Melatv

Weather

Had an ice storm overnight here. Got at least 1/4 inch of ice.  I have a 4WD truck and am used to driving in the snow, but a coating of ice made for a scary drive to work.  I had all 4 wheels spinning going up a 1/2 mile long hill.  The scary part is trying to stop at the bottom.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Scotticus said:

Had an ice storm overnight here. Got at least 1/4 inch of ice.  I have a 4WD truck and am used to driving in the snow, but a coating of ice made for a scary drive to work.  I had all 4 wheels spinning going up a 1/2 mile long hill.  The scary part is trying to stop at the bottom.  

I have studded tires here, but you can get tire wires that work good on ice . nothing beats a set of tire chains tho.....lol

• Like 4

Awesome day here today, 3C all day then it started snowing a bit around supper time. Not sure if we are getting much snow, gotta finish workin on the plow....

• Like 3

Where do you wise guys and gals get your weather info?  I've been using the NOAA site and find a total lack of exaggeration refreshing.  Wife likes the weather channel but it almost a given they will overestimate the snowfall accumulation. 

6 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Where do you wise guys and gals get your weather info?  I've been using the NOAA site and find a total lack of exaggeration refreshing.  Wife likes the weather channel but it almost a given they will overestimate the snowfall accumulation. 

I use NOAA too. Every other weather guy looks at the same info and gives his own spin on it.  None of them are good past a day anyway. Usually you can look at the radar and decide for yourself.

On June 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

@56Sierra NOAA , too, plus local live MTEARS sky warn amature radio. but i get more better live reports from this this thread, about weather all over, nothing like getting reports from people who are there. 

On 1/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, shrade said:

14" inches of snow in about 16 hours, second largest amount of snow in a 24 hour period in Lincoln. Thank God very light winds, very little drifting. 400 AT got a work out. 19 degrees predicting 1-2' more tonight.IMG_2585.JPG19 degrees, looking for a high of 21

You might be within driving distance of Powersportsnation.  I've always thought it would be awesome just to see where they dump the stuff they don't try to sell.

I used to go to Lincoln on business.  I did inventory control for the company that has The Links at Lincoln.

Forgot to add my local small town non syndicated radio station has very accurate local weather.  July 29th 2012 at 10:00am their forecast for that afternoon was very strong storms with damaging winds.  NOAA upgraded their forecast to the same about 3 hours before the nasties hit.  It was a mess.  We were without power for 52 hours, others up to a week.  One guy I know just installed a propane genset and he told me he spent nearly a grand keeping his beer cold.

• Like 1

noaa is usually late on weather updates, here, I've heard MTEARS actually do the warnings before noaa, then noaa broadcast those... my go to is my own weather station, kind of gives me an idea of whats coming bar pressure, humidity, wind direction, and speed, but i also depend on radar close, to see whats coming in. ... also get reports from THP ... on road / weather conditions along with DOT, and online info drags up on the lower scale of information, but, having ham radio, and fire, ems, and emergency services live ... comes in real handy. along with 99.7 talk radio, local station in Nashville. both my big radios i have programed with FIPS 

https://www.weather.gov/pimar/FIPSCodes

I'm in somewhat of a radar black hole.  Anything below 6,500' AGL isn't seen.  Big badazz cumulonimbus clouds can't hide but often we have light rain with nary an echo on the radar. 

Yesterday morning it was 30 at daylight , tips of my finger were frozen while working , made it up to the 60s in the evening and cut some grass ------ this morning @ daylight it is 48 and going into the 70s for today and tomorrow 

• Like 1

-15C here this morning, so I spent a bit of time in the basement splitting up kindling for next year, I'll use a bit this year but the majority of it will be for next. I use a fair bit of cedar kindling in a winter, usually cut 2 trees down a year depending on size. I have a few eye'd up to be taken down soon. Might get a load today....

31 degrees this a.m. finally got a bit of good heavy wet snow,  only about 3" not hardly worth plowing but beats moving it with a shovel. Neighbors appreciate me running down the sidewalks in front of their houses,  at least it gets me on the machine. We haven't had hardly any snow this winter.  Our mountain snowpack is pretty low, About half of what we normally have this time of year. Makes us concerned for fires this summer.

