Louis

Honda rancher trx420fm won't run

Hey guys, I'm having an issue. My 07 honda rancher trx420fm 4x4 will turn over but not start. It is getting fuel and spark but won't run. I tried a little ether and itll run for just a second but that's it. Any ideas?

If it fired with ether you're not getting fuel, or rather not getting ENOUGH fuel.

Run a jumper wire from battery + to the red coil wire.  See if it starts.  That bypasses a lot of the sensors in crap on the 420's

• Like 2

I actually just tried that right before posting and it still wouldn't run. I have another fuel injector ordered but I soaked the old one and plugged it back in but before I installed it I tried starting it and fuel sprays out good

16 hours ago, Louis said:

I actually just tried that right before posting and it still wouldn't run. I have another fuel injector ordered but I soaked the old one and plugged it back in but before I installed it I tried starting it and fuel sprays out good

Sounds like a fuel problem for sure then.  How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter?

Not long at all. It has brand new fuel pump and filter but it isn't OEM. You think that's the problem? Maybe it isnt giving it enough pressure? Thing is, it is getting fuel so you think it would atleast try to run at first 

Edited by Louis

Yeah I would swap an OEM pump on there.  I don't use any china parts on these newer machines.  They're finicky about parts.

I buy used OEM before I buy new aftermarket. 

• Like 1

Ok gotcha, do you have any other ideas before doing that?

if it hits off starting fluid ?, but not off the reg fuel ?, then this is a fuel delivery issue. 420's are bad about the fuel pumps going out. just because you see some fuel coming out of the injector ?..DOES NOT MEAN IT HAS ENOUGH FUEL PRESSURE !.

• Like 2

I was thinking that also but wasn't sure because it is getting fuel and I was thinking it would atleast try to run. I'll replace that and go from there

7 minutes ago, Louis said:

I was thinking that also but wasn't sure because it is getting fuel and I was thinking it would atleast try to run. I'll replace that and go from there

i'll bet ya a dollar, once you replace the fuel pump, maybe clean or replace the injector ?, it will fire right up..bet ???..lol.

• Like 1

and for the record ?, those pumps have a fuel filter in the inside bottom of them, they clog up alot.

• Like 1

I have a 2012 420 that would crank but no start. Replaced the fuel pump and filter with Honda parts and still won't start. Has compression, spark, fuel to the injector, fuel spraying from injector when tested out of the machine. Am I looking for a relay or something else that's causing this. thanks 

16 minutes ago, hfd59 said:

I have a 2012 420 that would crank but no start. Replaced the fuel pump and filter with Honda parts and still won't start. Has compression, spark, fuel to the injector, fuel spraying from injector when tested out of the machine. Am I looking for a relay or something else that's causing this. thanks 

please start your own thread in the utility section.

On September 8, 2020 at 2:04 PM, Misterclean said:

Does anyone know what the solution was? I have two 420's and want to know.

id like to know an update on this myself. 

On 9/12/2020 at 11:12 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

id like to know an update on this myself. 

Hi, sorry just now saw this. I ended up replacing the ecu and the fuel pump with an OEM replacement. FYI, never try using an aftermarket fuel pump. They do not supply enough pressure for it to run. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, shadetree said:

i'll bet ya a dollar, once you replace the fuel pump, maybe clean or replace the injector ?, it will fire right up..bet ???..lol.

Hi shadetree, just wanted to give an update. I did replace the fuel pump with a new OEM and it fired right up. Thank you very much for all the help and support

• Like 6

i was curious .... because @Misterclean had commented about a couple 420's  ... and was also asking ..

the thought of the filter in the pump was what i was thinking .. glad she's back up and running, and thank you for the update! 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, Louis said:

Hi shadetree, just wanted to give an update. I did replace the fuel pump with a new OEM and it fired right up. Thank you very much for all the help and support

ty for the update, now where's my dollar ??..rofl.

• Like 1

I have a 2007 Honda rancher and I let it sit for about a week or two. I wanted to go ride one day and it would turn over but not fully start. I have replaced the fuel pump with a new oem one and I have replaced the throttle body and everything that goes onto the throttle body and it still has the same problem. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the board.  Try shooting a shot of gas/ starting fluid in the intake while cranking, to see if you have a fuel delivery problem or if you lack spark.

Any issues with it running before now?

It will run off of starting fluid but nothing else. I have never had any issues with it. I bought it offline and I had it running for a long while until it just stopped. The dude I bought it from told me it had a few problems with water on the electrical but I haven’t had a problem with the atv itself until now

It will still not run and I have noticed that no lights on the gauge cluster are on. Like the neutral light and it also doesn’t register for reverse.

7 minutes ago, James said:

It will still not run and I have noticed that no lights on the gauge cluster are on. Like the neutral light and it also doesn’t register for reverse.

Hi James ,  you should have started a thread of your own , you still can , I am sure we can swop these couple of post to the new thread --- first thing I would do is check the fuses for power with a test light , then I would check electrical connection plugs for corrosion at the pins and sockets and check wiring for damaged spots from mice or melting 

• Like 2