jeepwm69

Air compressor project (wheelbarrow)

Have had this in the back of my truck for sever years. Tank sprung a leak.

Found a junked similar unit at my buddy’s shop, robbed the tanks off of it. 

Went to bolt stuff on today and of course nothing fits quite right, but I can work around that. 

First I have to get the pulley off this GX160 motor. It’s rusted on there. My 3 jaw puller is going to bend the pulley. Any other tricks to getting this thing off?

Next is the pump. The unloader valve spot on these tanks is on the opposite side of the pump. Can I flip the head around on the pump to move the inlet/ outlet to opposite sides? It looks to me like it would still work properly, but want to make sure.

DC0B8801-74D1-4822-A44E-5776B5BB52F1.jpeg

3E9329BE-1B8F-4264-B8FA-550FF15067F6.jpeg

3A457615-0C78-4593-8367-6AD90FC7DFB0.jpeg

31B85B1B-27FF-4AD9-AC22-A89CBBA2C6A6.jpeg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

First I have to get the pulley off this GX160 motor. It’s rusted on there. My 3 jaw puller is going to bend the pulley. Any other tricks to getting this thing off?

it looks like a taper lock pulley... if so, the pulley has to be pushed off the bushing (front part) are there any slits cut into the back side of the bushing slid into the pulley ? reference to to the pic.

image.jpg

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Have had this in the back of my truck for sever years. Tank sprung a leak.

Found a junked similar unit at my buddy’s shop, robbed the tanks off of it. 

Went to bolt stuff on today and of course nothing fits quite right, but I can work around that. 

Next is the pump. The unloader valve spot on these tanks is on the opposite side of the pump. Can I flip the head around on the pump to move the inlet/ outlet to opposite sides? It looks to me like it would still work properly, but want to make sure.

DC0B8801-74D1-4822-A44E-5776B5BB52F1.jpeg

3E9329BE-1B8F-4264-B8FA-550FF15067F6.jpeg

3A457615-0C78-4593-8367-6AD90FC7DFB0.jpeg

31B85B1B-27FF-4AD9-AC22-A89CBBA2C6A6.jpeg

It looks to me like the two  bolts in the pulley are sheared off.  Those Two bolts would have gone thru the two open holes of the pulley and held it together.   they were taken out and moved to the two threaded holes to use as push bolts. When they would have been tightened it would push the hub section of that pulley away from the pulley

Looks like the bolt pattern of that.head may be different. Wider apart on one side 

• Like 1

I agree with fish, the two bolts that are sheared off need to be drilled and tapped again or try and get them out.

I think I would buff the expose end of the shaft before trying to move the pulley hub over the rust 

I built some similar , took the motor and compressor and mounting plate  off of a wheel barrel style compressor and mounted it on a tank that was a  vertical tank and laid it over horizontal , it was been a good deal , I did have to relocated fittings in the tank by welding new fittings , they say you shouldn't weld to a tank but so what , I welded the legs and wheels onto it also ---- I need to pressure wash it for sure 

mibm7aeSRCKs5Nw5Qw%THg.jpg

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

It looks to me like the two  bolts in the pulley are sheared off.  Those Two bolts would have gone thru the two open holes of the pulley and held it together.   they were taken out and moved to the two threaded holes to use as push bolts. When they would have been tightened it would push the hub section of that pulley away from the pulley

Looks like the bolt pattern of that.head may be different. Wider apart on one side 

Yeah I removed the two bolts and tried to use them as push bolts and both of them sheared off.

It’s on there good. Guess I can drill those out and try some grade 8 pushers

those bolts you removed then tried to use as push bolts were threaded from top to bottom ? the pulley would push away from the hub... then, if the bushing (front part) has slits (on the back side next to shaft) .. they should release once the pulley is pushed off... then i would (yes) emery cloth sand the end of the exposed shaft ... i  don't see why THEN ? you couldn't use pullers on the hub, because the pulley helps lock the bushing in place. (keeps the set from sliding out of alinement) the key way keeps the set from spinning separate on the shaft. 

my PM to you was wrong... i now remember dealing with this type pulley set before, we have a silage screw auger set .... driven by a 3 phase motor, that has a taper set pulley, although .... it doesn't look exactly like that, but that's how i got they pulley off. minus the pullers. the hub just slid off, once i pushed the pulley off the hub. 