20210130_081254.jpg

20210130_095456.jpg

20210130_095519.jpg

20210130_101948.jpg

• Like 4

well..... had a temp of 27 yesterday morning, with no snow freezing rain, calm and cold, now again for the warm up (51) and more rain coming in, but I'm okay with the rain, had a slight mishap loading the furness. so a couple days to let the hand get better works, along with the warmer temps. you guys loading those heavy loads, becareful .. also Bcs had a friend had a mishap with a snowblower .. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, jeepwm69 said:

You might be within driving distance of Powersportsnation.  I've always thought it would be awesome just to see where they dump the stuff they don't try to sell.

I used to go to Lincoln on business.  I did inventory control for the company that has The Links at Lincoln.

Jeep: Sorry it took me so long to reply. I think their in Norfolk, about 2 -1/2 hours north. Never even heard of them until joining the forum. 

The last time it snowed (accumulated) here was December 8, 2017. I know that because it’s the date on the pic below. We usually get a snow that lasts a day or 2 before melting about every 3-6 years. 

5BEB3A5E-B242-4051-8114-7D9D283152D6.jpeg

• Like 1

you weren't kidding about 1-4 inches  ... but that looks like a wet snow ?  the rain started falling here, and the temps are dropping, no telling what will be happening TM  morning, 

Raining here this morning  and 65 degrees at daylight , suppose to stop raining for 10:00 , calling for sunny and  temp  get up to 70s  ----  we lucked out on that last wave , just barely caught the tail end of it 

got 2.5 inches of snow a few days ago, melted off. then tonight supposed to get about three days of snow, no telling about inches. NOAA was more accurate before., some years ago.

when ya could follow weather patterns from 3 hr. to 5 or 6 days, ago to present, it was easier to figure out the weather. aint the same.

Well,, this has been a wet winter so far., still is, and may carry into spring., then a wet summer.

course, its been like that for the past few years.[near a decade], at least it feels like that to me. easier to find hay for the horses this year. maybe it will still be a bit dryer in the early summer. spit on one hand, wish on the other, see what comes true. ↗️↘️↗️↘️↗️↘️↙️↖️⬆️

had a temp drop of 60, to 32 over night with a slight dusting... looks like thats all for mid Tn... will old man winter ever really show up for the southern states ? it's yet to be seen. and you speek of hay, if it a wet yeah, then you might be looking at a mold issue with hay, yes even square bails ... been there seen it happen. best way is to turn those square bails up on the edge...in the field . (strings to the side) and let the sun dry them, a while and space them out when you stack them in the barn,  so the moisture can get out, and the stack vented  otherwise ... you might end up with a fire, or molded hay getting fed to live stock. 

• Like 2

-16C overnight, smoke rollin straight up out of all 3 chimneys, supposed to warm up with the storm coming, might get a foot of snow with the storm...

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:12 PM, 56Sierra said:

Forgot to add my local small town non syndicated radio station has very accurate local weather.  July 29th 2012 at 10:00am their forecast for that afternoon was very strong storms with damaging winds.  NOAA upgraded their forecast to the same about 3 hours before the nasties hit.  It was a mess.  We were without power for 52 hours, others up to a week.  One guy I know just installed a propane genset and he told me he spent nearly a grand keeping his beer cold.

hope he had more than a six. ;~}

Edited by LedFTed
grammer

3 hours ago, TBRider said:

-16C overnight, smoke rollin straight up out of all 3 chimneys, supposed to warm up with the storm coming, might get a foot of snow with the storm...

Yea it was pretty cold here this morning. We will get around 20-ish cm/s & some rain by Wed AM. 

• Like 2

we ended up with 4" of snow to deal with yesterday. Started dry and dusty, then got to 34 F. yesterday making it all wet and heavy. Forcast calls for 5 more inches on thursday then the cold will be here for a week. highs in the teens lows in the neg teens. Wilson you you may have been correct, we may have not seen the worst of winter yet!

• Like 1