Melatv

Weather

58 minutes ago, riverc said:

We only got to low 50's yesterday,it's 41 now and be lucky to get 50 for the high today. We just over 100 miles from you this weather system must be stalled 

Yep the front  stalled out over central La. yesterday , the rain came thru for us last night around 9:00 pm , looks like it was a lot , everything is so soaked , going to take weeks for the water  to go down , it's 53 right now 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Oh , we having a cold spell , was beautiful at 75 yesterday , 55 right now before daylight and only 60 for a high today , brrrrrr !!! 

The poor trees are so messed up , everything was covered in spring pollen this weekend past , think they call that Indian Summer 

This reminds of playing poker one cold afternoon at the shop..... We had gathered to plan the cook out for the next sporting event (what ever that was) coming on Sunday .... Mike, brad, Tim, Carolyn, David, rum head, LJ Wilson, Dwayne, big Tracy, jay, beaver, Justin, Andy, buck, Carolyn's sister, white bean ->> me.... Anyways steak, lobster, cole slaw, roasting ears, loaded salad, deer steaks, wild game birds.... Etc etc... We're a few suggestions ..... I don't recall what we settled on.... Anyways...LJ had a hot hand at poker that night...he up and ask what  mini winter we were having... So heres a few of the names of mini winters... Here in TN... I think it was dogwood winter... But funny as this is... Those mini winters cause damage to early blooming trees....and plants.... 

Redbud Winter – Mid-March to early April, when the redbud trees bloom.

Dogwood Winter – Mid- to late April, when the dogwood trees bloom. Often a heavy frost falls in dogwood winter.
Blackberry Winter – Early to mid-May, when blackberries are in full bloom. In the Tennessee mountains, this often coincides with the last frost of spring, which can kill new plantings on the farm.
Whippoorwill Winter –Mid- to late May, when the whippoorwills can first be heard in the twilight of evenings and before dawn.
Cotton Britches Winter – Late May or early June, when the linsey-woolsey (linen and wool) pants worn in cold weather were put away and farmers changed to the light cotton pants of summer.

• Like 1

I’m up with a little one this morning listening to limbs snapping off and booming when they hit the ground.

Thus for no big ones appear to have fallen at my yard.  Hope this stuff melts off fast!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I’m up with a little one this morning listening to limbs snapping off and booming when they hit the ground.

Thus for no big ones appear to have fallen at my yard.  Hope this stuff melts off fast!

How is the power doing in your area?

4 minutes ago, riverc said:

How is the power doing in your area?

It’s flickered on and off a few times but I haven’t lost power yet. Internet is currently down so the kid is driving me crazy

• Like 2

HD .... Lost power for a while i believe night before last... I believe he's in Oklahoma ? Saw him in chat lastnight.. So i recon it's back on ? We haven't had any outs yet, but power is sketchy some places. 33.8° right now.... Still have lite rain coming down.

4 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

My giant crepe myrtles are losing a lot of limbs today.

5C5423C4-F13B-453F-909E-829323B95C80.jpeg

I don't miss those Ice storms anymore working or living in it. But I also do not like the long hot & humid summers in Louisiana.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

My giant crepe myrtles are losing a lot of limbs today.

5C5423C4-F13B-453F-909E-829323B95C80.jpeg

Oh Man... Does that look familure .... 1996..... You can still see broken tree tops from that year still hanging (widow makers) they still come down as the years pass... Mainly in the deep woods.... Not too many farmers walk there property fence lines.. But usally when live stock gets loose now it's storm related... Ether a strong summer storm that shakes them loose or they just come down... People have even been injured years after that epic storm took place.. So now not only do you look all around yourself for trip hazards, but also up for crush hazards... 

We're heading for 28 below tonight. Wind has been howling since yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WOW < I just seen on the news , that on Saturday they are  predicting record wind chills in Maine , ( minis )  -60 wind chill  >>>>>  we are projected for +60 for the high on Saturday  , I'll take the mosquitoes and snakes any day ----

what is the temperature point when it gets too cold to  survive , I mean , like you need a space suit for something 

• Haha 2

If you dress properly you would be surprised how much cold you can take. We rode snowmobiles 28 miles to my friends cabin in -24 to go fishing a few years ago. Just can't have exposed skin. When I was in high school and they closed because it was too cold we went downhill skiing. Slept in the back of my truck out on a lake in -30 a couple times fishing. I'm kinda over that now though.😄

• Like 4

Now look here.... I just would like to have a few days during the winter where's it really cold... For us it's about 0 or MAYBE -10...... The heck with -60!......

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PROV said:

If you dress properly you would be surprised how much cold you can take. We rode snowmobiles 28 miles to my friends cabin in -24 to go fishing a few years ago. Just can't have exposed skin. When I was in high school and they closed because it was too cold we went downhill skiing. Slept in the back of my truck out on a lake in -30 a couple times fishing. I'm kinda over that now though.😄

Me and the wife went snow skiing in Crested Butte one morning when the temps. were 30 below. Wind chills 70 below. We bought extra gear and went skiing. I almost got frost bite in my fingers.

• Like 4

I have several cold weather outfits, the most used one is a 20 year old Carhart one piece with the black arctic weight liner. 
‘Reason it lasted so long is it is only comfortable below 30 degrees and I lived in TN for a while.  

Problem I have is it is not waterproof, if I’m plowing while it is still snowing, the snow melts and it gets wet and cold after an hour or two.  

So I broke down a couple days ago and bought a Choko snowmobile jacket and bib pants.  
It’s light and comfortable in subzero weather.  It is way too warm for temps above freezing.  

My boots are Baffin’s and they are incredibly warm and comfortable.  
6+ hours in sub zero weather and feet are toasty warm.  Beats the heck out of my old Sorels. 

The biggest recommendation I have is a good balaclava that covers face, neck and upper chest.  
Without one, I can last an hour or two in subzero weather.  The better ones are found in motorcycle and snowmobile establishments.  
‘One can last all day dressed properly.  

They are predicting -60F windchill over the weekend.  Anxious to see how the new gear works out. 

Edited by Currently
  • Like 5

It's 40*F here this morning and I'm COLD.  I know,  not one degree of sympathy from any of you.😬🤣

• Haha 2