Matt1969

2005 Foreman 500 ES very hard shift

I just bought a 05 foreman 500 for my kid. It’s the ES model. When up shifting is shifts harder then my old race car. 1st to 2nd about throws you off the back. Even letting off the throttle and shifting its still a very hard shift. I have no idea what oil is in it. I’m going to change with a wet clutch synthetic. I’m trying to get the clutch adjustment screw loose now. It’s froze up so I’m soaking in some penetrating oil.any other ideas to get it loose without pulling the cover? I’ve had atc and atvs my whole life and never felt one shift like this.my pioneer shifts hard but nowhere like this foreman. Is this at all normal or do I have a problem? 
thanks 

matt

gonna say you may as well pull the front cover, so you can get the adjuster bolt out of the cover to free it up, and while you have the front cover off, might be a good time to inspect/replace the friction disk and plates while your in there. and no..they are not suppose to shift hard like you are saying. i do not recall if there is a gasket on the cover ?, if not ?, use nothing but hondabond or yamabond !.

There's not a gasket on the ranchers of that vintage but I'm 99% sure there is on the foremans.  I've an 06 foreman ES and it doesn't shift hard at all.  While you're there, it would be a good time to grease the little gears and bearings the shift motor acts on and the clean the shift motor.  There's a really good write up by retro on the subject on this forum - pretty easy when the plastic stuff is out of the way.

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

Can confirm there is a gasket on the front cover for the 500 foreman of that vintage. Just replaced all of those in my quad.

You can remove the fan, stand the wheeler up on the rear rack, and get the front cover off with it standing up.  Don't even have to drain the oil that way.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

You can remove the fan, stand the wheeler up on the rear rack, and get the front cover off with it standing up.  Don't even have to drain the oil that way.

That worked well for me... you don't even need to remove the fan either, i just unbolted it with all the wiring/hoses still hooked up and just zip tied it as high in the frame as possible. It didn't take much to get the cover off. One thing I would suggest is to make sure you let the quad sit upright for a good bit to drain all the oil out of the cooler. and even then, when you unhook the cooler lines, it'd be good to have something to plug them.

I was able to get the quad on the back rack by myself, but i used a cherry picker/engine hoist. If you don't have a hoist or lift, you'll probably need another guy or two to help you get it upright.