Wheeler

New Gas Can Holder.

unless you are talking about it not being in the very middle ?..either way bro...ITS STILL ON THE VERY BACK END !..LOL.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, shadetree said:

umm..how am i wrong ?, the pic i see it mounted, is on the rear bumper that was posted ^^^, is that not where the can is mounted ??. if its not ?, then please show where it is ?.

lol.. u said smack dab in the middle... it’s not.. it’s off to the left side! Bahahaha. U can still see the rear light too!!! Haha

• Like 1

looks pretty beefy to me .....I'd say it would handle a pretty good impact....  besides a good rider paying attention... doesn't let other riders get too close ... another fact is ... anyone who sees a gas can .... should use common sence ...(sadly thats a rare thing)  that's why the word caution is stamped on most gas cans .... plus the color red! lol! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looks pretty beefy to me .....I'd say it would handle a pretty good impact....  besides a good rider paying attention... doesn't let other riders get too close ... another fact is ... anyone who sees a gas can .... should use common sence ...(sadly thats a rare thing)  that's why the word caution is stamped on most gas cans .... plus the color red! lol! 

beauty thing is... I rarely (1%) ride with others.... not too worried about a rear end bump!!

• Like 1

you, and i think alike ... i gave up riding with some of  the guys i used ... just because they liked getting waisted and playing bumper cars ... i care about my Hondas .. so I'm not in for bashing them up on rides. that's just ignorant thinking to me...if mine gets damaged ... it will because i did it, or simple mechanical failure, I'll be d--med if anyone else.... causes it, besides that... the old classics are getting harder to find parts for... 

now loan me a Polaris, or cowinasocki....  it's on! just more scrap metal... and probobly a life saved ... from burning alive... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wheeler said:

beauty thing is... I rarely (1%) ride with others.... not too worried about a rear end bump!!

Spare fuel can holder looks great 

I would find a riding buddy , when you are by yourself things can go wrong fast , I seen a lot of stuff happen in the group that if alone it would have been bad , bike flip over on you , break a leg , fingers in the winch cable , get sick from medical issues or even over indulging 

• Like 2

I'd say over indulgences ...... would cause just about all those issues..along  with riding terrain, and skill.. except for medical / health issues....that's a whole other ball game... most of the deaths I've heard have been because of un experienced riders wanting to push the limits ... 

• Like 1

Ya I would like to ride with others, but when we go camping is when I do most of my riding. Ran outta gas once because I didn’t check the fuel level. Made it to another camp site where people gave me enough gas to make back. I ride with others in the fall hunting, but again even that’s rare.. years ago I was always out with others, but times/place where I now live have changed...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Ya I would like to ride with others, but when we go camping is when I do most of my riding. Ran outta gas once because I didn’t check the fuel level. Made it to another camp site where people gave me enough gas to make back. I ride with others in the fall hunting, but again even that’s rare.. years ago I was always out with others, but times/place where I now live have changed...

fish is right ^^^. i ride alone most times, but !!!. when i do ?, I ALWAYS TELL SOMEONE WHERE I AM GOING ?, AND WHEN TO EXPECT ME BACK ?. you just never know what will happen when out away from home !!. my luck always goes i go somewhere, AND NO CELL SERVICE !..LOL.

• Like 2

don't even mention cell service lol! it SUCKS here ....but i agree ... never leave home without someone knowing where your going. 

• Like 1

When your on a boat trip you should leave a float plan detailing where you are going , so it would be a ride plan on a atv , so they know where to look for the body  if you are not back by a certain time !!!  LOL or maybe not laughing ...... 

• Like 1

that depends on  how much land you have to ride on.... i don't go by the same old trails ... maybe i should write my social security number  on my leg ?? lol! lord knows when i would be located, or what's left of me.... lol! this threads going to have so many guys frightened to go riding... 1st the chance of an explosion ... health issues, then being in an  atv accident,.... with NO cell sevice ... equals .... don't ride a Polaris .... lol! 

• Haha 1

How tough is this implement paint?? This bed liner didn’t hold up as well as I intended..... that pic is only from 8 days in the bush.. seems good on the bumper & racks though...

image.jpg

• Like 3

it's probably  still going to rube bare spots in as the gas can moves around .... but i thought forsure that bed liner would have held up better ... I'd give a shot and see... how that implement paint last ... rubber under coating might be the way to go ? 

• Like 1

I agree that pretty much any coating will wear off in this situation.

https://www.mcmaster.com/stopper-bolts/

Just a few holes and fasteners on the back side.

I wouldn't actually buy from mcmaster price-wise but for reference.

Side benefit of rubber would be holding the tank in over big bumps if it is on the empty side

Edited by oh400ex
Mcmaster
  • Like 1

you could go one further with powder coating, wheeler, although ... i never had any dealings with it,  but i believe @Gooberdid his 300 wheels in green... you might get in touch with him... the next time he shows up.... whenever that will be .... 

Edit: I've used this in the past ... had pretty good results after it's cured.

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Wheeler said:

How tough is this implement paint?? This bed liner didn’t hold up as well as I intended..... that pic is only from 8 days in the bush.. seems good on the bumper & racks though...

image.jpg

what about some strips of rubber over them bars ---- Rustoleum appliance paint  is pretty durable 

• Like 1

In my Kolpin rear rack I bedlinered a board and bolted it to the base. Carries my gas, small cooler etc. I just give it a quick spray if it starts to wear.

• Like 2

I like this idea!! Small piece of painted plywood screwed down to the metal! 

thx 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the durability of powder coating but it’s probably going to be $100 to do that piece. Try that configuration for awhile to see if you really like it. Kolpin and Rotopax make atv fuel cans and mounts, but more $$$

• Like 2

@Wheeler i got too looking online and moose also makes rear gas can holder ... just not as beefy as your home built holder, i could use a setup like being i never ride (hardly ever) with someone behind me ... you get a good idea of the trail dangers from the the riders up front...  (think smart) 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Update... I’ve used the quad a lot now with the holder & gas can in there. Looks like the tabs I welded on for the u-bolts need to be thicker or re-enforced. The keep bending which will cause the weld to eventually break.... other than that it’s a great unit!

• Like 1

first the gas can brackets ... now the clutch.... when it rains it pours ... just be glad you don't have fire ants ... lol 

• Haha 1