SlammedRanger

400ex stroker (440ex) build thread

4 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

No worries bud! Im a good sport! Haha

I've been riding dirt bikes for decades and never had a problem like this. Just a limit on the counter

shaft sprocket before it hits the case.

3 hours ago, Misterclean said:

I've been riding dirt bikes for decades and never had a problem like this. Just a limit on the counter

shaft sprocket before it hits the case.

16 tooth w/ case saver.. not a glann but hey🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRX2FiveO said:

16 tooth w/ case saver.. not a glann but hey🤷🏻‍♂️

I looked at the one you have. Im a big fan of the poly ones. The one i have now is a moose racing polymer one. If it fit a 15 tooth i would just stick with it. Glann sells a poly one that eliminates the lower chain roller and it actually fits over the shifter shaft to add support for that aswell. I plan to order there crf skid plate at the same time. Im about 20 bucks short of ordering them.

So i took some videos for evidence that a 15/36 combo will 100% not work on my quad. I have a 37 tooth rear on order and a chain breaker/rivet tool so i can use a rivet type link where i added the link. To mainatain as much strength as i can. Uploading the videos to youtube and will post them asap. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Looks like you're  removing more than 1 link dude. Not saying you're  crazy !...Show me what you  took out. Also with it all the way adjusted like that suspended its gonna have all of that slack. I've never ever ran into a quad needing an odd or even gear set. 

4 minutes ago, TRX2FiveO said:

Looks like you're  removing more than 1 link dude. Not saying you're  crazy !...Show me what you  took out. Also with it all the way adjusted like that suspended its gonna have all of that slack. I've never ever ran into a quad needing an odd or even gear set. 

I added 1 link. Didnt remove anything. Since i was going up from a 14 to a 15. The link i added was one skinny piece with 2 holes. And 1 wide piece with 2 pins. Cant add just one or you cant connect the 2 ends of chain. With it adjusted all the way tight and quad suspended i could make contact between the chain and swing arm 4 inches of up and down movement. Once i put it down on the ground i had about 3 inches of up and down on the chain. I have never ran into this before either. I have never had a quad i couldnt tighten the chain all the way tight and then loosen it so i had 1 1/4-1 5/8 inches deflection like the fsm says is what your supposed to have.

• Like 1

The company who made that stretched swingarm screwed it up. Its too long by about 1/4" else your chain would have fit on the 1st attempt without adding a link.

• Like 2

I just buy rk chains, what ever is over 100 links and is the cheapest. As long as its a 520. This time i got a 116 link rk chain for 65.00. I know how to cut chains to length so ordering them in specific length doesnt really matter to me. There are non specific length chains to be had real cheap sometimes.

***Update***

If the rain ever stops here i can hopefully go test this gearing out. I did get the 15 tooth front sprocket on. The crf skid plate on. And the glann case saver. This is where i learned i shouldnt use my memory for things. So i had thought i was running a 14/36. I was actually running a 14/37. So i now have 2 brandnew 37 tooth sprockets for a 400ex if anyone wants one? LoL. Because with the 15 tooth front i cant use a 37 at all. So i installed my old 38 tooth i had since i spent all the time installing the rivet type master link in my chain already. The positive side. I can run a 15/36 if this 15/38 isnt enough gear. The negative side. Dont have a 36 tooth at all yet........its ordered now incase i need it.

20200513_200606.jpg

20200518_164412.jpg

• Like 3

I love this build... 

You make me want to run out & pick me up a 400ex! 

Hats off...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I love this build... 

You make me want to run out & pick me up a 400ex! 

Hats off...

Thanks man! Im just chomping at the bit to ride already. Still waiting on my lonestar steering stem also. Got to be really patient with ordering anything from them since they build to order. It was over a month ago i ordered it. But once i get that and install it i am done spending money. Hopefully time to go do some racing.

• Like 3

Well after banishing my quad to the mobile storage unit a.k.a the toyhauler lol. To work on a buddys polaris........ugh. I got it back in the garage and had some spare time to remove the shocks to send off to BNR for there freshen up treatment. And while i was at it i dropped the needle clip down one slot to see if it stopped the black smoke when revving on it. And all i can say is wow! It really likes that needle change. Cant wait for it to get warm so i can test ride it. But just revving in the garage it seems alot more crisp. And no more black smoke. I also didnt get a single comment from the wife or daughter about smelling like gas! So that seems like progress to me. LoL

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Jlodini36 said:

Who made tbis piece 

The 12th of this month was the last time  @TRX2FiveO logged in , I just hailed him for you , @SlammedRanger likely knows the answer to your question 

1 hour ago, Jlodini36 said:

Who made tbis piece 

Hey man. It's a piece I had made by Mike's Custom machine. I dont remember what it cost me? Jerry White is the only other one I know of that has ever made one . I'm sure other have. This one was made to fit my Lectron, which is considerably larger than a stock 400 carb. I'm easier to find on FB (Darryl Bennett) I'm on alot of 400 forums there. I dont think I'veever mentioned it to @SlammedRanger . @Fishfilesthanks for the heads-up. I not here much anymore. I should be but I'm not😬😂😂

1 hour ago, Jlodini36 said:

Who made tbis piece 

Edited by TRX2FiveO
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, TRX2FiveO said:

Hey man. It's a piece I had made by Mike's Custom machine. I dont remember what it cost me? Jerry White is the only other one I know of that has ever made one . I'm sure other have. This one was made to fit my Lectron, which is considerably larger than a stock 400 carb. I'm easier to find on FB (Darryl Bennett) I'm on alot of 400 forums there. I dont think I'veever mentioned it to @SlammedRanger . @Fishfilesthanks for the heads-up. I not here much anymore. I should be but I'm not😬😂😂

Wow  , That was amazing , I threw out a Hail Mary  and you popped up 42 minutes later at 6:00AM  in the morning ----- good to see you around , hope to see you more