Melatv

Weather

well; there is no heat in the basement, it 19f outside. though it is 57F, i draft is blowing on me. i got me hunting stuff on, the electric radiator on, and i still get a chill. cold buds aint helping me stay warm neither.  ;~}

There is a Christmas tree farm behind my house, and a large field.  The field is the basic home of about 20 deer.  They are all bedded down near the Christmas trees this morning.  26 degrees.  Too cold for them so far they aren't up.

It's a beautiful sunny but short day today so I need to go for a drive to the big city.  Two more days and then the days get longer.  And I start thinking about summer.

We had a little snow this year, but it's long gone, just some still on the mountain tops.

I haven't started up any of the trails, it's too cold out there for me.

But I'm going to see if a buddy will be taking his dogs out on the trails Saturday morning, if I can go along.  We'll see snow then at the higher elevations.

Another day to give thanks to God for being alive.  (Like every day).

dc

Edited by David13

1 hour ago, David13 said:

There is a Christmas tree farm behind my house, and a large field.  The field is the basic home of about 20 deer.  They are all bedded down near the Christmas trees this morning.  26 degrees.  Too cold for them so far they aren't up.

It's a beautiful sunny but short day today so I need to go for a drive to the big city.  Two more days and then the days get longer.  And I start thinking about summer.

We had a little snow this year, but it's long gone, just some still on the mountain tops.

I haven't started up any of the trails, it's too cold out there for me.

But I'm going to see if a buddy will be taking his dogs out on the trails Saturday morning, if I can go along.  We'll see snow then at the higher elevations.

Another day to give thanks to God for being alive.  (Like every day).

dc

It was 29 this morning when I climbed in blind at 6:20.Deer action was good from 7 till 8:30.No bucks though all does.Sure hope one of those bucks I'm watching on camera slips up and starts chasing a hot doe.

6 degree's this morning when I got up and about 19 now, with 3 inches of snow on all my ice

WEEeeeeeeee!!

just went and bought 500 lbs of rock salt?

I'd love to try to plow, but I know that would be pointless, as side hills and ice and gravity, I'll just end up sliding into a tree and getting something stuck or broken!

point of plowing would be to move snow, so SUNLIGHT can TRY and help melt ice,

as white snow, is a insulator and sun reflector, leaving snow on top of ice, just makes lce last longer!

It was 27F in my drive way at day light , it was 54F when I came in at dark , they calling for 36 in Lacombe tomorrow morning , I live on the edge  the woods ,  it is always 2 degrees colder than what they say for Lacombe and usually 5 degrees colder than Slidell which I think all the concrete keeps it a little warmer , so I am thinking 34 tomorrow morning , it was a blue jay day today , not a cloud in the sky , but they say we are not going to have much sun for about 3 days coming , the weekend forecast is not good , 60% rain Saturday and 40% Sunday 

We got a pattern break beginning today and lasting until Christmas day. It was -1 degree F last evening at 6 PM and it made it to +20 degrees today with upper level ridging moving in. Beginning this weekend through Wednesday is forecast to be above freezing during the day and only 20s at night. So this 5 day stretch will be a good time to work outdoors. T-shirt weather (40 degrees F) is forecast on Sunday, so a box of Miller High Life and an angry lil' chainsaw awaits...! 🙂

• Like 2

Yep mid 40's here in the MI thumb starting Saturday for 4-5 days.  Also be out whacking some wood to throw in my basement.  Almost chimney cleaning time also, will probably let the wood furnace run out one of those 40's days to clean it....

Time for the 450 to get to work again back in the woods, had a couple days to rest up....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, retro said:

We got a pattern break beginning today and lasting until Christmas day. It was -1 degree F last evening at 6 PM and it made it to +20 degrees today with upper level ridging moving in. Beginning this weekend through Wednesday is forecast to be above freezing during the day and only 20s at night. So this 5 day stretch will be a good time to work outdoors. T-shirt weather (40 degrees F) is forecast on Sunday, so a box of Miller High Life and an angry lil' chainsaw awaits...! 🙂

tee shirt 40F = yesterday day it got up in the 50s and I had tee shirt , long john top , over shirt and a jacket 

It is  a small world , I ate lunch at the local restaurant ( and it was good = lasagna ) but anyways , started talking with the guy sitting at the bar next to me about the weather and  he is from the peninsula , I was trying my hardest to pronounced   the name of your town to see how close he was , and I was butchering it now that I look at it spelled out ------  he didn't recognize it from my tries at it , after wards I thought all I had to do was use my phone , fill your post and show him the spelling of the  name of the town , I will most likely see him again as he said he was going to be in town for a while  , I took from what he was saying that  he was some kind of federal wildlife agent ,  the District head quarters and hatchery  is in Lacombe 1 mile from the restaurant 

• Like 1

Pelkie is the nearest village, pronounced the same as its spelled.

• Like 1

I think he meant Ojibwe.

When I was a kid in Michigan in the center of town there was an Ojibway Island.  Just a park in the middle of the town.

