Melatv

Weather

9 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

@Fishfiles and I dodged some rain this morning.   Seems to have split and given us fairer weather at least for a while.   Suits me just fine since I had to take Roxie to the vet this morning to see if there's anything we can do about her hips.

Nothing like loading up two crippled old ladies in the pouring rain.

Made it out and back before the rains came back.  Roxie got a new lease on life with meds.  Call me and the vet selfish but her time hasn't come yet.  I just need to shove pills down her throat. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear Roxie got some help , @56Sierra

It has been an on/off drizzling rain all day here , 50 degrees right now ------  I went outside for about a hour and a half, changed antifreeze in my two trucks ---- 

Forecast has changed, potential temperature drop to -45 Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Then supposed to possibly be 40 degrees on Christmas day. 🤔 If those temps are reached it supposedly will be record lows for this time of year. I know it gets cold here and -45 is really not out of the norm, maybe I just don't  remember that it hasn't been this cold in December. Just won't open the bedroom window as far as we normally do.😁

• Haha 4

Plowed for about 2 hours this afternoon. Temp was -7 with a refreshing breeze to boot. Figured I better get it done since tomorrow might be -20. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Freedomflyer said:

Forecast has changed, potential temperature drop to -45 Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Then supposed to possibly be 40 degrees on Christmas day. 🤔 If those temps are reached it supposedly will be record lows for this time of year. I know it gets cold here and -45 is really not out of the norm, maybe I just don't  remember that it hasn't been this cold in December. Just won't open the bedroom window as far as we normally do.😁

I swear it's a different cold the farther north you get. I'm use to cold weather but was out picking up a car in Billings one year and that cold went through everything I had on. It was the opposite of wood heat absorbing through the layers, the best way I can describe it. 

My neighbors house caught on fire last night (neighbor is 2 1/2 miles away) and luckily everyone is fine but the only open roads is what us taxpayers opened. I seen some lights on top of the hill of a road that we didn't clear and needless to say the county finally opened (made trails) those roads now. I always keep an open road/path in case of emergencies and my neighbor now knows why. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

And it's a different cold from what Prov has. Ours is a dry cold not a lot of humidity here, but yet wonderfully brisk and piercing.

58 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

And it's a different cold from what Prov has. Ours is a dry cold not a lot of humidity here, but yet wonderfully brisk and piercing.

Yeah, we get some humidity when moisture moves up from the Gulf which really makes the cold go through you. We also get the Arctic clippers which are usually low humidity but very cold and windy. At 63 I finally learned not to fish in that weather. Exception to that is if we have a lake trout trip in Canada scheduled. Couple years ago we had -27 on our 28 mile snowmobile ride to my friends cabin. Never got above -10. Lowest we saw was -32 that trip. A bit chilly in the unheated outhouse.

On another note, very sad about the fire. I was on the fire department for 14 years and went to many of those. We always made sure we were sensitive to their feelings. On one it was -35 and 3a.m. When we got it out and I came out of the fire all my gear froze solid and couldn't even get my air mask off or move. Some guys picked me up like a log, slid me into the back of a cop car and unloaded me in the fire hall. It took them 30 minutes to hose me down before I could get my gear off.

IMG_20200110_155020090.jpg

• Like 2

We are going to just  miss setting  a record cold Christmas this year by one day , they calling for 23 on Friday night into Saturday morning  , which would have shattered the record ---  now they calling for 43 on Christmas morning , which is still  pretty cold down here , 43 for a high  will be the 4th coldest Christmas Day  ever in the Greater New Orleans Area ----

16 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

We are going to just  miss setting  a record cold Christmas this year by one day , they calling for 23 on Friday night into Saturday morning  , which would have shattered the record ---  now they calling for 43 on Christmas morning , which is still  pretty cold down here , 43 for a high  will be the 4th coldest Christmas Day  ever in the Greater New Orleans Area ----

My area they say 42 high that's not bad. I'm headed out the door now going deer hunting, not seeing many deer see more bears we have way to many for the acerage we have.

19 minutes ago, riverc said:

My area they say 42 high that's not bad. I'm headed out the door now going deer hunting, not seeing many deer see more bears we have way to many for the acerage we have.

Did you read the article about the dad and son that shot a bear by mistake and tried to conceal it  

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/news-breaker/agents-cite-two-men-and-a-juvenile-for-illegally-harvesting-a-black-bear-in-west-feliciana-parish/

Agents cite two men and a juvenile for illegally harvesting a black bear in West Feliciana Paris

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries enforcement agents cited two men and a juvenile on Nov. 21 for their alleged roles in the illegal shooting of a Louisiana Black Bear in West Feliciana Parish.

Agents cited Justin A. Olano, 24, of Livonia, and Robert J. Salts II, 41, of Pearl River, for intentional concealment of wildlife. Agents also cited Salts II for contributing to the delinquency of a minor and his son for taking a Louisiana Black Bear during a closed season.

Agents obtained evidence about the illegal shooting and dumping of a black bear west of St. Francisville near the Mississippi River. During the investigation, agents found a black bear skull in a creek near Cat Island Road and determined the bear was taken from Olano’s property.

Agents questioned Olano about the bear and learned that Salts II and his 15-year-old son were deer hunting on his property recently. Agents then questioned Salts II and his son and discovered that they were deer hunting on Olano’s property on Nov. 5 when Salts’ II son shot at a silhouette of an animal moving through the area they were hunting, which turned out to be a black bear. Salts II then made contact with Olano about the situation and they decided to load up the bear and dump it in the creek off Cat Island Road.

