SlammedRanger

400ex stroker (440ex) build thread

20% more tire contact with the ground would solve your problem right. Gearing high to calm violent wheelspin is a bandaid. Could you race competitively with 20% larger tires on the back? Or would the extra tire weight kill your combination? Hope you get it dialed in soon, summer time has come!

Well heres the thing. I am riding in a back yard with grass. So i dont honestly know much until i get it on a track with just dirt. But i do know i have never done a 360 on the grass before lol. I do have a set of 20s for trail riding and woods racing. Those tires will have no problem hooking on anything. They even hooked up good on sand. These little 18s are mx tires so they pretty much hook no where but dirt. Preferrably ripped dirt even. I just dont want to jump to a full tire change being it will kinda throw off all my "seat of the pants tuning".

• Like 2

Just so you know a 14/36 (2.57)is dang near the same ratio as a 15/39 you want to lower the ratio to help eliminate wheel spin and raise the top end  speed a 15/39 (2.6) will not do that. I would leave the 36 and move up to a 15 front this will give you a 2.4 final ratio. I.oersonally run a 16/36, but we run totally different styles.

By the way. Here's some eye candy for you 😂😂

received_2937528929676821.jpeg

• Like 1

I cant run a 15/36. I can do a 15/37. But unless i put a "half link" in the chain will never tighten. The +1 1/4 swing arm kinda threw off my chain length options.

4 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

I cant run a 15/36. I can do a 15/37. But unless i put a "half link" in the chain will never tighten. The +1 1/4 swing arm kinda threw off my chain length options.

Have you tried? That length is nothing more than a stock 450r... try the 37 then

2 hours ago, TRX2FiveO said:

Have you tried? That length is nothing more than a stock 450r... try the 37 then

I havent tried. But so far what i have learned is i have to run all even or all odd numbers. When i had my 13 tooth front i could run a 37-39-41

My 14 tooth i could run a 36-38-40. So if the trend continues which i would imagine it will. With a 15 front i will only be able to run 37-39-41 again. Im gunna do some measuring and see why my sprocket guard wont work with a 35. Cuz i may need a 35 rear. If i can clearance the sprocket guard i will just do that.

• Like 1

No,no,no,no....... put the 15 on leave the 36 adjust the chain.... even or odd has nothing to do with it. I've  been swapping front gears back and forth for a long time. 

1 hour ago, TRX2FiveO said:

No,no,no,no....... put the 15 on leave the 36 adjust the chain.... even or odd has nothing to do with it. I've  been swapping front gears back and forth for a long time. 

I can tell you it 100% does. I physically couldnt run a 14/37 or 14/39. I set the chain on and turned the carrier a full 360. There was no where it would get tight unless i put a half link in. Brand new chain and brand new sprockets. And i know how to cut chains to the proper length. It was not possible. 14/38 fit perfect. 14/36. Same went for the 13 i was running when it was a 416. 13/38 didnt work. 13/39 worked. 13/37 worked. 13/36 did not. I tried every single one of these. I have 13 and 14 fronts. And everything from a 36 to a 41 rear. Tried many of combinations. Getting ready to add a 15 front to my collection.

• Like 3

So you don't have enough on your chain adjustment to pull it tight when you put an odd/even sprockets combo on it?

40 minutes ago, retro said:

So you don't have enough on your chain adjustment to pull it tight when you put an odd/even sprockets combo on it?

Exactly. And i dont know how i feel about half links. They just concern me. Strength wise.

I'd be redesigning the chain adjuster then.