It was pronounced there as oh JIB way.  I always thought it to be an Indian name akin to Chippewa.

dc

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, David13 said:

It was pronounced there as oh JIB way.  I always thought it to be an Indian name akin to Chippewa.

Yep, thats exactly what it is. There are various regional tribes and bands of natives scattered throughout the Great Lakes areas in both US and Canada. They are inter-related species, each band adapted to their unique regional environment and natural resources. So Ojibwe is a unique human race, so to speak. The Chippewa tribes consist of several of the regional Ojibwe settlements. In this area where I live the Ojibwe adapted to the Gichigami (their title for Lac-Supérieur, aka, Lake Superior) eco-systems and settled along bay shores where they hunted and fished for their foods and trading goods. They had established trade routes between tribal settlements, some routes were by water, and many trails were by land. The famous North Country trail that stretches across almost the entire upper portion of the USA was established by the Ojibwe over time, as their peoples migrated and settled and small trade routes became interconnects to form the larger. That trail still exists today and a major section of it passes a few miles south of my shack. The Ojibwe were a hardy, happy, peaceful, intelligent and very creative peoples surrounded by unlimited abundance of natural resources. They were very skilled tool makers as well. They had it made in the shade.

• Like 1

We are suppose to be in the 50s here the next couple days with sun and little wind. I'm going to take advantage and get some of my outside stuff done before the holiday chaos. It might turn out to be a good night to start a fire and burn down the pit.

• Like 1

Man you better take advantage to those temps.Don't think they will stick around long lol.True winter has not arrived yet.

• Like 1

Yep upper 40's here next 4 days, out cutting wood, perfect weather for it.....

I am wood cutting today in a long sleeve shirt. Lovin' it! 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, retro said:

I am wood cutting today in a long sleeve shirt. Lovin' it! 🙂

What happen to the tee shirt .... 

It is nasty here , not cold @51F but the sun has never come out and constant light rain since 1:00 am -------- I  just got back from Walmart with the wife , stocking up for Christmas dinner and every day before , it was crazy in there , people are like roaches in a box of Popeye Chicken bones , fighting for pickin rights 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

It is nasty here , not cold @51F but the sun has never come out and constant light rain since 1:00 am -------- I  just got back from Walmart with the wife , stocking up for Christmas dinner and every day before , it was crazy in there , people are like roaches in a box of Popeye Chicken bones , fighting for pickin rights 

It's  cloudy at our place but no rain,weather man said last night most rain was going to be east of Baton Rouge.The little Walmart in New Roads was crazy Friday morning,wouldn't want to see what's it like today.

28 for a high here today and calling for mid 50's on Monday??
 and HOPE for once there really right, so my ice can melt

BUT also see there calling for some rains and temps dropping below freezing at night time

so might be get rid of this ice, and just get more NEW ice  in the near future! LOL

this is the problem with warm ups in winter time, instead of snow, you get rain that turns to ice!

i spent 2 winters at, Great Lakes Naval Center. it was a cold place. when i was riding horses in Ocala Florida, i spent two winters there. it was just as cold in a way. i had adapted to Florida temperature. 20F and below, was really freezing, and it was, also cold in the tack room where i stayed.

when i left the boot camp. i was in my 2nd year, more schooling, a windchill of -70. when i got to California, it was 70f. that kinda translates into 140f degrees. no matter where you are at, these temperature swings, not to mention the crazy weather, ya just cant adapt to it.. Al Gore causes this. E farts, and it changes the weather, across the planet. what a cow.. this aint the KY hunting forum is it.? best move over there.

I'm really surprised at how warm this winter has been so far the lowest temp we've seen around has been 21 degrees F , but I've got no complaints if it's a warmer then normal winter the real shocker.... Is my barometric gauge reading , it's been steady at this reading for five days straight, it's now 42 degrees F , with misty rain, and looks to be a very foggy couple days, it's going to make for some very tricky driving for the holiday travelers....i have an odd feeling January is going to be bad..... That gauge is just one (of a couple) it was given to me by jay.... Some of you remember the that story..... When i was wrenching at little Johnny's cycle shop ... He and i got to be real good friends, but very soon, he succumbed to very bad health issues hence .... Out of respect .... My 1st  handle was jay10..... I know fish recalls this story...... Anyways he was a super good fellas. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

It wasn't Sunday yet. 🙂 Suppose to be in the 40s today though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrbb said:

this is the problem with warm ups in winter time, instead of snow, you get rain that turns to ice!

Do you ever have a good day? The sky is not falling man.... its great to be alive, celebrate something today!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, retro said:

It wasn't Sunday yet. 🙂 Suppose to be in the 40s today though.

We are suppose to get to 56 today , 51 now @8:00C , I'm in a tee shirt and a short sleeve shirt and it is nice , except for the almost constant drizzling rain ----- my plans today ,  don't leave the carport/patio ,  eat a bunch of food , drink a bunch of beers , watch the Saints win , maybe a few shoots of Green Apple Crown  and kick all my buddie's butts in some pool , last week end I was on fire 

• Like 2