Melatv

Weather

brutal here in arkansas last night, froze every pipe at my cabin. no water until maybe weds ?. spent most of the day down there today, did not get water moving. wont be able to until maybe weds ?. for the record, it got to 3 here last night, i've never seen ( that i recall ? ) temps in arkansas EVER getting this cold in all my yrs living here.

• Sad 1

Glenn Campbell’s Wichita  Line Man comes to mind when I looked at this pic.

My friend’s son works as a lineman for Entergy out of Louisiana and they are loading up and heading to South Carolina to lend a hand. God bless them. 

47C360CB-0AF1-4EC3-8A7A-23964F8BAC70.jpeg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Glenn Campbell’s Wichita  Line Man comes to mind when I looked at this pic.

My friend’s son works as a lineman for Entergy out of Louisiana and they are loading up and heading to South Carolina to lend a hand. God bless them. 

47C360CB-0AF1-4EC3-8A7A-23964F8BAC70.jpeg

Remember those day was a lineman for years. Ice storms were the hardest to work cold hands & feet most of the day & night. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, riverc said:

Remember those day was a lineman for years. Ice storms were the hardest to work cold hands & feet most of the day & night. 

Wow , I can't  imagine  !!!  Thank you for your service , looks like a very dangerous job ...

We don't get a lot of that type of ice, that clings to our power lines and causes those kinds of problems and issues, on occasion but pretty rare. Most ice issues are on the roadways and having to drive defensively and deal with all the transplants that have moved in here and have no business being out on the roads. We are very fortunate with our power, I can't remember the last time we lost power, and it was only part of town, ended up being a car accident where someone ran into a substation and damaged it. 

We are sitting at 19, had a bit of a warm ip overnight, well on our way to our high of 30 for the day. Will be mid 30's for Christmas tomorrow with snow in the a.m.

Hope all of you guys have a safe weekend  especially if traveling,  remember the reas for the season. MERRY CHRISTMAS. 

• Like 3

Bet there's going to a lot of long time standing records this system will shatter... One should be how fast the temps dropped in such a short time in some areas... -75 for some of our members in the great white north.... plug cold!! this green teeth monster was more wide stretched then i thought I was.... 

• Like 1

Got most of this done yesterday at 14 degrees, with a windchill of 1

Supposed to be downright balmy today, going all the way to 28.

Still have a bit to do today.

If I’d had to use hand tools instead of M18, never would have gotten it done.

Doggo was in a crate in the heated den.  Even a heated dog house wouldn’t have been enough 

BB9ACCCF-4471-4536-B4FB-BC01BDE8D34E.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Bet there's going to a lot of long time standing records this system will shatter... One should be how fast the temps dropped in such a short time in some areas... -75 for some of our members in the great white north.... plug cold!! this green teeth monster was more wide stretched then i thought I was.... 

This is why Global Warming isn't used anymore.   Climate Change covers it all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The campground has been having problems keeping the water lines from freezing.  Mostly totally dropping the ball on scheduling times the water will be turned off and informing the dozen or so  campers that are here.  I filled my fresh water tank and drained the gray and black tanks on Thursday evening and by keeping an eye on the trickling faucet right outside I have been able to top off before dropping too low.  This morning I got up before dawn to find an 1/8" of ice over everything on my site.  The fish cleaning station is right behind our site and there are two cracks in the water lines spraying water into the wind.

20221225_064748.jpg

20221225_064800.jpg

20221225_064831.jpg

• Like 2

Merry Christmas Everyone. Sorry to hear of issues in your areas. We had a warm up over night, I thought I could hear water dripping, we leave our window cracked about 3-4 inches so was more prominent.  Wasn't as cool in the room as normal, checked temp we're sitting at 41°, 6° higher than predicted for the high today. Was supposed to be snowing and not a flake in sight. Wish I had a job where I could be wrong 85% of the time and keep it. Hope you guys stay safe and warm. 

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've warmed up to -9 and supposed to hit 4f. At least the wind quit roaring after 3 days.

• Like 2

It's climbed to 23 i hear you on that wind, Prov.... It's died down here as well..it's actually not that cold outside least after the shock went away.... Bout 5 mph is msx so far... Windchill is about 18 -+ going to be some hefty juice bills over this one.... 

• Like 1

It was 22 at 6:00 a.m it's now 41 the warm up has begun looks like mid 70's by Thursday.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, riverc said:

It was 22 at 6:00 a.m it's now 41 the warm up has begun looks like mid 70's by Thursday.

41 here too >>>>  sunburn weather , calm winds , what a change 

We are supposed to hit the 70's too....... sometime in May!

• Haha 4

It's still snowing here today but the three day blizzard is over now. Looks like about 20 inches blew in, been shoveling it off my stuff for most of the day. This one was gentle though they're usually much worse.

1 hour ago, PROV said:

We are supposed to hit the 70's too....... sometime in May!

By that time, I will be eating fresh vegetables from the garden and fishing the catfish spawn.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, riverc said:

By that time, I will be eating fresh vegetables from the garden and fishing the catfish spawn.

We are going to be back in the 70s come this  Wednesday 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hey guys !  checking in on the other side of the holiday weekend.. Back in the office today.  For us Carolina folks, the 10 degrees was a bit unusual. Kept the water running to avoid pipe breaks and we made it through.  Others we know weren't so fortunate.  I drain my camper water system, but also put a small heater in there to help. the boat (I/O)  has a bilge heater unit and of course the pump well house has a heater in there and it is well insulated.

we were without power for a couple hours Friday morning from that storm blowing through...tree down further down the rode took the line out...Fantastic power crew had it cleared in about 2.5 hrs.  With all the damage, I wasn't sure how fast they would get to it, so I already had the Big Buddy propane units up and running in the kitchen, where we like to sit and have our morning coffee...pulled the small honda eu2000 for no other reason than to be able to run my percolator (LOL)

but this was about the time when I usually give them a test run (every 6-8 weeks)  anyway..

The Charlotte area north of us...folks were screaming mad cause Duke did not announce that they had to do rolling blackouts to preserve their grid.  While it was intended to be 30 mins down, it cause more damage and some folks went for 36 hrs..starting Christmas eve morning.... totally blew up their Christmas plans and its the big local news story now.

So I count us blessed that we had heat, power, water , comfort throughout our weekend.

and yes, high 60s rolling in over the next few days....welcome to the South !  Freezing one day, boating on the lake by the weekend 

• Like 2

On 12/24/2022 at 8:13 AM, riverc said:

absolute heroes 

A big thanks to law enforcement, fire rescue services, rescue and emergancy services who put there lives on the line each and everyday and also  during these troubling weather events....

• Like 1