Melatv

Weather

well, the hot dry weather has moved in, now it feels, like summer, a bit of a drastic turn from the mid 70's even with high humidity, thank goodness the corn crop has already made for this season, soybeans might suffer if this heat wave remains around. i haven't been reading up on the west lately, but have heard its been rough out that way. @Scotticus hope y'all water is still going good, yaw take care out there with this heat wave moving in, if your in its path. 

• Like 2

Heat wave is here now.  91 here today.  Forecast is low 90s all week which I consider extremely hot.  We had lots of rain until about 3 week ago.  It has been dry since.

• Like 2

it reached 95 here today, heat index wise, we're triple digits for the next three days then a 20% chance of rain which at 20% it never has, gardens have started burning up, well for those that actually raised one this season..... just makes me think about this coming winter, because last winter for us was mostly rain with mild temps. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hot as hades here.  Went and tried to blow up the beaver dam again Sunday afternoon.  My boom didn't breach the dam, so I had to finish the hole with a shovel.  Bout had a heatstroke again.

Guess I should be drinking water when I'm out there instead of beer......😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

it's almost 12 PM here .... and my weather system is reading 90 degrees, i don't think we saw temps like this last summer, and it's been a while since we've seen triple digits... some people across the nation / world might be used to this, but around here, not so much .... there have already been multiple medical calls for heat related issues, and this started just yesterday. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

it's heat plus age factor for me.

I can't take the heat like I did...oh...50 years ago (grin).

I just tend to move slower and not keep pushing it when I realize the heat stroke is coming on.

but our big issue right now is lack of rain.

pond is about 4 ft off bank, creek is soon to run near dry...which seems to have happened more this past 5 or so years...when the neighbors who have lived here their whole life say they hadn't known the creek to run dry in over 35 yrs. I know , well, I believe, part of it is when they installed city sewer lines out here..folks are still on well to get their water, but with sewer utility, they are basically displacing water to the city. Anyway...pond is still healthy, and it lets me take the brush cutter to the pond edge to clean it up..but a couple hours with that big Echo 42cc on my shoulder and I'm ready to take a break.

honestly, it's not hotter this year than in recent years past, it's just getting to me more.

• Like 4

I’ve gotten to that point.... just can’t handle the heat like I could back in my younger days, a dry heat isn’t so bad. But when moisture is mixed   with high temperatures. No i can’t handle but so much. 

• Like 1

well..... a heat advisory ... is in effect for us till 8 PM tonight..... this might be the day we hit triple digits, the corn crop here has made, but soybeans .... hard to tell whats going to happen, ive seen them pod up, and have nothing inside, but a spec of a bean, if these forcasted days of rain don't make it it's that just may happen again... 8:32 am, and already 87 degrees, i would imagine..in the big cities they might be having black, and brown outs because of this, i feel for those people who are homeless plus the elderly .... along with the people who have to be out in this, it's sure to take a tole... the heat index here is forcasted to be 109 .... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wojo said:

I’ve gotten to that point.... just can’t handle the heat like I could back in my younger days, a dry heat isn’t so bad. But when moisture is mixed   with high temperatures. No i can’t handle but so much. 

What part of the country are you in? Here in Eastern Arkansas it’s always super humid. Can’t walk out the door to my car without sweating. 

Get out in the woods where the Beaverdam is And there’s no air movement, it will get you pretty quick when you’re digging in the mud

I got in my "  black " Dodge yesterday that was parked in the sun and the thermometer said 96 , I couldn't hold the steering wheel for more than a couple of seconds at a time , took about 3 minutes to become holdable 

Were not so bad in Ohio.  Upper 80s to mid 90s.  The older I get the closer I stay to water, AC or a fan.  In my shop it stays fairly cool because of the shade from the trees but I still have two ceiling fans and a 12" oscillating fan right over and pointed at my workbench.   I need those to keep the skeeters from getting on a stable approach to land on me as well as the heat.  My facing north front porch stays nice and we eat most meals out here.  Have Central AC but don't use it favoring the cool the bedroom with a window unit instead.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

What part of the country are you in? Here in Eastern Arkansas it’s always super humid. Can’t walk out the door to my car without sweating. 

Get out in the woods where the Beaverdam is And there’s no air movement, it will get you pretty quick when you’re digging in the mud

im in the southeastern part of the country it gets super warm and sticky down around my stomping Ground !

27 minutes ago, Wojo said:

im in the southeastern part of the country it gets super warm and sticky down around my stomping Ground !

96 here in the Arkansas Delta today. Heat index is 105

• Like 1

Tornados ripped through my neck of the woods. 4 miles from my office building. 
only damage was a local rod and gun club rod getting blown off and a couple barns. 

• Like 2

It did not get that warm here jeepwm about 90 I don’t what the heat dex was sled I was checking out that weather link @_wilson_  tossed up what’s your location ? 

was humid an hot yesterday 94. today was a bit dryer. tomorrow 94 with heat warnings,  heat index 102.

when i was younger, we had temps of 102-105., about this time of year. near 50 years ago.

musta been caused by global warming. 🙂

We are in that evening thunder storm cycle , everyday this week thru the weekend we got storms predicted ---- yesterday was a bad one , but only rained for about an hour  but  3 hours of thunder and lightning ---------    living 3 miles from the shoreline of Lake Ponchartrain which is 24 miles across and 30+ miles wide , there are some bad storms out there that walk right up to the shoreline and get held off shore , so we can hear and see the show and not feel the effects , which is a good thing 

• Like 1

yep...folks just 30 mins north of me got hammered last night..we are dry as a bone... getting ready to  try a vacation run down to Fla heading out this Sunday... I'll be scooting down the East coast  and circling back up behind this lil Fred storm..so hopefully by the time set up the camper on Monday, the storm will be long north and maybe giving my home some needed watering.

580,000 without power in the Detroit area from yesterday's and last night's storms.  No tornado just heavy rain and winds...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

i saw the storms on radar.... i hope y'all have no fatalities, and not too much damage .. and, wow, that good size amount without power... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

580,000 without power in the Detroit area from yesterday's and last night's storms.  No tornado just heavy rain and winds...

Wow.  Sounds like the straight line winds aka "Hurricane Elvis" that hit Memphis 15 years ago or so.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wojo said:

It did not get that warm here jeepwm about 90 I don’t what the heat dex was sled I was checking out that weather link @_wilson_  tossed up what’s your location ? 

Dry as a popcorn fart here.  95 out there now with a HI of 106.

I knocked out the beaver dam at 7AM this morning so at least I don't have anything strenuous to do after work.

• Like 1

Need a "WOW" emoticon on here. 😮

The whole province i live in has like, 770,000 ppl in it! 

Heat wave is here for a few days, i havent put the a/c in yet, & being so late in the summer I am going to try & not put it in...thing weighs a ton

Edited by ATC4ever