my5sons

Winch feedback on VRX 35-S

you can not go wrong with a warn !. just make sure you get the KFI mounting plate, and KFI roller fairlead !. DO NOT USE A HAWSE FAIRLEAD ON ROPE LINES !!. you should get the pro vantage 3500-s warn winch though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, my5sons said:

I’ll look into that winch. 

it wont be cheap !!!..but it will out last you !..lol

1 hour ago, slowindown said:

I put the winch in this link on my my foreman. $119 with a coupon I found online. https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb-atvpowersport-12v-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-56259.html

Wow, for Harbor Freight, that thing looks pretty good.  I wonder how they hold up?  I know some people really hate on HF, but they have some *decent* tools and some lousy ones.  I'm looking at the reviews and this looks pretty good. 

I have A Terra 3500 on mine with the remote. I love it. Saved my butt couple times now. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, my5sons said:

Wow, for Harbor Freight, that thing looks pretty good.  I wonder how they hold up?  I know some people really hate on HF, but they have some *decent* tools and some lousy ones.  I'm looking at the reviews and this looks pretty good. 

I don't know about longevity.  I've only used it once.  But I had a venom or maybe it was a viper on my rancher for 15years (and I don't think they had been importing them from china for long when I got it) and it has held up well.  I had a terra 45 on my rhino and have a 4000 lb warn on my commander and they're good too.  I did have to replace some parts in the warn - the positive thing about that is that the parts were available.  But for $120 if you can find a coupon or $150 if you can't, it seemed worth giving it a shot.

I did make that lower shackle mount you see in the pics, in case I wanted to use a snatch block.  It's in this thread:

Edited by slowindown

Harbor Freight BadLands Winch can start an argument round these parts , LOL --- 

I ain't going to lie , I have bought one before on sale for $49.99 , it lasted a while , when I needed it was when it didn't work , in other words it broke while it was  parked , I think  me going under water with it shortened it's life  -----

Warn is one of the best names in winches for years , every winch I have had on a truck was Warn  -------  on my atvs I have 3 SuperWinchs and the rest are  Warns ,  SuperWinch is what I would recommend , 2 on my atv winches are SuperWinchs taken off my shrimp boat when I retired from shrimping and I would guess they are 20 years old and still going  , those winches made many cycles lifting the skimmer nets up and down , and are now on the atv and have been used quite a few times  , when you go in the commercial marine supply stores around here looking for a 12 volt cable winch , SuperWinch is what they sell ----- KFI is my favorite control solenoids 

• Like 1

Good news to hear.. I hope my Terra 3500 lasts as long as my Honda!

Edited by Wheeler

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Harbor Freight BadLands Winch can start an argument round these parts , LOL --- 

I ain't going to lie , I have bought one before on sale for $49.99 , it lasted a while , when I needed it was when it didn't work , in other words it broke while it was  parked , I think  me going under water with it shortened it's life  -----

I figured that when I posted.  LOL  But I wouldn't argue about it - don't have the passion about it.  Regardless, I wouldn't buy the harbor freight 2500 lb.  There's been a lot of problems with those.  What size did you have?

37 minutes ago, slowindown said:

I figured that when I posted.  LOL  But I wouldn't argue about it - don't have the passion about it.  Regardless, I wouldn't buy the harbor freight 2500 lb.  There's been a lot of problems with those.  What size did you have?

The 1500#  $ 49 special , the smallest one they sell 

On 8/7/2020 at 9:25 AM, my5sons said:

$539? Wow that's steep.  lol

like fish said..winch talk around these parts will be fighting words to some ?!..lol. you want to know it will work when you need it ?, or you gonna cross your fingers, say a few prayers before you push that button every time ?..there is a reason warn has been around for over a century ?..ITS NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE HIGH DOLLAR..THATS FOR SURE !. want the best ?..buy warn !, want to take the cheap way out ?, buy another brand name. which ever brand you buy besides a warn ?, just do us all a favor..1-10 yrs down the road ?, come back and tell us how many times IT DID NOT WORK WHEN YOU WENT TO USE IT ??!!..ROFL.

and for the record ?, you can put a pro vantage 2500-s warn winch on this 700, just have a snatch block with ya, it will double the pulling power, and yank that 700 out of anything it gets stuck in.

• Like 3

@shadetree I know ur a Warn guy, but ur not a fan of Superwinch at all? I’ve known two guys with Warns that had issues. Can even happen to a Honda! !

16 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

@shadetree I know ur a Warn guy, but ur not a fan of Superwinch at all? I’ve known two guys with Warns that had issues. Can even happen to a Honda! !

super winch has big issues...one being their contact switches die alot !. don't believe me ?, read their reviews all over amazon !..lol. personally . i've owned nothing but warn...and to this day..not one warn winch as failed on me ??!. more than likely ?..its because i dont take my toys into lakes, rivers, ponds, deep mud holes where all this crap will ruin it ??!. treat anything right ?, and it will last forever..abuse it ?, well..PONY UP !.

• Like 1

Ya I don’t do the mud/river/lake thing either. So I would expect my stuff including winch to last. Heck my quad is more of a garage queen lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

super winch has big issues...one being their contact switches die alot !. don't believe me ?, read their reviews all over amazon !..lol. personally . i've owned nothing but warn...and to this day..not one warn winch as failed on me ??!. more than likely ?..its because i dont take my toys into lakes, rivers, ponds, deep mud holes where all this crap will ruin it ??!. treat anything right ?, and it will last forever..abuse it ?, well..PONY UP !.

No disrespect intended to WARN , but , I bet I have use my SuperWinch more on one busy weekend , in extreme conditions and  pushing it to the limits   > than your WARN winch got used in its entire  life   ---   LOL  

• Haha 1