SlammedRanger

400ex stroker (440ex) build thread

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Looking GREAT! Everything cleaned up real nice. Glad to hear you are replacing all bearings... I mean when it's tore down, that's the time. 

Yeah on the subject of the bearings. Was just working on getting the new ones pressed in and i find that the main shaft bearing on the right side case half doesnt match numbers new to old. So i checked rockymountains website and they gave me the correct part number on the package but now im wondering if honda packaged it wrong. Its even more scary that all the other bearings part numbers match up perfectly. So i will be calling rockymountain tomorrow to find out whats up with this. Glad i found it now. Considering i still havent gotten my crank back yet so i have time on my side yet. Cylinder head is getting sent out next to get a full race port and polish treatment.

**Update**

Rockymountainatv/mc has some of the best customer service around. Called and talked to a very knowledgable person. He pulled a bearing from his stock to check P# on it for me. It appears honda has changed bearings for this specific model and place for some reason. The reason we do not know. But i can rest easy knowing it will work just fine. Got the head all broke down to send out for the port and polish job. Got the last bearing replaced and now i just gotta put the new sleeve in the jug and take it to the machine shop. Still waiting on word from crankworks. They did call and confirm what i sent it in for. Just waiting on the call that the job is done so i can pay and get it being sent back. More updates to come.

• Like 5

First time using plastidip. We will see how it holds up. Good thing is if it doesnt hold up i can easily just peel it off. I like the color.

20200105_093553.jpg

• Like 2

It's looks great! And i hate delivering bad news......  But ..... You didn't mask the bolt holes... And thats a must do! Soon as you torque those case bolts down, she's gunna wrinkle on you, then start peeling ..... Plasti dip is tricky to deal with.... TRUST me! You might try using an exacto knife to trim ?? this is the general idea of how i masked those bolts holes , when i dipped my 300 wheels..... Note.... The longer it stays on... The tougher it becomes ..... I hope you have better luck the @m_quick and myself have had, I've had to touch mine up a few times.... And...... Any kind of petroleum product will dissolve plasti-dip... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

It's looks great! And i hate delivering bad news......  But ..... You didn't mask the bolt holes... And thats a must do! Soon as you torque those case bolts down, she's gunna wrinkle on you, then start peeling ..... Plasti dip is tricky to deal with.... TRUST me! You might try using an exacto knife to trim ?? this is the general idea of how i masked those bolts holes , when i dipped my 300 wheels..... Note.... The longer it stays on... The tougher it becomes ..... I hope you have better luck the @m_quick and myself have had, I've had to touch mine up a few times.... And...... Any kind of petroleum product will dissolve plasti-dip... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Crap....lol. Glad it just peels off and i can try again. I will probably just remove it and put the bolts in and spray it with the bolts in. Then remove them and peel it off the bolt heads. Should work. Or atleast in my head seems logical.

• Like 2

That's what I'd do..... Just be sure to remove those bolts while the dip is still wet, I'd probably use a magnet pin .... I hope it works great, because the color looks good! 

40 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Will the Plasti-dip hold up to heat? Looks really good!

They use it on car rims. And car rims being so close to the brake rotor gets very hot. The bottom end of the quad doesnt really get super hot. But time will tell. I have a feeling my boot is gunna rub it right off. If it does i will peel it off no harm no foul. I will only be out alittle time and a tiny bit of money.

• Like 2

Yeah..... It should resist heat up to, to 200 o F and  i think your right. Slammed .... That boot will probably get it, but it sure does look good! 

• Like 1

*Update* Crank is balanced and being shipped back. They called thursday so i hope to see it early to mid this week. They had it just over a month. When i get it first thing im doing is taking the piston to my machine shop so he can do the bore and hone. Hopefull the port and polish doesnt take a full month. No sign of winter weather here. Got people breathing down my neck to go ride lol.

• Like 3

Come on up, we can rip around on the sleds for a couple days, put away a couple boxes of beverage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, retro said:

Come on up, we can rip around on the sleds for a couple days, put away a couple boxes of beverage.

I think you mis understood me. Im glad to not have snow! LoL. The other day it was 50 degrees out. I was walking around in a t-shirt. This has been a crazy winter. If you could even call it that. Thanks for the invite though man! I appreciate it!

• Like 2

Well today was a discouraging day. Ran into a pretty big issue with the custom piston that was ordered to work with my stroker crank. Got the crank back from crankworks though and it looks real good. I put my head down and got the whole bottom end assembled. Well mostly. Enjoy some pictures.

20200115_223746.jpg

20200115_230115.jpg

20200115_235912.jpg

20200116_004125.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Misterclean said:

What is the problem with the piston?

Hotrods told the vendor that i purchased it from the way they stroke there cranks is a 2mm shorter rod and move the big end pin down 2mm. So 4mil total down into the bore. Come to find out when i get my crank back from crankworks they measure and weigh everything to the gram. The rod on my stroker crank is not 2mm shorter. It is factory length. Which means my custom piston is going to go 2mil above deck height. So i have a 500 dollar cnc machined piston to use as a paper weight now...........

Go Redneck  cut 2mm out  the rod , weld it back and rebalance it on a nail drilled in the tree and a grinder 

• Like 1

Redneck would to be just adding gaskets to make things works. That sucks but when dealing with different people on a single build those mistakes do happen. You do have the piston for your next motor build though.

24 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Redneck would to be just adding gaskets to make things works. That sucks but when dealing with different people on a single build those mistakes do happen. You do have the piston for your next motor build though.

The piston is useless. Unless someone wants to get a custom 2mm shorter rod. It wont work for anything.

Huge shout out to Campbell Enterprises!!!! They are 100% covering this piston fiasco. I will never be able to express my gratitude for what they have done. The stress that has been taken off me is insane. There representative Marshall is a stand up guy. He did all of this research and everything on a day he wasnt even at work. I had his personal email. I have no words. Just a shocked look on my face. Glad to see there are still honest places to deal with out there.

• Like 4

Awesome. I'm glad there are still companies like that out there. 

• Like 2

CE may have earned a bolded text line in your Sig...? Too bad there isn't any space remaining though.... 🙂

• Like 1

Bottom end is in the frame. Waiting for all the topend parts and the piston is my main hold up. Until i get that i cant get the cylinder bore done. But i should be hearing from bp racing about the port and polished head next week i hope. So that will keep me busy lapping valves. More updates to come.

20200117_231335.jpg

• Like 3

***Update*** i got my ported and polished cylinder head back. Oh man is she pretty!

Im a few weeks(atleast) out on getting my piston. Enjoy!

400ex port and polish cylinder head

20200123_150322.jpg

20200123_150340.jpg

20200123_150351.jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

***Update*** i got my ported and polished cylinder head back. Oh man is she pretty!

Im a few weeks(atleast) out on getting my piston. Enjoy!

20200123_150322.jpg

20200123_150340.jpg

20200123_150351.jpg

Excellant work!