but would bet there are burn bands in effect 

Yes correct  fire wildfire conditions are right.

red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now, or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds, low relative humidity, and warm temperatures can
contribute to extreme fire behavior.

but what I'm talking about is low pressure OR high thats holding this heat windy dry and hot system in place, because correct me if I'm mistaken a hurricane is an extreme low pressure event ? And if this red lag warning is due to a pressure system holding the hot dry, and windy system place, what (if any) effect could it have on ion......could it be stalled out ??  because what there saying now is, if it does stall, the flooding WILL be much worse, so they are really wanting this monster to move on quickly. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

My fireman friend told me this morning that as far as he knows the entire state of Louisiana is under a burn band 

• Thanks 1

I don't know if I mentioned , it appears we lost a big water oak in the last couple of weeks , from talking with neighbors we are not the only onbes , there are at least 4 others in the neighborhood that died ---- my buddy said let it go , it might come back , but I doubt it , had some really big branches fall off so far ---- I think it might be lack of water , it has not rained much in the past month + 

bWMqj%8rQ9Wx5HJyQy8VGw.jpg

lVCy3SyoRyq3U8dUOH6ODw.jpg

• Thanks 1

the wife and I took a quick ride at lunch...just for perspective before we hopefully get some rain from Ian.  never been quite this dry.

the pond boats are usually wet except for their nose up on the bank. The creek (25-40ft across) is usually knee deep normal levels with great flow.

bank at berm.JPG

bendin creek.JPG

duckhouse.JPG

jonboat.JPG

paddleboat.JPG

the old root tree.JPG

• Like 3

that lawn looks really health and green, do you get you water from a well ? Or how far down do you think you'd have to dig to hit the water table ?? I'm thinking more like a blight being the only species being affected ?? and the same is happening to other trees of the same species ??  do y'all have any swamp white oaks, red oaks?? oak wilt fungus (Ceratocystis fagacearum) all three of those species (i believe) are affected by the oak wilt fungus, or so I've read......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that lawn looks really health and green, do you get you water from a well ? Or how far down do you think you'd have to dig to hit the water table ?? I'm thinking more like a blight being the only species being affected ?? and the same is happening to other trees of the same species ??  do y'all have any swamp white oaks, red oaks?? oak wilt fungus (Ceratocystis fagacearum) all three of those species (i believe) are affected by the oak wilt fungus, or so I've read......

I did  see a few pieces with some kind of fungi on it , I was wondering if that was after it died , or now think that might have been what killed it ---- what is blight , never heard of it ---- the grass does look good and it has not been artificially water -----  

• Like 1

If ? It is dry conditions i would think it would show in the lawn, and in not just one species of tree, least thats what happens here, droight condition show up everywhere crops, gardens, lawns, many types of trees, hay fields.... Etc, etc.

• Like 2

Lots of records are going to be broken  after this storm is all over , Fort Myers had almost 8 foot of water , the previous hurricane related high water was 3.5 ft for them   >>>  I seen video of Tampa Bay drained dry , the storm sucked all the water out like before a Tsunami >>>>  Cape Coral had right at 150 mph winds >>>>   20 inches of rain in spots and still counting  >>>> 2 million without power and it will be a long time for many till it is restored 

I was watching an interview of the Air Force Reserve pilot of the military storm chaser plane that went into the eye of Ian , I never realized that there are military  Air Force Hurricane Hunters and then civilian NOAA Hurricane Hunters ,  this guy Major Dunn of the Air force says he has been thru many hurricanes and this was by far the most violent  he was ever in , he said for 5 minutes of the flight while in the worst of it , no one on the plane said a word , it was the most up and down drops they ever went thru , he described it as a Disneyland Ride times 10 and when they landed , every hugged one another to have made it back to the ground 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Lots of records are going to be broken  after this storm is all over , Fort Myers had almost 8 foot of water , the previous hurricane related high water was 3.5 ft for them   >>>  I seen video of Tampa Bay drained dry , the storm sucked all the water out like before a Tsunami >>>>  Cape Coral had right at 150 mph winds >>>>   20 inches of rain in spots and still counting  >>>> 2 million without power and it will be a long time for many till it is restored 

I was watching an interview of the Air Force Reserve pilot of the military storm chaser plane that went into the eye of Ian , I never realized that there are military  Air Force Hurricane Hunters and then civilian NOAA Hurricane Hunters ,  this guy Major Dunn of the Air force says he has been thru many hurricanes and this was by far the most violent  he was ever in , he said for 5 minutes of the flight while in the worst of it , no one on the plane said a word , it was the most up and down drops they ever went thru , he described it as a Disneyland Ride times 10 and when they landed , every hugged one another to have made it back to the ground 

That's bad will take time to recover from that.

• Like 1

Your looking at it, (this thread) ....... It was a joke, led, mainly because you can get BETTER live weather reports from the members here then any weather station, i rank us up there close to NOAA. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

They used the fly a military version of the Lockheed Electra.  Short stubby wing and four huge paddle blade props turned by Allison turbines.  Now they use the C-130.  The one the wings fall off of.

• Like 1

Air Force Reconnaissance

The Air Force’s hurricane hunters are officially part of the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron based in Keesler Air Force Base near Biloxi, Mississippi. While some hurricane reconnaissance missions may be conducted from Keesler, this squadron regularly deploys all over the Western Hemisphere in order to scout hurricanes.

The squadron operates a fleet of 10 Lockheed WC-130 aircraft. It’s a C-130 Hercules transport with a few modifications to allow crews to perform their weather-specific missions. (Weather missions is what the "W" stands for in the U.S. military-aircraft nomenclature; the "C" indicates a cargo aircraft.) One of those 10 aircraft was part of the tour, sporting a proud “Hurricane Hunters” on the tail — the squadron’s nickname.

20190507_Hurrican-Hunter_JTGenter-35.jpg
JT GENTER/THE POINTS GUY

One of the weather-specific modifications can be seen if you look closely enough at the belly of the aircraft. A small dropsonde — an “expendable weather-reconnaissance device” — delivery tube extends out a few feet from the aircraft.