Melatv

Weather

It's 47 and the sun is shining this morning looks like mid 70's for the high today. Will take a 4-wheeler ride today see if the bears are messing with my cameras in the woods.

• Like 3

Just been watching some light rain move in....really haven't any weather to speak... Least no drastic temp drops just yet.... I pulled up the active live lightening map.... Wow! Looks like it's hammering away in Louisanna..... ive yet to see anywhere where's it's been so localized... With as many strikes as being counted.....the strike counter on the site is even acting up.....

Watching the weather , 400 lightning strikes per minute , has not started raining yet --- Jazz Fest is bumming , Carlos Santana is playing today , it is also Cinco De Mayo 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Watching the weather , 400 lightning strikes per minute , has not started raining yet --- Jazz Fest is bumming , Carlos Santana is playing today , it is also Cinco De Mayo 

Rain is most likely headed your way. It started raining around 4:30 a.m. at my place . Rain guage has 1 3/4 inches. We in Baton Rouge  now looks like it's moving east.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, riverc said:

Rain is most likely headed your way. It started raining around 4:30 a.m. at my place . Rain guage has 1 3/4 inches. We in Baton Rouge  now looks like it's moving east.

We did get some rain last hour , we really needed it , it had been passing us by the last few times you'll got it ------ got the grass cut yesterday and the dust was brutal 

• Like 1

last night, heat lighting was in the southern sky, it made a good show.. i watch for an hour. then i went in side for about 4 minutes. next i knew it was over head, 1st time thats happened.

for about 45 minutes got another show. occasional orange bolts, overhead.  you did get a little bit of thunder with the show this time. the flashes got so consistent that for 6 or 7 minutes was a constant rumble of thunder. not as loud as regular thunder, but constant. it was like a very large bowlingball was rolling down a very large lane. it was something to witness.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

last night, heat lighting was in the southern sky, it made a good show.. i watch for an hour. then i went in side for about 4 minutes. next i knew it was over head, 1st time thats happened.

for about 45 minutes got another show. occasional orange bolts, overhead.  you did get a little bit of thunder with the show this time. the flashes got so consistent that for 6 or 7 minutes was a constant rumble of thunder. not as loud as regular thunder, but constant. it was like a very large bowlingball was rolling down a very large lane. it was something to witness.

Sounds like you got a show 'Ted ----- I have read that there is no such thing as heat lightning , the phenomena that people call  heat lightning is really regular lightning that is far away , guess if people would say " Far Away Lightning " it doesn't sounds as good , LOL 

Heat Lightning :

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-heat

• Like 1

I kinda had the samething going on here.... Yellow as could be.... What i did manage to see was a mix of horizontal , and vertical..... The static charge was very stronge.... Have three lighteing detectors .... Each one was alerting but alerting to lighteing strikes much further away... Then each detector was designed to pickup.... And as always we only see lightening like this when storms move in from the north....  The rain amount was 2.78 in ae very short period, but no severe weather..... It was one other storm that happened like this here, i must have been around 12, but i recall it very well.... Yellow lighening would fork across the sky, but you'd never hear the thunder for an extended time... And once it did rattle .... It seemed like the. Hit happened plus 25 miles away... The last storm (as spoken about here) was very very peaceful  and very very rare, i hope to witness this again, I'd like to have snapped some images, but lightening is best captured on video... Least i think so... 

• Like 1

durn; just when it gets a bit warm, another cold front happens. it is staying in the 70s, but in the mid 50s at night. And more rain!!

there is it seems alot of across sky lightning, when this happens, heat lightning.. regular lightning seem to be from cloud to earth. although i have read it can be from earth to cloud.

Edited by LedFTed

dont know why i was complaining, about a cold front moving in and lows of mid 50s,, one 47,, it could be -5 degrees. guess ya should take what ya can get.

28 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

dont know why i was complaining, about a cold front moving in and lows of mid 50s,, one 47,, it could be -5 degrees. guess ya should take what ya can get.