Edit: this is exactly how i did mine 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Yeah I ran a tap up into those holes, and then the bolts sheared off when I tried to push the pulley off

• Thanks 1

so they contacted the pulley ? then sheared ? ...is there a Allen set screw located on the hub ? it should be inline with the key way. 

I’ll try to check in the morning. Been working on the Foreman meter this afternoon 

• Thanks 1

Got a couple more pics of the pulley this morning.

Does appear to be the taper lock style.

You can see where I bottomed out those pusher bolts right before they sheared off....

GX pulley.JPG

GXpulley2.JPG

• Like 1

okay... those help alot! so, it is what i thought.... you could try... two cold chisels (one at 12 o'clock , and the other at 6 o'clock) maybe even four at 12,3,6, and 9 o'clock .... as for the twisted bolts... I'd leave them for now ... because, there still holding tension .... and later when the pulley backs off... just screw them out from the back side .... no need for drilling... and using an extractor ... you might apply some heat.... to the front of the pulley... i can't really tell how far away from the engine shaft seal the pulley is .... 

• Like 2

Might be my eyes.  Looks like the hub is cocked a bit.  One thing for sure it is as dry as !!!!   Aero-Kroil or such and keep soaking it. Can’t hurt.  

• Like 1

agreed on kroil.... i kinda see the pulley is closer to the hub on the left hand side, is that what you see, fish ? (left hand side) watch where the hub, and pulley, are closest if it is, that's the side i would try pushing / driving apart 1st. 

43 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

agreed on kroil.... i kinda see the pulley is closer to the hub on the left hand side, is that what you see, fish ? (left hand side) watch where the hub, and pulley, are closest if it is, that's the side i would try pushing / driving apart 1st. 

Looks that way to me , could be an optical illusion  -----    looks a little bit more out on one side than the other , it may have moved a bit when the bolts were tightened ----- a bearing splitter might work on that image.png

yeah .... then we both see the same ... lol ... with only two bolts pulling the pulley in, on the hub yes! that could be why... good catch! i bet jeep's father has a bearing splitter ..... 

• Like 1

Hi: The other 2 holes in the hub -- is there enough room to place nuts between the hub and pulley -- if so put bolts or threaded rod into the holes to the nuts -- tighten nuts against hub -- when tight hit the end of the bolts with a hammer then tighten nuts again -- also heat will help 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah .... then we both see the same ... lol ... with only two bolts pulling the pulley in, on the hub yes! that could be why... good catch! i bet jeep's father has a bearing splitter ..... 

I actually have one. Cheap pos from Amazon, but might be worth a try!

I’m liberally soaking in Pb Blaster now. Think I might try Melatv’s idea with some grade 8 bolts first. 

• Like 1

yea, i think Mel's idea beats cold chisels by far! i really couldn't tell if there was enough room between the hub, and pulley to slide a nuts in..... do you plan on cleaning this pulley set, and re using it, or shelving it, because i wouldn't scrap it. 

13 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yea, i think Mel's idea beats cold chisels by far! i really couldn't tell if there was enough room between the hub, and pulley to slide a nuts in..... do you plan on cleaning this pulley set, and re using it, or shelving it, because i wouldn't scrap it. 

Well the big cage that goes over the belt and pulley's won't come off without removing the pulley.  That cage isn't going to work with this new tank anyway, so I've thought about just cutting the cage off with my grinder LOL.

But yeah, I'll be reusing the pulley.  I already have the unloader valve and regulator plumbed into the tank.  Have to get the cage off the motor so I can bolt the motor to the plate (cage interferes with the motor and tank fit), and then I'm going to have to set the pump in place and drill new holes to mount the pump to the plate.

Major PITA, but hopefully won't end up costing my anything except for a few brass fittings I had to buy to account for different sized holes in the different tanks. 

• Like 1

I'm with TBRider ... i had to look at all those pics again to see what you were talking about (the cage) now i understand,  i should have asked long ago were you going with an electric / or defrent gas engine with a defrent diameter OD out put shaft ... so ... my bad there... lol! ..... i would do away with cage .... next issue would be those two twisted bolts.... i thought about those, (have an idea) but would like to know 1st what the plan is .... leave them ?? ... and put two more new bolts in that keep the hub, and pulley clamped together ... 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Yeah if I cut the cage off I'll just leave the two sheared bolts in place and replace the bolts that hold the hub and pulley together.

• Like 1