The chain adjuster is the bearing carrier for the rear axle. The axle sits off center and you turn it to adjust the chain. I dont honestly see a way to make any modifications to it besides making my own carrier on a lathe out of solid billet. Which would be catastrphicly over priced and take countless hours of work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

I can tell you it 100% does. I physically couldnt run a 14/37 or 14/39. I set the chain on and turned the carrier a full 360. There was no where it would get tight unless i put a half link in. Brand new chain and brand new sprockets. And i know how to cut chains to the proper length. It was not possible. 14/38 fit perfect. 14/36. Same went for the 13 i was running when it was a 416. 13/38 didnt work. 13/39 worked. 13/37 worked. 13/36 did not. I tried every single one of these. I have 13 and 14 fronts. And everything from a 36 to a 41 rear. Tried many of combinations. Getting ready to add a 15 front to my collection.

This is very unusual. Are you saying that a 14/38 will fit? If so I don't think Honda thought that out very well. Very very little tolerance huh?

Edited by Misterclean

31 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

I dont honestly see a way to make any modifications to it besides making my own carrier on a lathe out of solid billet.

Then you must do it! We used to have a large engine lathe in our shop. We made our own pulleys, shafts, all sorts of custom parts... some problems cannot be solved by buying aftermarket, so we made our own parts on the mill and lathe whenever we had to. We made parts for other racers too. Anyone can if I can! 🙂

5 hours ago, retro said:

Then you must do it! We used to have a large engine lathe in our shop. We made our own pulleys, shafts, all sorts of custom parts... some problems cannot be solved by buying aftermarket, so we made our own parts on the mill and lathe whenever we had to. We made parts for other racers too. Anyone can if I can! 🙂

I will tell you. Im not scared of alot of things. But making a bearing carrier from scratch is just completely out of my ability. Im thinking they are cut on a cnc? I cant afford that. I could use my machine shop guys lathe. But these things are way out of my wheel house. 100 different angles. They have to fit the bearings in them that the axle spins on. That has to be a specific width. Depth. Circumfrence. And thats only one of the parts to it. I would imagine a block of billet to make one out of would be well out of my price range to just buy one. If i was buying a 1000 and making them to sell that would be a different story. I will never say anything is impossible. But for me to do this task would 100% be.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Misterclean said:

This is very unusual. Are you saying that a 14/38 will fit? If so I don't think Honda thought that out very well. Very very little tolerance huh?

Pretty much what im saying is some combinations require a half link in the chain. This isnt hondas fault. I have an aftermarket swing arm length which i have a feeling is to blame for this odd situation. The adjustment is designed to only account for chain stretch which chains dont stretch like a whole inch so adjustment doesnt ever need to be a crazy amount.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

got my attention on this... can you post pics of the rear carrier ? 

Screenshot_20200505-183908_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

Fair 'nuff! Someone should improve that carrier design though, make it more adjustable. There must not be a market for them.

55 minutes ago, retro said:

Fair 'nuff! Someone should improve that carrier design though, make it more adjustable. There must not be a market for them.

Yeah oddly enough its the same exact design as the 250r. 450r. And many others. Even other brands use a similar design.

• Like 2

You put the 15 on the front that chain will.tighten... put the bowl down and walk away slowly😂😂 I swap front all the time dude odd or even it doesnt matter. If it tightens with a 14/36 itll tighten with a 15... humor me

• Like 1

I will make sure when i get the 15 tooth sprocket i will try the 15/36 and record it. But i know the trend i was seeing. I dont know 100% sure until i try it. But its a real odd cooincidence if nothing else. Time will tell. I got alittle more to save up to get the glann innovations case saver and crf skid plate ordered. Until i do that the 15 tooth sprocket will do me no good.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Pretty much what im saying is some combinations require a half link in the chain. This isnt hondas fault. I have an aftermarket swing arm length which i have a feeling is to blame for this odd situation. The adjustment is designed to only account for chain stretch which chains dont stretch like a whole inch so adjustment doesnt ever need to be a crazy amount.

Well that helps my understanding some. Thanks for putting up with us. We just can't wrap our heads around this! LOL

Edited by Misterclean

32 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

Well that helps my understanding some. Thanks for putting up with us. We just can't wrap our heads around this! LOL

No worries bud! Im a good sport! Haha

• Like 3