I'll take those morning temps we been in the 70's in the morning and muggy. We had a thunderstorm move through late afternoon gusty winds , downpour over 1/2 inch of rain and some bad cloud to ground lighting popping all around us was surprised we didn't lose electricity.

• Like 1

The weather has been great , mosquitos have not been bad , but the deer flies have been , yesterday evening right before dark , they came out with a vengeance , the wife went in and got some Bounce dryer sheets , those things work , rub it all over your clothes and skin , don't know about the on the skin thing , might kill you , who knows 

image.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The weather has been great , mosquitos have not been bad , but the deer flies have been , yesterday evening right before dark , they came out with a vengeance , the wife went in and got some Bounce dryer sheets , those things work , rub it all over your clothes and skin , don't know about the on the skin thing , might kill you , who knows 

image.png

Trick I learned to reduce Deer Flies.  Need:  any type of plastic jug i.e. 1/2 gallon milk jug.  Blue paint,  Tanglefoot and some type of rod to mount and elevate the sticky blue milk jug on your mower, atv whatever.   Paint the jug blue and apply the sticky Tanglefoot.   Works best if mounted close to your head but slightly higher.   Ride the yard at the edges of the trees nice and slow.  Have contests to see who catches the most Deer flies.  Fun for the entire family.  Some have used a hardhat but seems like a way to get the sticky stuff all over yourself. 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Trick I learned to reduce Deer Flies.  Need:  any type of plastic jug i.e. 1/2 gallon milk jug.  Blue paint,  Tanglefoot and some type of rod to mount and elevate the sticky blue milk jug on your mower, atv whatever.   Paint the jug blue and apply the sticky Tanglefoot.   Works best if mounted close to your head but slightly higher.   Ride the yard at the edges of the trees nice and slow.  Have contests to see who catches the most Deer flies.  Fun for the entire family.  Some have used a hardhat but seems like a way to get the sticky stuff all over yourself. 

A lot of people say to paint the underside roof of your patio blue , makes the deer flies think it is sky and they don't stay around ,most tarps on commercial fishing boats are white on top and sky blue underneath 

I have to get some more of the pyrethre ( I think that is the correct spelling  )  , I was getting some free every now and then , source dried up , they want over a $100 per gallon for the concentrate , only takes 2 OZ per gallon of water and once sprayed around it will last a couple of weeks as long as it don't rain  --- some have sprayers on their houses and a timer will give it a squirt every so often 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

The mosquitos are not bad around the house went in the woods Friday morning check on my cameras still have water in the sloughs and muddy in the bottoms. Man, the mosquitos were eating me up when I stopped to cut some bamboo poles for the garden couldn't wait to get out of the woods.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, riverc said:

The mosquitos are not bad around the house went in the woods Friday morning check on my cameras still have water in the sloughs and muddy in the bottoms. Man, the mosquitos were eating me up when I stopped to cut some bamboo poles for the garden couldn't wait to get out of the woods.

We been lucky , there are boucou mosquitos on the porch , hiding in boxes , buckets , shoes etc , but they seem to be  all males , which don't bite , cause none of them are biting ----

being we talking bugs , this thing landed in my forehead , I was quick and swatted and killed it before it bit me , could it be a red  warps ??

gEK%Jv22ShSthEbxaWz5fw.jpg

WDA4wb%qR1GqiwrjMCgctQ.jpg

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

We been lucky , there are boucou mosquitos on the porch , hiding in boxes , buckets , shoes etc , but they seem to be  all males , which don't bite , cause none of them are biting ----

being we talking bugs , this thing landed in my forehead , I was quick and swatted and killed it before it bit me , could it be a red  warps ??

gEK%Jv22ShSthEbxaWz5fw.jpg

WDA4wb%qR1GqiwrjMCgctQ.jpg

Those things grow to the size of a pterodactyl!! Watch out!! Our state bird in Minnesota is the mosquito and they came out with a vengeance the last two days.

• Like 2

skerters not so bad yet, ticks, another subject. all ready had three in the skin, an a few i could feel crawling in my shirt next to the skin.

last night 47, without chill factor, its i already 50. i dont adapt well to cold, time for the LJs.

Edited by LedFTed