Hunters are advised to always identify their targets before pulling the trigger for any wildlife they may be hunting. Some Louisiana Black Bears are part of a long-term monitoring program that provides researchers with information on black bear populations, productivity and population viability in the state of Louisiana.

Taking a bear during a closed season and intentional concealment of wildlife brings a $900 to $950 fine and up to 120 days in jail for each offense. Contributing to the delinquency of a minor carries up to a $500 fine and six months in jail.

Olano and Salts II may also face civil restitution for the replacement value of the illegally taken black bear totaling $10,000.

• Like 1

Jeff, 

Renee says she wants you on her team with that kind of dedication. Wow! That must of been miserable. 

• Like 1

Going to 51 here today.  Starting tomorrow at 47 at Midnight tonight, and dropping to 9 tomorrow night, with mixed precip coming in.  High Friday is 19, and low Friday night is 4.  Christmas Eve going all the way up to 27, and then down to 10 that night.

Wife got the threenager one of those wooden swingset/ playset things for Christmas.  Guess who gets to put that together Friday and/or Saturday?

• Like 3

@Fish,  I heard about the guy shooting that bear. My old buddy told me some of those bears have tracking collars. It's getting depressing watching our deer herd go down like that and can do nothing about it legally. They also destroy ground blinds 2 weeks ago I set one up tried to hide it best I could, well they destroyed it. I get so angry I could just shoot them all but it's not worth the risk of getting caught.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Going to 51 here today.  Starting tomorrow at 47 at Midnight tonight, and dropping to 9 tomorrow night, with mixed precip coming in.  High Friday is 19, and low Friday night is 4.  Christmas Eve going all the way up to 27, and then down to 10 that night.

Wife got the threenager one of those wooden swingset/ playset things for Christmas.  Guess who gets to put that together Friday and/or Saturday?

You  gotta put it together outside ? ...... I heard it's  going  to be cold ...... Lol! And let me guess she never told you about ordering it ? To start with....  Sounds like a good time is a coming... 

The weather is really crazy , it is 51 this morning , we are going to be in the low 60s this evening , then late this evening and overnight it is going to drop hard and fast for two mornings in the freeze zone 

• Like 1

Colder than they predicted 🙄. Hmmm.... why doesn't that surprise me. With with all the technical equipment nowadays you'd think they'd get it right.  House is creaking,  things are contracting with the temp drop. Supposed to be 40 on Christmas.......we'll see. Still not the coldest I've felt. Was working in North Dakota, ambient temp was -64 with 40+ mph sustained wind. Windchill was -117+, not pleasant. Only had to be in it for short periods of time.

Coldest temp ever recorded in the lower 48 states was in Montana in 1954. About 100 miles from here, -70 at Roger's Pass. Was said it was so cold trees were exploding and shattering due to the water content in the sap. Has happened at various times around the U. S.

Don't think I'll  be doing a lot of running around today. I do have to go get my pickup today, diesel started gelling up lastnight on the way home from work, added 911 fuel additive and parked it in a friend's warm shop. Had a full tank of regular No. 2 diesel, 😕 when the cold hit, should have had 50/50 blend. First time that's happened to me in the 12 years I've had my truck.

Screenshot_20221222_061511_Google.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 4

. I know back before they thinned out diesel (or what they now call it now) gelling was a big problem but diesel back then was the real diesel fuel, not like  the thinned out mess they have now. Ff i thought more people out there would have an in closed garage ...... Maybe a standard add on due to the cold weather kind of like storm shelters are here, well..... Becoming more popular ..... And being tornado alley has been steadily / slowly moving east, and slightly expanding .... I don't mind severe weather like we're used to (well i like im used to) but being nado alley is getting closer.... Could very well change things in the future, and not for the best ...... 

Stay warm out there

It's 50 this am here cloudy wind from the south 2 - 11 mph

Noaa aviation

image.jpg

image.jpg

Most everyone does, I do as well. I went to work and temp dropped to - 27. Didn't have the right fuel mix in tank. Need to be running 50/50 or No.1, I hadn't driven my truck much first part of the week so not much room in tank for No.1 to top it off. Hopefully the fuel additive will help.

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 2

Ah..... I didn't think about your truck being shut down, with us it was tracotrs feeding cattle etc etc.... But we never shut them off during the winter being you didnt reeally have time becausenonce we started feeding we didnt stop till all done , and 90% of time stopping was judt climb down put of the cab  to open, and close gates... Sometimes flipping hay rings over the bales.... Then we updated with loaders, and flipped them into place with the loader..... After so long we had to move them to a less muddy area... Unless we roled the, round bsles put on hill sides.. Bunch of ways to skin that cat... Lol! All this time the engines were left running never below 1000 rpm ... Lower then that is hard on a diesel that's sucking cold air for compression.... 

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

You  gotta put it together outside ? ...... I heard it's  going  to be cold ...... Lol! And let me guess she never told you about ordering it ? To start with....  Sounds like a good time is a coming... 

No we've had it for awhile, I just couldn't put it together or the twerp would see it.

Yeah, gonna be a bit nipply!

• Haha 2

Had it For a while and your just now putting it together ?! ...lol! >>>(twerp) ... Never mind.... Lol! ..... Not going to comment...i don't know.... Maybe I'm having one of those blond moments haha!